Mongoose Hitch (Malus) Fat Bike

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Hitch (Malus) Fat Bike

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:46 pm

First, lets get one thing out of the way. The Hitch (or Malus) is in no way just a Dolomite with hole punched rims. I had that misconception until I actually saw it. It is lighter than a Dolomite due to smaller & tapered seat stays, chain stays & slimmed & tapered fork. There is also slightly less tire clearance on the back end & a full 1/2" less on the fork. Not a big deal if you stick with stock 4" meats. I have a Vee Bulldozer on the way & will see how tight it is on the back of the Hitch.

The rotors are a big improvement over the stock Dolomite rotors - see pic. I don't remember what the stock calipers were like as they're long gone. The Hitch calipers are easy to adjust. BTW - the set screw is a 2mm allen, not 2.5mm as listed in the manual. And, for those of you replacing the rotors, those are TORX head screws, not hex! :P

I had planned to just throw the wheels on my Dolomite but have decided to hold off & look at other options - in part due to Tomcat's Malus build thread. Thanks Dude :twisted: :twisted: More later
Last edited by desertguns on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
desertguns

Re: Mongoose Hitch Fat Bike

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 pm

It's not a bad looking ride.

Last edited by desertguns on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Tires - Just rode a few miles with the dog & bike works fine. Cheap twist shifters are touchy as expected but functional.

One important note worth mentioning concerning tires. BUY NEW TIRES! And good undersized tubes don't hurt either. Two points to Pacific Cycle for finally putting a knobby tire on a fat bike. However, the stock tire is no better than the original Beast or Dolomite meats for fat performance. Most people don't ride these bike as intended so it may not make as much difference to them. A stock 27 TPI wire bead tire does not give anything close to the flotation ride these bikes are capable of. You're simply cheating yourself. And for the weight weenies, you'll easily drop 1.5 to 2 lbs immediately. The old Dolomite runs a Vee Mission 60 TPI on the back & V-8 120 (?) TPI on the front, both folding bead tires. Even the old 60 TPI is way way more supple than the factory treads. The old Dolomite squeaks terribly but the fat ride is much better than the new Hitch. When you think fat, think float. Wire bead, low thread count truck tires do not float. Watch the sale & you'll find something for under $50 ea. Worth every penny IF you ride off road.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm

My bike came greased. Not all are I guess. I also threw in a pic of the bottom bracket bearings I use on the Beast (retired mostly), Dolomite & will go on the Hitch if I decide to use the frame. Keep in mind the stock bearings are all loose/uncaged balls so be careful not to spill them when checking or re-greasing.
desertguns

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:33 pm

WOW, that Arizona sun does NOT let up on red paint eh?
Keep that pretty Hitch in the shade!
And keep posting from Flickr!
Tomcat65

Postby Highspeedgt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 am

New to the forum, but I've been rolling on my hitch for several hundred miles now. I've made quite a few changes to her since new, and I'm finally getting to the point where she rides really good on the trails. Thought I might share.

Here are the upgrades I've done so far, along with a review of the original bike.
https://youtu.be/ytaJ3TRHlOU
Attachments
IMG_20171025_135058.jpg
IMG_20171025_135058.jpg (504.82 KiB) Viewed 464 times
Highspeedgt

Postby desertguns » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, Highspeed! I like those cranks. What did you use for the bottom bracket? Always looking for good alternatives as it's been a sore spot for the Mongoose steel frame fatties. Anything else you'd care to share as well. Always looking for new tricks around here.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Got the 4.25” Vee Bulldozer & 4.8” Surly Knard today & wanted to post first observations. Don’t bust me on the oz to gr weight conversion. Actual grams are posted where oz are rounded.
Vee Bulldozer 26 x 4.25 120 tpi, folding bead. Actual weight is 3# 3oz / 1446 grams with advertised weight of 1350 grams
Surley Knard 26 x 4.8 120 tpi, folding bead. Actual weight is 3# 4 oz / 1472 grams with advertised weight of 1506 grams
Stock street tread Dolomite tire is 6# 5oz or 2873grams or, metric sh*tloads of dead weight.
Stock Hitch tires (on new Dolomites too) 1884 gram & 1798 grams

Vee always lies about tire weights, as do many mfgs. First time out with Surly & it is lighter than spec. Good on them.

My goal here is to finally have a front/rear combo suitable for desert XC & mountain pine needles, downed wood & forest trail. 3 years ago those condition specific tires weren't yet available & most scoffed at riding a fat boy like a MTB or even hard XC. Times change. Surly has a line & a few others are toe dipping but I’m not will to pay list prices on those. Both the Dozer & Knard happened to be on sale at Universal. Deeply discounted.

I won’t get to swapping the tires off the Hitch till this weekend but will post those weights & frame clearance pics as well. I suspect they are lighter than the old street tread Dolomites, which Pacific switched over to the current aggressive tire on the steel multi-grear fat bikes in late 2014 or early ‘15. Dolo included.
Last edited by desertguns on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:57 pm

A few pics of old & new. No pics of the Surly yet.

Bulldozer & stock tire on Hitch

Dozer & Vee8

Dozer & Vee Mission
desertguns

Re: Mongoose Hitch (Malus) Fat Bike

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:23 pm

So you're wondering if those 4.8" Surly Knards will fit your Hitch or Malus...Yes, sort of. Maybe. You have about 3/8" clearance on the fork but, ZERO clearance on the back at the chainstays. I read somewhere here that a member trimmed the side knobs on a tire t fit his bike. That's what you'd have to do here as well. Now that's not to say another brand of 4.8" advertised tire won't fit, or a 4.7" might fit even tighter. These are not legal standards tediously adhered to by asian tire manufacturers. Just know if you're in that width territory, you'll just have to try. BTW the stock tubes are marked 4.0" - 4.9" so no problem there. BBTW - They DO fit a Dolomite with no issues :mrgreen:

Front

Rear

Ouch!
desertguns

Next

Return to Fat Bikes