Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports Mods and Build

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports Mods and Build

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:16 am

Part 2.

Got one of these ordered, and a set of brifters:
Genetic16-HBGED48K-2.jpg
Genetic16-HBGED48K-2.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 222 times

An awful lot of other stuff to make it happen, Stay tuned! :geek:
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:14 pm

Gone further nuts again..
I put one of these on today:
DNP 8 speed 11-34 freewheel.jpg
DNP 8 speed 11-34 freewheel.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 207 times

dddd pointed out a while back that 7 speed and 8 speed cassette and freewheel spacing was a little different:
http://www.bigboxbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4314&p=47572&hilit=+cog+spacing#p47572
I had been running an 8 speed shifter on a 7 speed freewheel, and it was never exactly perfect shifting.
But now with 8 speed shifter and 8 speed freewheel, it's dead-on with every clicky.
The problem now is, I really want to change the cassette on my gravel bike from 7 to 8 speed, but it's an older 7 speed hub, and I don't know if I can get a wider hub body, but I will be finding out soon. Shifting a 7 speed cassette with an 8 speed shifter on both bikes has worked for me, but somewhere in the middle, it just isn't quite right. Out and riding, it tends to ghost shift and delay in the middle range gears. Sometimes clicking twice to get a shift down to second, then one click down to first, it takes 2 clicks to get back to second.. then it wants to jump to 3rd when I least expect it. Irritating, but I dealt with it.
So, Thanks dddd... You have me convinced that I need to spend even more $$ :P

Anyway, I've decided to go with Microshift 8 speed brifters on the new handlebar on the Malus, and this new freewheel has me pretty pumped about getting it all together and getting some rides in before I hit the beach with it in November.
Tomcat65

Postby dirtdobberoffroad » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm

alright where is the new pictures? Great write up on building one!
dirtdobberoffroad

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Ha!
I have everything except, the handlebar. I ordered it from a company I hadn't ordered from before. Apparently they're extremely slow. Will update as soon as I get it all together.

But as far as update goes, The 8 speed freewheel is awesome! And the MicroShift brifters are here. The have a very good feel to them, bigger than the Shimano shifters, but appropriate for the fatbike, and the replacement hoods are in the $6.00 range. Dying the bar tape tomorrow to match the seat. Will see how that goes too.
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 am

This one is becoming the build of the year, and it's still progressing!

I'm wondering how you ever found a QR rear axle that was long enough for the wheel and 8s freewheel(?).
Would a solid 10mm axle be available for this? I guess it would have to be well over an inch longer yet.

One thing that makes the heavy OEM tires good is that their thickness and stiffness allows lower pressure while providing more damping versus a supple tire at higher psi.
My Huffy had a bouncier feel to it after I changed from the Hondo's ChaoYang PLUS tires to the lighter Vigilante tires that needed about 50% more air pressure to prevent wallowing and pinch-flats, but of course the bike did also become lighter and faster-rolling. Traction up and down hills also improved, due mainly to the deeper tread.
I just changed the rear tire to a Maxxis Minion DH tire, and with lower pressure again I am back to a softer ride feel and with the very tall tread the traction is better than ever. I actually found a pair of these expensive 27.5x2.5" tires in new condition at my local Goodwill for just $5 each!
dddd

Postby desertguns » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Nice work TC. The details always help. I just bought a Mongoose Hitch myself. BTW - I think the Malus & Hitch share the same frame. It's not quite the same as the Dolomite. The Dolo's axle is bent & front & rear bearings & headset are shot. It's been a long 3+ years. I waffled for a while & considered what you've been doing with the Malus vs. just putting the wheels on the Dolomite & replacing the BB bearings (and transferring the rotors & mega freewheel). Ok, I'm still waffling as I review this thread again. Darn you for giving me the upgrade bug again. Hope I come to my senses.
desertguns

Postby jimmie65 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:29 am

This is looking good. Can't wait to see how it comes out.
Current bbb bikes - Mongoose Beast, Iron Horse Yakuza 5.1, and an unknown fat BMX.
jimmie65

Postby dirtdobberoffroad » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 pm

yep tomcat I think you have convinced me to go to Academy and pick one up.
dirtdobberoffroad

Postby desertguns » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Adding some real world specs in case anyone is interested.

The tires on the Malus are made by the same company, CHAOYANG, as many of the big familiar brands. CST, Panaracer, Kenda, Sunlight, many others. All a part of Zhongce Rubber Group Company Limited. While the tread pattern is identical to the Panaracer Fat B Nimble, the weight of this tire is 1586g. That's 3 1/2lb of rotating weight. I just measured the front wheel, Here are the numbers I got.

135mm front hub
190mm rear hub

Tire 1586g_____ 3lb 8oz
Tube 536g_____ 1lb 3oz
Wheel 2118g___ 4lb 11oz
Total 4240g_____9lb 6oz rotating weight in the fork, with the rotor. That's a 26x4.0 tire....

The tires on my Hitch are 1884 grams & 1798 grams. That with a digital fishing scale that measures about 2 grams lighter than our dig postal scale. That's a wide variance between our bike's tires. Tubes are about the same but my front wheel comes in at 9 lbs 13oz. So what gives here ya spoze? Are they hand picking light tires off the line for the Malus & giving Walmart Hitch the crappy leftovers? :o
desertguns

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:47 pm

The tire tread looks very different. I actually like the aggressive look of the stock tires on the Hitch, but I'm planning a switch to Kenda Juggernaut Pro's eventually. They're supposed to come in under 900g for the 26x4. I really want a 4.5 on the front, but it might be a tight fit. There isn't as much clearance between these new tapered fork blades as there was on the Dolomite's straight tube forks, and the back is pretty close to the stock tire. The Stock Malus tire measures 4.375 inches @ 12psi. So, I might get more detailed specs before I buy, if I can fit a 4.8 front and a 4.5 rear, I'm going to go as wide as I can. Every tire manufacturer estimates their tire sizes by what they think we'll buy.. Very little to do with real world measures and standards
:P
Tomcat65

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes