oops! i did it again..

Those classic-looking bikes that everyone loves to admire in a beach setting!
Forum rules
Be polite!

oops! i did it again..

Postby lurker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:21 pm

bought another wally world bike, this time for lady lurker. it's a huffy regatta, 26" with the built-in luggage rack and pannier bags. as expected it came new and partially assembled in the box. assembly was easy, and it appears to be solid. best of all, it was marked down. i was prepared to pay $199, but when the clerk scanned it, it came up $159! maybe not a beach cruiser, but certainly a cruiser. 3-speed shimano hub with twist shifter.
i've been having so much fun with my denali, she decided she wants to be able to get out in the fresh air, and a little exercise. we looked at WW, kmart, and the LBS, which had 2 used bikes in the price range, but by the time we looked up everything the regatta looked like the better deal. sure, the other two were better bikes when new, but bikebluebook said they were overpriced for used, and she just wasn't as comfortable on them. i doubt we'll ever get her on a road bike, but at least she'll be out there.

i told her we were going to start a neighborhood biker gang, but we're having trouble deciding whether to call ourselves The Old Farts or The Geezers.
lurker

Re: oops! i did it again..

Postby juniorswv » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 am

I am one them "old farts " 69 soon to be 70..still ride my big box bikes..Schwinn and Huffy...Great for the price...Enjoy
juniorswv

Postby lurker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 am

i'm going to go way off topic here, because cheap bikes may be what brought us here, but it won't keep us here. we're probably more interesting than that.
the demographics of this forum interest me. i've done a quick scan thru the member list and there's quite a spread in terms of age. lots of members who don't post regularly but continue to log in and read. i wonder who these people are, and what they do when they're not here?
lurker

Postby jimmie65 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 am

lurker wrote: i wonder who these people are, and what they do when they're not here?

I ride or rebuild bikes.
Demographics - in my 50s, been riding for less than 10 years.
Current bbb bikes - Mongoose Beast, Iron Horse Yakuza 5.1. Other bikes - Marin Fairfax, Specialized Sequoia, and Torker Tristar. Other "other" bikes - Cyco-cycle, Razor DXT drifter. Current project - 1995 Specialized Hard Rock to gravel grinder.
jimmie65

Postby lurker » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:07 am

jimmie65 wrote:
lurker wrote: i wonder who these people are, and what they do when they're not here?

I ride or rebuild bikes.
Demographics - in my 50s, been riding for less than 10 years.

do you rebuild bikes for fun or profit? for yourself, family, neighborhood kids?
i'm 64, retired. rode a lot in the 70s and 80s, then not at all until recently. dr. told me i needed exercise after my aneurysm repair. made my living in software development, then retail auto parts. still very interested in history, especially early republic, ACW. interest in firearms technology is waning, current fascination is ultralight (FAR103) aircraft. we'll see where that leads. i have a little wood shop.
lurker

Postby jimmie65 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 pm

I build for fun, mainly for myself and family. But I resell enough to support my hobby.
Current bbb bikes - Mongoose Beast, Iron Horse Yakuza 5.1. Other bikes - Marin Fairfax, Specialized Sequoia, and Torker Tristar. Other "other" bikes - Cyco-cycle, Razor DXT drifter. Current project - 1995 Specialized Hard Rock to gravel grinder.
jimmie65

Postby lurker » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:48 pm

jimmie65 wrote:I build for fun, mainly for myself and family. But I resell enough to support my hobby.

no fair! my hobbies cost me money :mrgreen:
lurker

Return to Beach Cruisers