tjw7676's Warhawk initial impressions

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: tjw7676's Warhawk initial impressions

Postby bhaskell » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:00 am

The problem with the fork is that its just very poor quality. There is no adjustability or lockout. There is quite a bit of movement (slop) in fork and the springs are very light, so the fork will bottom out easily. I ordered the surly kramus fork recommended on this thread, it was $99 shipped. With the rigid fork you know what your getting. The tires provided enough cushion you probably won't miss the front shock.
bhaskell

Postby bhaskell » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:33 am

So I went for a ride yesterday morning. Let me start by saying I live in central florida. The area I was riding in was mostly sand, mud and water. We've had weeks of rain here and all of the lower areas are covered in water, some areas were 2' deep.

The bike actually rode very well. Most bikes at this price make lots of noise and don't shift very well. The warhawk did everything flawlessly. The 29x3 tires are great and I was able to go places I couldn't go previously on my standard 29" MTB. Most of the ride yesterday was spend in the low granny gears so there was lots of pedaling, which was a great cardio. On some of the few hard packed areas I was able to get into the higher gears and pick up some speed.

I ordered some 750mm bars, the stock bars are too narrow for my liking. Along with the bars I ordered new grips with bar ends. The stock grips are good, but they are harsh on the bare hands. When my krampus fork comes in, I'm going to use the longer stem to bring the bars up higher so I don't have to lean over quite so much. I also ditched the stock pedals and replaced them with an older set of aluminum pedals with toe clip baskets. These came in handy during the ride as the toe clips help me get more power out of my strokes.

I set the tire air pressure at 16psi front and 17psi rear. I'm 225lbs and this pressure felt pretty good to me. There is some single track trails with very large roots and the bike just rolled over everything.
bhaskell

Postby Ej410 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:52 am

So I completely blew my front fork out yesterday after 7-10 rides on the bike I do a lot of down hill stuff nothing crazy just enough to be fun I guess my question is will the rock shox xc30tk fit the 29x3 tire?
Ej410

Postby Ej410 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 am

So I completely blew my front fork out yesterday after 7-10 rides on the bike I do a lot of down hill stuff nothing crazy just enough to be fun I guess my question is will the rock shox xc30tk fit the 29x3 tire?
Ej410

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:05 am

The Rock Shox XC T30 tk hasn't had the greatest reviews, one image stands out to me more than any:
I've seen guys discuss what size tire will fit this fork in threads that run in every direction, but the question of size is usually between 2.2 and 2.5 tires. Of course the consensus among the snooty crowd, who no one rides as pro as they do, all say stick with a 2.35 to keep the mud from clogging up your works, and stay out of our way. :roll:

The 2.8 x 29 tires and larger, seem to be creating a void in the market for suspension forks and suitable frames. There are a few frames by brands like Surly, they will take a variety of different tire/wheel sizes. When WTB announced their 27.5+ tire and wheel combination a few years ago, it was marketed to fit some 29'er frames. I considered it myself, but the 2.4's on my bike pretty well fill my frame and fork. I can tell you with utmost certainty, an RST 29'er fork will not hold a 29+ tire. Some of the Suntour forks have a lot of clearance around the tire, but without seeing one in real life, I could never say one fork will fit, or another won't. Manitou forks with the bridge connecting the lowers being behind the crown, look like they might have more upward clearance to fit a larger tire, but side to side, I have no idea.

Your main concern, is going to be the hub width, it has to match the new fork, the majority of BBB's are 100mm spacing, while many plus bikes are 110mm. That makes a huge difference.. I have no idea what the Warhawk hub spacing is.

Some have swapped the rigid Surly fork, but I understand wanting a suspension fork. It makes a huge difference when riding aggressively in many situations. Suspension forks were designed basically, so the rider could ride rough terrain, and still maintain control.
Tomcat65

Postby huffywarhawk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 am

Hi,

Glad to see a dedicated thread for Huffy Warhawk. I recently bought a Huffy warhawk from Walmart. I feel its good value for price with all the features. I have ridden this for about 4-5 times on beginner level trails. Now I am observing a slight play in front end. I inspected and tightened the stem, headset region. Still I see some play.

When closely observed after taking off the from wheel, I understand the play is in the suspension fork. So one side of fork, there is a play between inner and outer leg, which also leads to sideways play. I mean there is play between upper and lower tubes.

Has anyone else observed this on your bicycles? Can this be fixed?
I intend to replace the fork with a better suspension fork or may be rigid one. But not immediately unless I can fix this issue.

I appreciate your support. Thank you.
Moderators, please create a new thread if this reply is not relevant here.

Thank you.
huffywarhawk

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:36 pm

HW, you came to the right place.
Unfortunately, there is very little fix for the springy pogo forks. I wish there was an easy fix, it would be wildly popular here. So far, the best I've seen done with these forks is disassemble and rebuild with care and whatever upgrades are readily available. Heavier springs have been discussed, tighter bushings have been considered, our own dddd has done as much to preserve these forks as anyone I've seen on here. Adding bellows style covers to try to keep contamination out, but as far as tightening and eliminating flex, there is very little one can do. IF you do decide to upgrade, keep in mind that many aftermarket forks have tire size limits, other than that, match the hub width, the QR style dropouts and 1 1/8 steerer tube.
Tomcat65

Postby huffywarhawk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 am

Thank you Tomcat65. I will give it a try by tightening or rebuilding the fork for now as a quick fix until i do some research about rigid forks and find a right one.
I do not see a bottom bolt to disassemble the fork leg. And at the top also, there are two rubber caps. If I remove the cap, i do not see any bolts/nuts which I can remove. Is this fork not meant to be disassembled?
huffywarhawk

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Most of them have a hex/Allen head screw deep down in the tube from the top. It takes a long extension or a really long Allen wrench to reach down to it.
Tomcat65

Postby ElementalMember » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

2017-09-13.jpg
Rear wheel axle bendage
2017-09-13.jpg (137.76 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Not sure how this happened, but it did.
'15 Jamis Dakar AMT Comp (650b)
'15 Huffy Warhawk (29er)
'15 Felt F4x (700c)
ElementalMember

PreviousNext