Mongoose Dolomite Adult Fat Bike

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Dolomite Adult Fat Bike

Postby dddd » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:49 am

LOL, sounds like someone thought that the limit screw felt loose and needed to be tightened. Seen that many times.

As far as clunky and hesitant shifting, The components may be the culprit:

...Since the MegaRange freewheel forces one to screw in the B-tension screw on the mounting pivot, leaving a bigger gap between the guide pulley and the smaller six cogs, thus making the shifting less responsive.

...The original chain as well, if it is one with the perfectly flat outer sideplates, (clunky and unresponsive shifting guaranteed).
dddd

Postby desertguns » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:01 pm

TucsonBamaEngr wrote:
20160527_Resize.jpg
DesertGuns, how did you like the PASAK fork? I just got one as well for my BEM, and I took it for a good intermediate trail ride yesterday for about 10 miles. This trail is a pretty good test, since it has several unintentional "stair step" features on steep descents; and there is a feature where you descend into a wash and hit an angled 3-4 ft wall of earth on the other side. Here are my impressions of the fork.
1. It is the opposite of putting the bike on a diet, but I can't conclusive say that I felt slower on it. My bathroom scales weren't up for weighing either fork, and I didn't have a better scale for the job.
2. It actually works. It smoothed out the trail pretty well, and I handled the elbow slammer with it. I was less than 50% successful on the rigid fork, but I routinely clear it on my hard tail.
3. I think it's like a Suntour XCT with hydraulic lock out. My hard tail has a Suntour XCM, and the XCM is a better fork (less flexy, smoother action. However, the PASAK is competent.
4. The PASAK fork, along with the MAX and other Chinese offerings on eBay, are the only option for a suspension fork with a 1-1/8" straight steerer that accommodate a 135 mm front axle. We know the Bluto doesn't fit, and the RST Renegate also demands a tapered steerer and 150mm through axle. I don't think anyone else is coming out with a 1-1/8" straight steerer fat bike fork. If you want suspension, and can tolerate an extra 2-3 lbs, I think this is a good option.

Wow. Guess its been a while. Glad you posted a review. My fat suspension fork has been collecting dust, along with the rest of my bike stuff but that will change in a couple weeks. :)
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:19 pm

I started this thread just over 3 1/2 years ago with a bright shiny new Mongoose Dolomite. Here's what it looks like now & 2 of those years were 100% outdoors although usually under a tarp when not in use. This is what a well used Wally bike should look like...

Red wheel paint faded to mottled pink, all red anodized pieces faded (except for the bash guard), cable housing look like hell, black anodized stem now grayish silver, grips gummy with embedded dirt. Don't get me wrong, the drivetrain & brakes are still great but every bearing is shot. I didn't disassemble & re-grease the wheels or BB after the last 2 monsoons & it finally caught up to me. It sounds like Panzer tank treads squeaking around the desert. As I was looking around at bearings & latest fat wheel & axle options, I saw the $220 Hitch at Walmart. I had intended to just grab the wheels & go, but the Hitch is not a Dolomite so further consideration is in order. But that's another thread.

BTW - That straight pull Tourney derailleur has held up with no problems at all.
Last edited by desertguns on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertguns

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Photobucket has done more damage to forums like this, than anything else known to BBCode :x
I've been wondering about the beasts in your lair DG! A steel frame fatbike should last a really long time with reasonable care. I know a kid who seems to try to destroy one, he hasn't succeeded yet.
Pick another photo host and post again :P
Tomcat65

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Photobucket has done more damage to forums like this, than anything else known to BBCode :x
Pick another photo host and post again :P

Do the pics not show up? Had not used photobucket for a long time. Maybe I did something wrong.
desertguns

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Photobucket has become pay-per-view.. $399 annual memberships for your links to work
Tomcat65

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Photobucket has become pay-per-view.. $399 annual memberships for your links to work

Yeah I see that now. Scumbuckets! They worked at first too. What a pain. Edit - All fixed.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Back to bikes - the suspension fork will end up on one of these bikes now that I have a second one to ride while the other gets upgrades & some retrofit. However that works out.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 pm

The beginning of what will be a reborn Dolomite, Dolodid, Dolomite MKII, something clever perhaps...Anyway, the stock Hitch/Malus rims with a 4.25" Vee Bulldozer on front & 4.8" Surly Knard on the back. That's right, 4.8" :twisted: Because the bigger meats fit this frame & not the Hitch/Malus, The Dolo gets the makeover & the Hitch gets the old wheels (which will be rebuilt) & tires & remains stock.

Plenty more chainstay space compared to the Hitch/Malus
Last edited by desertguns on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Next up - It finally gets the suspension fork. At least for a while. Why, you may ask? Arroyos, washes, river rocks & deep but narrow water cuts.
desertguns

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes