Mongoose Dolomite Adult Fat Bike

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Dolomite Adult Fat Bike

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Looking at it this afternoon again & riding it for a while, I think all the red bits are going away & the Dolo MKII will be dark & stealthy. :twisted:
desertguns

Postby desertguns » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:04 pm

Looks much better with some desert coating the new tires :D

desertguns

Postby jimmie65 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:42 am

This thread and others like it are making me really regret getting rid of my Schwinn Excess fat bike.
Current bbb bikes - Mongoose Beast, Iron Horse Yakuza 5.1. Other bikes - Marin Fairfax, Specialized Sequoia, and Torker Tristar. Other "other" bikes - Cyco-cycle, Razor DXT drifter. Current project - 1995 Specialized Hard Rock to gravel grinder.
jimmie65

Postby desertguns » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:35 pm

First batch of part for the Dolo came this week. That's the latest straight pull Tourney that replaces the TX series. Note the cable receiver is turned up toward the seatstay to eliminate the debris catching cable loop. Yeah I paid 6 bucks a piece for the Surly rim strips. Wanna see if they resist fade or cracking any better than DIY jobs. And that's the SunRace version of the 7 speed 34T Mega freewheel. The other is a Sun Race 8 speed 32T freewheel that I previously tried with the original crank, but the chain rubbed the back tire. Might try to fit it again since the chain line changed with the 22/32T FSA crank it's got now. With the "4.8" Surly Knard back there I won't hold my breath. Do they make freewheel spacers I wonder? Anyway, I'm happy with a 2x7 anyway so no big deal. Oh yeah - yes, that's the new optional shotgun flashlight derailleur attachment Shimano is offering...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/D4zPzN]Image
desertguns

Postby JeanBrewer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:37 am

It's very useful! Many thanks for the description! Your pictures are very detailed!
JeanBrewer

Postby desertguns » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:32 pm

JeanBrewer wrote:It's very useful! Many thanks for the description! Your pictures are very detailed!

More spam. No, I wont be using your dumbassessaywriter web link either. Someone please take out the trash! :evil:
desertguns

Postby onetrustman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:36 am

Hi Guys.

I just wanted to share my own build of the Dolomite.
The only thing thats sucks is that the shop owner branded it anew with even cheaper decals than the original ones.
I will try to get the Mongoose decals and make it look original again.

Upgrades are

- Lutu 125 mm Air suspension fork with lock out
- Shimano hydraulic disc brakes BR-M315
- Formula Rear Brake adapter
- Sixpack Racing Vegas flat pedals
- Sixpack Racing seat clamp
- Jagwire cable holder
- BBB Hydro clamps
- KCNC Headset Spacer
- KCNC Headset
- Wake 780mm handlebar
- Megura cable holder
- Jagwire end caps
- Wake 35 mm stem
- 117mm Tmars mechanical dropper post
- Schwalbe Jumbo Jim tires and Schwalbe 13 J tubes
- SGD saddle
- Sensus light grips
- Prowheel cranks and bearings
- VxMx gear 36 teeth
- Sun Race 11 Speed 11-50 black
- Deckas chain guide
- XLC mudguards
- Sigma Sport speedometer
- I build the wheelset myself ( Kubis alloy rims 80 mm, specialized front hub and QR, O-Lite rear hub and Hope QR, Sapim Laser spokes and Sapim nipples )
Wheelset weight is 2552g

Whats left is the new rear derailleur, the trigger and the chain.
Should arrive on monday or thuesday.
I have a bit more deatils here if you are interested.
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/upgrad ... 60558.html
onetrustman

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:51 pm

What exactly is going on with the rear axle dropout? That makes the whole bike look like it's NOT a Dolomite.. Like many of the builds on this forum, there's nothing left but the frame, and even your frame looks modified.. Or maybe it's not a Dolomite at all.
Tomcat65

Postby onetrustman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:22 am

Tomcat65 wrote:What exactly is going on with the rear axle dropout? That makes the whole bike look like it's NOT a Dolomite.. Like many of the builds on this forum, there's nothing left but the frame, and even your frame looks modified.. Or maybe it's not a Dolomite at all.

Hello.
First, the frame is the bike.
Everything else are just parts that can be changed, but the bike itself is the frame.

The reason why I did this is that I always wanted to build up a whole bike ( inc. the wheels )
And I was interested in having a fat bike, but I didn't wanted to start with a freaking expensive frame that would have been more worth than my whole Dolo build.
In my country pretty much all of the fat bikes up to 500 bucks look really ugly and terrible and have in some cases even worse specs than the Dolomite.
When I saw the Dolo for Sale on a Ebay bike Shop I immediately bought it.

And what can I say, the frame looks great. I love the metallic blue color and the frame geometry is way better than I thought.
The old parts of the Dolo are not wasted.
My city mountain bike was already falling apart and so I put the Dolo handlebar, stem, grips, seat tube, sattle, clamps, pedals and the whole one by drivetrain on it.
That alone saved me 100 bucks.
And the old wheelset and the fork are already sold to this guy here for 90 bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TomNosi/vi ... shelf_id=0

Most of the parts for my build are really cheap, but suprisingly good chinese stuff.
The handlebar costs new only 10$ / Stem 7$ / Tmars dropper 90$/Crankset 60$/ chainring 8$/ and the fork is 150 $
You can have nice upgrades without spending a huge amount of money.
Look on AliExpress. They have great stuff there for a fair price.

And about the "is the frame original"
Well, I simply don't know. Perhaps Mongoose doesn't even make this bikes. Pacific cycles is the manufacturer for Mongoose.
So maybe they make different versions of the Dolo as requested by their costumers.

Well that's the story behind my build.
onetrustman

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Your build is Great!
But it's not a standard Mongoose Dolomite frame. Look at the difference:
Dolo copy.jpg
Dolo copy.jpg (165.49 KiB) Viewed 50 times

Dolo copy b.jpg
Dolo copy b.jpg (96.85 KiB) Viewed 50 times

I'm not knocking your build in any way, but the Mongoose Dolomite is a steel frame bike. Your frame looks like it could be aluminum..
Tomcat65

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes