Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports Mods and Build

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Re: Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports Mods and Build

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks dddd!
The Anvil front derailleur adapter came today. I had to use a 31.8 to 34.9 derailleur clamp shim on the seatpost, I gotta say, it works perfectly :D
Mongoose Malus Parts collage 1.jpg
Mongoose Malus Parts collage 1.jpg (180.94 KiB) Viewed 336 times

I'm really having trouble with the thought of spending any more $$ on this bike, but I do want just a couple more detail pieces.. It's been a fun mini build, used some bargain finds and a few used and/or parts bin parts, but as long as I'm building for myself, I can wait for things like the front derailleur adapter that took a month to get here from South Korea. I have less than $200 in parts, A big part of the build parts came from my own parts bin, I'd say all new would be about $350.00 And with Academy Sports having this bike priced at $200.00, This could be a great lil fatty for less than $500 almost anybody who wants to get a fat start.

Grand total for my Malus, with parts: <$400.00

The overall weight started at 43lb. This evening, I weighed it every way I could, I came up 42lb 8oz. The crank and the steel handlebar were my big weight loss items. They allowed me to add so much stuff without any weight Gain. 42 1/2lb won't get me any clout with the elite crowds who ride 22lb fatties, but I popped this one off of a speed bump today and got plenty of air. It feels nice, It rolls with tremendous momentum for a bike. The 200mm brake upgrade was ENTIRELY worth it! Braking power is boosted by the additional leverage from the larger diameter of the brake disc. The trigger shifter doesn't interfere with my one finger braking like I thought it might. It's just big fun to ride now. More pictures to come. It was way after dark when I got it all adjusted and off the stand.
I have folks wanting to ride it,
I might have a hard time keeping this one to myself!
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 pm

So, The Shimano M171 crankset didn't work out, The big ring was bent, the smaller rings are fine. With this crank, the big ring could be removed, but since it's riveted together, I would have to drill a 104mm BCD to put a bash guard on it. I considered it, but then I caught a 175mm crankset, Shimano FC-M391 with 64mm and 104mm BCD for $31 and then found a matching FSA bashguard, $6.00, just like the clear acrylic unit on my Ascension. Then a 22t x 64mm chainring for $5.50... For the same $42.50, I could have had a complete 36-22 crankset.. oh well. I got what I really wanted, and since the crank arms are used, I didn't mind painting it to match the bike.
I finally got my XLC seatpost and as soon as I get the bash guard installed, I'll get a new weight and I'll probably see very little change up or down again lol..
As per usual, Pics to come after I get the rest of this installed.

My big thing here, is the parts that have come available to mount a front derailleur on a BBB fatbike. This had been a hindrance to some who wanted to be able to climb hills with their Dolomites and other 1x7 drivetrain fatty's. Until my new crankset deal came into the picture, the most expensive part was the derailleur hanger at $31.00. So you can spend as much as you want to spend, or raid parts bins and search Ebay and local deals and get by for less than $100 Which is more than I had spent, but now I'm about $10.00 over with the new crank and the goodies to go with it. I have it working now, but waiting for the 22t chainring and the bashguard.

Here is a sneak peek:
Fatbike Anvil mount SLX derailleur.jpg
Anvil front derailleur mount, SLX derailleur, fatbike
Fatbike Anvil mount SLX derailleur.jpg (109.99 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 pm

41lb. 8oz, I lost some weight in the crankset. I thought the aluminum crank arms on the M171 crankset were a big weight saver, but the chainrings being much bulkier must make a bigger difference than I expected. The Shimano FC-M391 crankset and the XLC seatpost made a full pound of instant drop. The old steel seatpost was 598g. with that bulky saddle clamp. The XLC 28.6 x 350mm seatpost with the integral saddle clamp was 248g.
A 350g. difference alone. Well worth the $17.00 if you want to get your seat a little further forward, or if you just want to lose up to 3/4lb. I've bought 3 of these now, and I keep swapping one back on and off of my Ascension because it weighs so much less than my T-Mars dropper seatpost. I recently bought a RockBros seatpost ($12.97 shipped from the land of Cheap) that looks a lot like the XLC's, just a bit different, for my son's Mongoose Deception. I need to get those weighed and the difference posted, but since he stopped riding, I haven't done much with his bike. I believe the drop in weight will be very similar, There are a lot of options out there, but I was always surprised with the heavier weight of the Kalloy brand seatposts.

Anyway, It's about time I started losing a lil weight on my fatty
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:09 pm

PICS! :D
Bone stock first pic
Side view comp 1.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 1
Side view comp 1.jpg (261.05 KiB) Viewed 289 times

Today
Side view comp 2.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 2
Side view comp 2.jpg (355.08 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:15 pm

Cockpit view
Cockpit1.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 3
Cockpit1.jpg (260.71 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Jagwire cables in silver carbon fiber
Front 1.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 4
Front 1.jpg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 288 times

You can see some of the pitting on the sandblasted handlebar. I polished it enough for me. lol
right grip 1.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 5
right grip 1.jpg (170.51 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:28 pm

The front derailleur is an SLX direct mount FD M-671 with the Anvil fatbike derailleur hanger. There's also a Shimano clamp shim to adapt my 31.8 seat tube to 34.9
SLX front D.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 6
SLX front D.jpg (219.73 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Ya, the derailleur is too high, but it works perfectly, 36-22 with the FSA bash guard The guard just covers the 2x, might not cover so well with a tall tooth narrow wide single chainring
SLX front D 2.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 7
SLX front D 2.jpg (127.31 KiB) Viewed 288 times

I love these 9 speed SLX RD M-662 rear derailleurs. They work flawlessly with 7, 8, and 9 speed set-ups. This is with a KMC Z72 chain, it's perfect for 7 speed. I do have some excess cable to deal with..
SLX rear D.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 8
SLX rear D.jpg (295.26 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm

I still love these mechanical brakes with the 203mm discs! The red is Testors model paint, transparent red. Looks like anodized lol..
Rear brake 1.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 9
Rear brake 1.jpg (187.91 KiB) Viewed 288 times

My head stack is a bit random..
The stack.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 10
The stack.jpg (131.61 KiB) Viewed 288 times

Loving the way this bike looks. Rides Great. But she's a heavy one!
Side view 4.jpg
Mongoose Malus build 11
Side view 4.jpg (373.42 KiB) Viewed 288 times

#MongooseMalus
Last edited by Tomcat65 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Look at this, Does the stock tire not look a LOT like the Panaracer Fat B Nimble?
Stock tire to Fat B Nimble.jpg
Stock tire to Fat B Nimble.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Tomcat65

Postby Gone Platinum » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Love what you're doing to the bike. I'd say it's been a great investment and the modifications have been affordable. Such a fun bike to upgrade and a great addition to your collection. :D
Gone Platinum

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Adding some real world specs in case anyone is interested.

The tires on the Malus are made by the same company, CHAOYANG, as many of the big familiar brands. CST, Panaracer, Kenda, Sunlight, many others. All a part of Zhongce Rubber Group Company Limited. While the tread pattern is identical to the Panaracer Fat B Nimble, the weight of this tire is 1586g. That's 3 1/2lb of rotating weight. I just measured the front wheel, Here are the numbers I got.

135mm front hub
190mm rear hub

Tire 1586g_____ 3lb 8oz
Tube 536g_____ 1lb 3oz
Wheel 2118g___ 4lb 11oz
Total 4240g_____9lb 6oz rotating weight in the fork, with the rotor. That's a 26x4.0 tire

Once this bike is rolling, It's not going to want to stop.
http://www.chaoyangtire.com/index.php/pro/pro-details/7/156?type=FAT&name=BIGDADDY
The W108199 tire is the stock Malus tire, It's the second heaviest tire available, they claim 1540g for this tire.

With these specs, It would seem just about anything would be an improvement, but I also found this:
https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/a-comprehensive-guide-to-fat-bike-tires/
And This:
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/fat-bike-reviews
Looking at the rolling resistance numbers, and considering the watts lost in rolling resistance, I have no idea whether a lighter tire would make a difference at the pedals. The Kenda Juggernaut Pro is the lightest of all tested at 853g, but had the highest rolling resistance of all the tires in the test. The Juggernaut Pro is followed closely by the Panaracer Fat B Nimble, at 1135g in the folding version, with relatively high rolling resistance numbers. 22 watts from worst to best is significant on a long trail in the hilly woods around here. Maybe a lighter tire in the front would be worth it, if I was pulling wheelies or manuals as much as possible, lol.. The rolling resistance would be zero for the front tire if it were in the air. But with a load of bags on a camping trip, or with a heavy back pack, I'd say rolling resistance would be more of a concern than weight.

Air pressure is also a huge factor in rolling resistance, but the less rolling resistance you start with, the less of a difference higher tire pressure makes. So, a tire that has high rolling resistance at 8psi can actually be within 7 watts of a much better tire when both are aired up to 20psi.

Much to consider if you want to actually Upgrade your fatbike tires. I'm actually starting to think these tires aren't bad :P
Tomcat65

PreviousNext

Return to Fat Bikes