Diamondback El Oso Gordo

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Diamondback El Oso Gordo

Postby Zencycle » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:06 pm

All right, I finally pulled the trigger on a fat bike and chose this one from Dicks for cyber Monday. Marked down to 499 with an extra 25% off and free shipping so was only 375 before tax:

Hoping it turns out to be a good deal. Most of the reviews for these have been pretty good. Doesn't have to be the greatest ride in the world as I will mainly be using it for winter commuting but also hoping to hit some trails now and then and maybe try out a little bikepacking in the summer.

once I get the thing delivered and assembled, i'll get some miles on it and give everyone my unexpert review!
Zencycle

Re: Diamondback El Oso Gordo

Postby Zencycle » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:25 pm

The bike was delivered on the morning of Global Fat Bike Day, naturally! Took it in right after lunch to get assembled and had it home at dinner time.

First off, the bike is very light! My daughter has a 26" mongoose full suspension mountain bike and the DB fat bike weighs several pounds less!

I ordered a 16" size and with my 30" inseam the bike fits perfectly. The disc brakes seem a little loose but that may be how the assembler likes them. The grip shifter makes for a VERY small right hand grip - will have to be careful not to shift accidentally.

Woke up to 4" of snow so it was the perfect time to try out the bike and it handled beautifully. Right through the wet snow, even the slushly stuff on the street. Brakes squeaked a bit which just may have been tbe wet.

Only one ride but I am very happy so far!
Zencycle

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 pm

It is sharp!
Obviously, an aluminum framed fat bike is going to cost a lot more than the heavy steel WM versions. But catching this bike on sale was a major score!
Looking forward to seeing more about this bike
Tomcat65

Postby Zencycle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Its a steel frame but lighter than a lot of the others. I am very pleased, it was a good deal

Swapped out the standard pedals that came with some Odyssey Tom Dugan Grandstand ones for a much bigger platform
Zencycle

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:23 am

Zencycle wrote:Its a steel frame but lighter than a lot of the others.

Well dern, I thought you had found the aluminum framed, budget fatbike so many of us dream of
:P
Tomcat65

Postby Zencycle » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:
Zencycle wrote:Its a steel frame but lighter than a lot of the others.

Well dern, I thought you had found the aluminum framed, budget fatbike so many of us dream of
:P

:D think this one is about as close as one can get right now. Local fat bike club is having a new years day ride so going to really put it to the test this weekend
Zencycle

Return to Fat Bikes