Huffy Fortress at WalMart, 26x3" tires, $129.

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Huffy Fortress at WalMart, 26x3" tires, $129.

Postby dddd » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:04 am

Is there a thread here on this model? I can't find anything using the Search box.

Low price for a geared mid-fat bike, V-brakes and a all-steel suspension fork.

Might be a good, lighter choice than my Hondo (Terrex) 27.5b+ bike, a lot less money.

Fork uppers are welded, but maybe the non-disc and shorter fork (than Terrex) would leave them strong enough still.
dddd

Re: Huffy Fortress at WalMart, 26x3" tires, $129.

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:54 am

There was a new semi-fat bike (full suspension) at the local Walmart the other day but I didn't take the time to look closely at it. Looked like the regular "spring" rear "shock" but now that we have an assortment of rear shocks available for big box bikes (and others) that should not be much of an issue any more.

I am a bit concerned at the weight issues of the BBB FS Fat bikes, however. I think I'd stay away from them until the niche manages to sort itself out. For one thing, I'm not convinced that where I would ride a fat bike (snow and sand) needs full suspension (actually, I'm not all that convinced full suspension is that great anyway - and I own two of them).

At any rate I was surprised and please to see fat bikes - in 27.5 and 29 inch wheel sizes - make an appearance at our local WallyWorld because their absence has been notable. (We never even got a Mongoose Pro 29er into this store during its entire production run!!! I was told by the store manager that no one here would buy one!)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby dddd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:31 am

You're right about the weight of these bikes, my Hondo (27.5X3" tires) still weighs well over 40 pounds after my onslaught of needed functional upgrades.

I wouldn't want to add the weight/complexity/maintenance issues of rear suspension to my bike, that is for sure. I am just glad that I was able to get the fork to work ok using premium suspension grease and protective rubber boots on the fork legs. I don't think that replacement parts are available to restore worn rear suspension pivots on these X-mart bikes.

I took a new picture of my bike today with it's latest mod's, since I bought it about five weeks ago:

dddd

Postby oops » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Well I stumbled across the forum after seeing the Fortress 3.0 at my local Walmart. I dont see any real info on the bike on my searches.

I had a fun time with both my Walmart Fatties, Dolomite and Beast, thought maybe this would be a fun one to play with.

Cant find any specs on the bike though, aside from what Huffy/Walmart have posted.

My Walmart has one on their floor, marked down an extra 35%, I assume its a return to its only $84 buck and no tax in OR. Might need to just risk it.

26" Huffy Men's Fortress 3.0 Mid-Fat Plus Tire Mountain Bike:
Frame: durable, satin silver steel frame designed for mountain bike riding comfort, proper fit for a wide range of riders and durability
Grips: Kraton grips give a performance look and comfort feel to your ride
Seat: padded saddle
Brakes: alloy linear pull brakes and Kolo 3-piece alloy crank add superior performance to every ride
Tires: 26" x 3.0" rugged tires handle a mix of terrain
Advantages: 3.0 Bikes increase momentum with less exertion; Plus Tires improve stability and increase control
Rims: black
Speeds: 18
Pedals: double comfort
Box dimensions: 57.1" x 29.1" x 8.3"; 44.8 lbs
Assembly instructions included
Limited Lifetime Warranty from Huffy, making quality bicycles since 1892
oops

Postby dddd » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:58 pm

You'd be buying the whole bike for the cost of the two tires.

I don't think that I would be missing the disc brakes as on my Hondo.

My rim-brake bikes seem to have more responsive braking than the Hondo, all including the Hondo have good brake, cable and rim setup so as to work about as well as they can.

On a high note, the rear disc caliper on my Hondo which had been actuating roughly and with even an occasional skip to the actuation (as if the cable had slipped at the pinch bolt), now working smoothly after I took the caliper completely apart. What had happened is that I had over-reached the arm movement when I backed out the stationary-side adjuster plug/screw, which allowed one of the three ball bearings in the actuator to fall out of it's teardrop-shaped groove and grind against the inside wall of the actuator bore. I put it back together properly with the balls in place and the plug adjuster moved in a couple of turns, and the feel at the lever is now smooth again.

Even at full price, the Fortress still has my eye, even though I am becoming a believer in the bigger diameter tire concept while navigating up and down hill through our local large-scale rock-garden trails.
dddd

Postby Bryann » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:28 pm

For better or worse I impulse bought a similar 3.0 huffy. I haven't even received it and I'm already looking for new forks, deraillures and brakes.. I should have bought something better. Probably going to return it.
Bryann

Postby dddd » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:14 pm

The Fortress at $99(!!!) looks really good for what it is, for what you get for the money.

I'm not sure what replacement forks exist that would be suitable for it's odd tire size, which is probably why I don't own one.
A 27.5-plus fork would need to use a wider hub, no?

The newer model, the Tyrant, seems nearly identical, but is now 3x7-speed and has what looks like a different fork, but the bike costs twice as much?
dddd

Postby jasnooks » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:22 am

dddd wrote:The Fortress at $99(!!!) looks really good for what it is, for what you get for the money.

I'm not sure what replacement forks exist that would be suitable for it's odd tire size, which is probably why I don't own one.

I've been eyeballing the fortress for a while, to replace my winter grocery getter beater. The main thing that turns me off is the fork. I wish the BBB manufacturers would just put a rigid fork on bikes like this, rather that trying to make it look "cool" with a POS suspension fork that does nothing except make the bike handle worse.

I came across this fork, Kona 26" cro-mo suspension corrected fork, v-brake only. 440mm axle to crown, with 100mm hub spacing.
It looks like the 100mm (just under 4") spacing stays the same all the way up the fork, which would be plenty of clearance for a 2.8-3" wide tire.
My only question would be, how wide is the hub on the fortress. If it's 100mm, I don't see why this fork wouldn't work.

Mfr Part #: CMPFKP226R
Model: Kona P2 Mtn Canti, 440a-c

http://www.bikeman.com/KON-P2MTN440.htm ... oCiS_w_wcB

Thoughts?
jasnooks

Postby dddd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:04 pm

The bbb suspension forks are not known for being much good, but for off road riding I think that they can be better than rigid forks.

These all-steel forks (and many of the ones with alloy lower legs and crown) don't have a good enough fit between the lowers and uppers for the seals to work properly, so the fork usually starts grinding itself down from the inside out after just a few rides off road. From then on, the fork won't move freely and the sloppy fit gets even worse.

If the fork leg sliding surfaces are covered with boots when they are still new, and perhaps after the fork is rebuilt with suspension grease, then the fork can work smoothly for quite a while.

The other issue with the forks with welded lowers is flex, which is a more serious problem if the bike has disc brakes. These bbb's with V-brakes aren't too bad with the original suspension fork, ...if the original spring can be adjusted to suit the rider and if the fork is kept clean and well lubricated inside.

I've kept low-end Suntour, Zoom/Element and RST forks on board long enough to have a go at the servicing then riding hundreds of miles on trails, but haven't tried any of the KOLO forks yet. I hope they aren't any worse than the others.

At least this $99 Huffy has a 1-1/8" steerer tube, which makes future fork upgrade possible. Looking at a lot of other bikes costing more than this, quite a few only have 1" fork steerer so not practical to upgrade the fork. I think that a standard Suntour 26" suspension fork might fit this bike's wide tires, because the Terrex/Hondo's 2.8" front tire/rim fits in a standard Suntour 27.5" fork just fine.
dddd

Postby jasnooks » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Just saw the Fortress in person at a local Walmart with a $79 price tag on it!
I just went in to look at bikes because I had an hour to waste while I was waiting on the bus.
To bad I only had $30 in my pocket. I totally would have impulse bought it. The matte blue looks great in person, and I was happy to see that all the stickers were peelable. I'm not much of a sticker bling guy. I like things plain and simple.
Hopefully it's still there on payday later this week.

jasnooks

Return to Fat Bikes