Northrock XCOO

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Northrock XCOO

Postby zippyzap » Fri May 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Northrock XCOO $299.99 @Costco

I just saw this today at my local Costco for $300, and I would have bought it if I was driving my other vehicle (which is a hatchback). I may go back tomorrow to buy it.

Anyone have any info on it? I've been trying to do web research on these, but little information. Here's what I learned from looking in person and on the web.

Bike feels reasonably light. Frame is aluminum. Unknown forks. What drew my attention in-store was the price, aluminum frame and the 1x7 gearing. I don't need near 30 gears. My past few mountain bikes almost always lived in the middle chainring. This bike also looks really sharp in person, and seems to fit me okay. Stem is a bit short compared to my older $1000 cross country mountain bike. Shimano Altus rear derailleur seems decent level for the price. Initial thoughts are that I could live with this after a pedal swap and removing the kickstand. I like the way it looks.

Reviewer stated 36 pounds, which I guess is ballpark for a fat tire bike. My expensive mountain bike might be under 25 pounds, but has as high as Shimano XT parts. More concerning is one review stating 150mm crank arms. WTF? Well, if the platform is solid enough, that could be an upgrade along with the pedals, and maybe a cheap carbon seat post from eBay to shave a few grams.

There's a 3rd party comment on the company's Facebook page that stated this brand is made by Giant, and meant to be a cheaper line sold in big box stores (rather than bike shops).

I think I'll risk the $300, even though I hardly ride anymore. :P
zippyzap

Re: Northrock XCOO

Postby zippyzap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm

I of course bought the bike.

Shimano Altus derailleur
NorthrockXC002.jpg
NorthrockXC002.jpg (347.29 KiB) Viewed 593 times

152mm crank arms
NorthrockXC003.jpg
NorthrockXC003.jpg (349.36 KiB) Viewed 593 times
zippyzap

Postby dirtdobberoffroad » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:22 pm

they look pretty good I like the looks and the price is about maybe a little less than the cost of the Malus plus the parts I would swap out.
dirtdobberoffroad

Postby desertguns » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Replaceable RD hanger is a sweet feature. The Costco link doesn't work anymore - out of stock & no back order. How bout a pic of the whole bike?
desertguns

Postby dddd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 am

There are some phots at the link below which can be enlarged clearly:

http://bike24hrs.com/product/northrock- ... tain-bike/

I'm thinking I recognize the rims as the (internal 51mm) same as on my Mongoose Hondo (i.e. Terrex rims) that basically turn a 2.4" tire into a 2.7" tire.
On this bike the tires look to be about 3.5" at most. I can't quite see if the hubs are the same steel hubs as used by Mongoose.

Cool bike, and $300 seems like a decent price for it, though for any hilly riding it would need much more gearing range.
Like most bbb's, it will cost about as much as the bike did to put a decent-performing suspension fork on it.

I am always wary of any special bottom bracket width standard that fat-tire bikes may come with. It would be a bummer if the only spindle available for the bottom bracket's particular width was a fast-wearing OEM spindle, or if some very expensive bb/crankset parts were needed to upgrade the bottom bracket or to use a 2- or 3-ring crankset. That's one of the few things that makes the Hondo and Terrex worthy of consideration.
dddd

Postby desertguns » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks for the link, 4D. If I was in the OP's position I'd have no qualms at all about the bike, especially with the higher level of components (compared to avg bbb). As a basis for a build, yeah would need lots more info. It's not even listed on the Northrock website. Northrock impresses me as a company that buys lots of 500ea or something from alibaba vendors. One manual covers every style of bike too. Nothing wrong with that but build oriented people need more than generic sales hash. I really like this bike & hope Zip comes back with some measurements & info.
desertguns

Postby pmoney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:54 pm

I bought it. Not a bad project bike. Kept bottom bracket and replaced cranks with old pair I had that were longer l.. Have 1x10 Deore on it with 30t up front and 11-36t in rear. Hub has a freewheel which is annoying. Brakes are awful and replacing them with Shimano hydraulic tomorrow.. they stop fine, just a pain to adjust so cutting my losses on them. Tires steer but not as bad with wider handle bar. Put 720mm handle bar on. Debating drilling rims to save weight. Basically was looking at buying 500-600 frame and starting from scratch so a fun project to get a feel for bike as I rebuild and it’s inly 300 bucks.

Way I see it is the fat bike is for slower going conditions so doesn’t need to be super light tho it’s not bad. When it’s going fast time, I ride my 29er which is where my real money goes. This bike mostly gets trickle down parts.
pmoney

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Interesting.
I have timed myself in different trail and pavement situations,
and the fat bike is often faster:

1. Steep climbing, it's faster just for the fact of traction. But effort, OMG it takes effort.
2. Quick turns and switchbacks, until you have to dab a foot, traction wins again.
3. Loose and wet leaves are a toss-up, the 29'er cuts through when the base is soft mud, the fatbike has more traction on top, regardless of the base.. even where the 29'er just wants to lay down.
4. Wet rocks are fatbike territory again.
5. Sand is perfect for a fatbike win.
6. Ruts are so much easier to flatten out on a fatty.
7. kinda..I've not had the chance to ride snow, but again, I'm sure it'll be a landslide win.

Everything else, the 29'er wins, because light efficiency.
Tomcat65

Return to Fat Bikes