Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports

Wide-tire bicycles with flotation are great in snow or on sand.
Forum rules
Be polite... stay on topic.

Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:39 pm

So this is on sale at Academy Sports:
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mongoose-mens-malus-26-in-7-speed-fat-tire-cruiser-bicycle#repChildCatid=4059684
10742718.jpg
Mongoose Malus 2017
10742718.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 85 times

Around $200.00, I bought it and I was on my way. With all I've seen about the Dolomite, and my own experience with the single speed Brutus, I was expecting the same with this..

But it's different

I studied the pic pretty hard, noticed the drilled rims, and I started looking closer. This bike has a few refinements that I really like.
On the scales here at home, 2 different scales tell the same story. 43lb without the kickstand.That's 5lb less than the single speed Brutus.
The tapered fork looks awesome, and could be lighter than the old straight stock fork.
The steel seat tube is knurled all the way down, and it's plenty long enough to accommodate my long legs. Once set, I don't see how it could go anywhere.
The shifter, brake levers and 700mm steel handlebar is all crap, but the stem is a short and strong 60mm. The 700mm handlebar is awesome compared to a lot of the single speed fatbikes.
The rear derailleur is a Shimano Tourney, not high end by any means, but not the flat unbranded version I've been seeing so much lately.
The disc brake calipers use the square Shimano style pads, and I believe an upgrade to a larger disc would improve braking substantially.

Though I know it'll never be a 28lb fatbike, I believe it's going to be all I need when I wanna get my Fat on. lol.. Brakes, bar and stem, seat and probably tires are about all I want to change on this bike. I have an idea of what I want to do with it. I can't wait to see how it comes together and what it looks like when done. Hopefully, if I get back to Daytona this year, I'll be taking this one with me.
Tomcat65

Re: Mongoose Malus 2017 Academy Sports

Postby Gravelo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm

I saw one today at Kmart. It has an internal routing for the shifter cable. Otherwise looks pretty much unchanged except as noted with the drilled rims. Great fun with this bike. I put a better seat and a VeloOrange Crazybar on mine and have had a blast with it.
Gravelo

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:56 pm

2017 Mongoose Malus1.jpg
I love the angle of that fork
2017 Mongoose Malus1.jpg (244.1 KiB) Viewed 56 times

2017 Mongoose Malus2.jpg
2017 Mongoose Malus2.jpg (346.5 KiB) Viewed 56 times

The weight is the worst part, the rest is hard to find fault. I have ordered new brake discs and adapters, and a lot of other stuff I think it needs, but overall, I can't complain much about the ride.

One more for giggles :
Old cat and fatbike1.jpg
LOL
Old cat and fatbike1.jpg (43.53 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Thu May 11, 2017 4:08 pm

That's pretty cool, might have to be my next purchase look-out on my radar.

I already have a set of lightweight/extraspensive tires for one of these bikes, they are swapped-out discards that I picked up for free in near-new condition. I would go for the bigger rotor and lighter tires and take it from there, maybe shifters, levers and chain, plus wider-range freewheel, ...and are those steel crankarms? I'm thinking that the bike is about the right size for my long-legged 5'9".
dddd

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:02 pm

dddd, I think we're probably close to the same size on a bike, but my 175-180lb frame must be a little different, I'm not in great shape lately.. At 5'9, from the pedal axle straight up the seat tube, to the top of the seat on my bikes, I measure 34 1/4" to 35". That gives me that just right bend in my knee at the bottom of my stroke, the pedal axles just behind the ball of my foot.
Old cat and fatbike2.jpg
Old cat and fatbike2.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 41 times

The bike looks almost small to me with with the red rims, but the tires are nearly as tall as my 2.4x29 on my Schwinn Ascension. Looking at that pic, it's easy to imagine a flip over those bars, but when I'm riding, it feels pretty natural.
Tomcat65

Return to Fat Bikes