New 26" mid-fat Mongoose Hondo at Kmart

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

New 26" mid-fat Mongoose Hondo at Kmart

Postby dddd » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:44 pm

I visited Kmart today and saw they had three new Mongoose Hondos with 26x3" rims/tires.

Like the 27.5" Hondo, the rims are very wide and the tires are labeled as 2.8 or 3"" width, but that width depends on their being fitted to the super-wide rims. The 26" Hondo rims are much deeper section than the 27.5" Hondo rims, with spokes drilled down the middle of the rim instead of along the left and right sides. So the problem with the 27.5" Hondo's derailer hitting the spokes is eliminated on the 26" model.

The rest of the bike, including all of the components, is all the same as on the 27.5" Hondo or Terrex, except for the fork. This new 26" Hondo fork has the fork tubes welded to a steel crown, instead of being pressed into an aluminum crown.
The price is also the same, $250 not on sale.
WalMart's Huffy Fortress is the other 26" bbb mid-fat hard-tail, but currently sells for only $99. It has rim brakes instead of discs, which is not all bad when one considers how flexible of a fork that all of these bikes have. The Fortress also betters the Hondos with aluminum crankarms instead of steel.
These 26" mid-fat bikes have shorter top-tubes than the 27.5" Mongeese mid-fat bikes, so are more medium-sized, i.e. smaller than the Terrex/Hondo models.

http://www.kmart.com/mongoose-26-inch-m ... ckType=G1#
dddd

Re: New 26" mid-fat Mongoose Hondo at Kmart

Postby dddd » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:09 pm

I happened to be in Kmart yesterday, and while my ride to the store was grabbing up close-out buys on gift wrap, I grabbed a tape measure and took another look at the 26" Hondo.

The tires measure a true, inflated 2.8" wide, mounted on 57mm wide rims, so that is the same as the 27.5" Hondo.

But for some reason, they went with odd-ball (really odd-ball) width standards for the bottom bracket shell (85mm) and rear frame spacing (155mm).
I can't understand why, since a standard 68mm shell and now-common economy/QR "boost" standard of 141mm in back worked perfectly well with the 27.5" Hondo with same-width rims and tires, and both bikes with triple cranks and 7s freewheels (a 135mm rear wheel even works fine in the 141mm frame, once the quick release clamps the mild-steel frame down against the axle locknuts).

This doesn't look good, since the typical Mongoose fast-wearing bottom bracket will not find an easy replacement like it did on my 27" Hondo, and that longer rear axle will be impossible to find in a 10mm solid size.

But the $249 price is simply smashed by WalMart's $99 Huffy Fortress with it's aluminum crankarms, even if it does also feature rim brakes instead of discs.

I also measured the saddle height, came up just short of 29" up from the bb with post set at the limit line.
dddd

Postby NYMXer » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:08 am

I am interested in buying an inexpensive fat or plus bike and like bikes like this one, but with so many others out there..... which is really the best one to get? Any 4.0 or 3.0 bike... suspension is not needed but front suspension is nice
NYMXer

Postby to the beach » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:01 pm

4.0 bikes can run around 10 PSI to take the most advantage in soft terrain and for suspension like feel. Can these 3.0s run low pressure?
to the beach

Postby dddd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am

to the beach wrote:4.0 bikes can run around 10 PSI to take the most advantage in soft terrain and for suspension like feel. Can these 3.0s run low pressure?

I weigh 140lb and ran the pressure at 15psi over rocky trails on my Hondo for nearly a full 500 miles.

When I upgraded to lighter tires I had to increase pressure all the way up to 26psi before I stopped getting pinch flats while riding the same trails over the next 300 miles, so the original stiff tires needed a lot less air to protect the tubes and rims! I decided to go tubeless at this point with some new i35mm rims that I am building up into a wheelset, one piece at a time.
dddd

Return to Fat Bikes