Mongoose Hitch (Malus) Fat Bike

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Hitch Fat Bike

Postby Highspeedgt » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:28 pm

desertguns wrote:Welcome to the forum, Highspeed! I like those cranks. What did you use for the bottom bracket? Always looking for good alternatives as it's been a sore spot for the Mongoose steel frame fatties. Anything else you'd care to share as well. Always looking for new tricks around here.

Thanks! These cranks and sprocket have made a huge difference. I'm currently using the YST sealed bottom bracket with stock spindle. It's done pretty well, so I haven't had the urge to go any further as of yet. I'm planning to swap tires, bars, and derailleur soon. I'm going to attempt to equip the Hitch with a Deore clutch equipped derailleur.
Highspeedgt

Re: Mongoose Hitch (Malus) Fat Bike

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Not sure if it's clutched but Tomcat is running a 9 speed SLX RD on his 8 speed freewheel. I saw clutched mid-cage RDs for $45-$60 when I was looking so the tech has finally tricked down. I went another way instead. I'm keeping 2x7 & a straight pull RD but a newer style w/ shorter cage & bigger cogs. Its a replacement for the TX55 & TX75 & still works with a 34T Mega freewheel. I have (had) more issues with debris snagging the cable loop & rocks & wood hitting the RD with that long cage being so low to the ground. Single track & sand/snow runners don't have those problems. At least not consistently. Stuff to consider depending on where you plan to ride.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Since my Hitch has lost it's wheels to a better cause, the Dolomite, the question becomes what to do with it. Throwing the old wheels on after rebuilding the axles really doesn't make sense since I'll still never have a reason to ride the thing. Sell it for $100 bucks? Maybe. But now I'm thinking maybe Hitch trike. "Hitch", another of Pacific cycles endless stream of dumbass bike names they plaster on Mongoose branded products. Can I hook you up with a Hitch? Lets Hitch a ride on the Wallyworld wagon? Anyway, I've been squirreling away some parts with a fat trike in mind for some time. A yard truck or easy ride with the old dog or wife (yes I see the irony). A bright red Hitch trike with 72 spoke chrome wheels may be the ticket ;)
desertguns

Mega freewheel Mongoose Hitch (Malus)

Postby desertguns » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:37 pm

One of the simplest upgrades to these bikes is a 34T Mega Freewheel from Shimano or Sunrace. You do NOT need to change your stock shifter or derailleur. The RD may need a minor adjustment. The photo is of the Dolomite rear wheel mounted on the Hitch. It's in mega-low without any problems.

The drivetrain is stretched about as far as it will go but still rolls smooth.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:30 pm

I could not stand the horrible faded, red-to-pink rims off the Dolomite anymore. Nothing like a fresh rim job to get a new outlook. Last pic of it in this condition. It's about to mutate into something even more horrible than pink rims. :twisted:
desertguns

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:58 pm

LOL
Can't wait to see! :geek:
Tomcat65

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:18 pm

desertguns wrote:It's about to mutate into something even more horrible than pink rims. :twisted:

A three-wheeler with a basket? :)
Bruce

Postby desertguns » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:35 pm

No that fate is about to befall another retired unsuspecting cobweb collector. Probably, although it was on the list of zombie candidates.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm

I decided to build a easy riding fat cruiser to ride with the wife & dogs. The wheels off the Hitch (same as Malus) are now on the Dolomite & the rebuilt Dolo wheels, w/ 34T mega freewheel, are now on the Hitch. So is the Schwinn seat from the Genesis 29er, rack, seat post & bars from the Beast & stem mount friction shifters from a thrift store. Also has a Vee8 tire up front & Mission on the back. Will also get the original alloy brake levers from the Deception

The grip shifter is a SRAM MRX that came stock on the first issue Mongoose Deception. It's an improvement over the stock no-name, which slip-shifted easily on bumps. I'm going to see if I can get used to a stem shifter but am now thinking of saving those for another project. I'm only using the rear disk brake & it's plenty for desert cruising & monsoon mud running.(EDIT - reinstalled the stock Hitch brake lever to find out if it's "dangerous" as stated by another Hitch owner.) The red stem is a Black Ops BMX & the only new part except for cables - just some Shimano SS & noname teflon lined housing. Still have to sort out a few things. I have a "bitch" bar off a Harley Sporster & was thinking of attaching it to the seat stays & getting a banana seat. It's not out of the question :roll:
desertguns

Postby Bruce » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm

I like that handlebar. I'm going for an easy riding fat cruiser too.

Did you ever look at how your hub and freewheel mate?
Bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes