Fat BIke BMX

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Fat BIke BMX

Postby jimmie65 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:47 am

I've been working on this rebuild/chop job for a couple of weeks now.
Started with a rusted out BMX fat bike frame; as best I can tell, this was a Mongoose. No brakes, no tubes, and some chainstay damage/

I stripped it down; that took a little work as the pedals were cross-threaded and one crank arm wouldn't come off. Sanded off the worst of the rust and primered the frame and fork.

A little more work on the crank arm (2 days of letting penetrating oil soak in and then beating the hell out of it with a rubber mallet) got it off without damaging the bottom bracket. Taped everything up, then 3 coats of Rustoleum with a day between each one, and 2 clear coat layers.

I wanted to leave it a little rough, but not sure I'm happy with the paint job. Once the bike is assembled, I may strip it back down and repaint.

Next step is some reflective skull stickers and another clear coat layer. Two weeks, if our temps stay at 75-80, and I should be able to put this back together.

Wheels still need cleaning.

I've got the v-brakes and a couple of chromed BMX stems to choose from. Already ordered a layback seatpost and will probably use a cruiser saddle.

Biggest decision is the handlebars - definitely ape hangers, but black or silver? And how big?

Here's a pic of what I've going for, though mine will be rougher and have a few skulls on it.
Current bbb bikes - Mongoose Beast, Iron Horse Yakuza 5.1. Other bikes - Marin Fairfax, Specialized Sequoia, and Torker Tristar. Other "other" bikes - Cyco-cycle, Razor DXT drifter. Current project - 1995 Specialized Hard Rock to gravel grinder.
jimmie65

Re: Fat BIke BMX

Postby desertguns » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:27 am

That's a great challenge. I am in no way a BMX guy but I sure do like the fat BMX. I don't think I've ever seen one in person. How wide are the rims? And are the brakes the Fred Fintstone style?
desertguns

Postby jimmie65 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:33 am

desertguns wrote:That's a great challenge. I am in no way a BMX guy but I sure do like the fat BMX. I don't think I've ever seen one in person. How wide are the rims? And are the brakes the Fred Fintstone style?

It's going to be more of a cruiser when completed.

RIms are just under 4"; the tires are 20x4.25".

It's got the mounts for v-brakes on the rear and a hole for a caliper brake on the front fork. I'd rather go with a front brake (both safety and looks) but I have the v-brakes for the rear already. I may drag it down to the LBS and see if they can help me find a front brake wide enough.
Current bbb bikes - Mongoose Beast, Iron Horse Yakuza 5.1. Other bikes - Marin Fairfax, Specialized Sequoia, and Torker Tristar. Other "other" bikes - Cyco-cycle, Razor DXT drifter. Current project - 1995 Specialized Hard Rock to gravel grinder.
jimmie65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:13 pm

I know it has a bad reputation, but bondo type fillers can be slathered over the whole thing and sanded smooth with 300 grit, Primer, sand with 400grit, and Rustoleum does pretty good over that.

I've seen those 20" fat cruisers in Daytona, they look cool on the bike paths and boardwalks. Not so much on the beach.. I guess the small diameter doesn't roll over sand so good. Some of those I saw were stretched and still in black primer with chrome pieces. Looks like a fun project :)
Tomcat65

Postby jimmie65 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm holding off on repairing the chainstay damage until I get a chance to ride this thing. If the damage isn't structural, then I'll fill it as best I can with JB Weld, bondo over it, and then sand and paint. If the dent weakened the chainstay, my son welds and I'll get him to repair it with a patch; not sure how I will blend that in, but I doubt it will be necessary = 95% sure it's not structural.
jimmie65

Postby jimmie65 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Anyone know where to find affordable but ridiculously oversized ape hangers?

The tallest I've found are these:
They've got a 25" rise. I've actually got the silver version on a cruiser right now.

But considering that I'll be using a BMX stem, I think something taller would be better, more around 32".
jimmie65

Postby desertguns » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 am

I've used Master Lowrider & Status Suspension & another i cant think of just now. Most California lowrider shops online have more options than you can believe. Master Lowrider is also a good place just to browse for ideas.
desertguns

Postby jimmie65 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks. Took a look at both those sites. Master lowrider has the same 25" hangers. Status Suspension has some great prices, but not the hangers - I will definitely keep it bookmarked.

I have a feeling what I want isn't out there. Might get some pipe and have a set welded.
jimmie65

Return to Fat Bikes