Switch to full style
News and photos of new bicycles, components and accessories.

Forum rules

Please limit discussions and put them instead in the appropriate forum instead with a link back to the product.
Post a reply

Performance Bikes Padded Biking Shorts

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 am

FINALLY broke down and bought a pair of padded biking shorts from Performance Bikes. The original price was like $29.99 but they were running a 20% off sale so I was able to get these shorts
for $24. Shipping was free because I had the shorts delivered to a Performance Bikes shop near my job and I just picked them up from there.

So I'm planning a ride on Silver Comet Trail tomorrow and I'll test these shorts to see how they feel. I'll report back after the ride.

Re: Performance Bikes Padded Biking Shorts

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 pm

I suspect you'll see quite a difference. They feel funny when you walk around in them... but riding is a whole lot better. :)

Craig

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Never had a pair, and used to make fun of people that did. Now that I'm older...

Can you wear them under something like cargo shorts comfortably? Why not just get a really comfortable bike seat? Or do the shorts have an advantage above that?

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:50 am

Well, a comfy seat is good but a seat that is too large limits thigh movement and causes chafing, but a pair of shorts with good pad are great..., padded undies (spandex shorts) I wear cargo shorts over them..I also use the gel shorts not the pad shorts...the make riding more comfy...lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4.01

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:55 am

Yeah. Bigger seat is not a good idea. The key is having the correct material against your skin. Make sure you are commando with your riding shorts. Wearing cargo shorts over them is fine.

I actually have regular looking riding shorts that have a liner and gel pad sewn into them. You wouldn't know they are riding shorts by looking at them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Renaldow wrote:Never had a pair, and used to make fun of people that did. Now that I'm older...

Can you wear them under something like cargo shorts comfortably? Why not just get a really comfortable bike seat? Or do the shorts have an advantage above that?

I wore my bike shorts under a pair of hiking shorts and that worked fine. I can't ride with one of those big ole "plush" saddles because...

#1 I ride on paved trails with my GT and
when I ride paved trails I'm not out there cruising. I'm basically riding like I'm on a road bike even though I'm riding a GT mountain bike with road tires.

#2 I damn sure can't have a big, plush seat on my 29er because on the trails I have to be able to move around on the saddle and even move my weight off and behind the saddle
for steep decents. No "big plush" saddle for me.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Contra wrote:Well, a comfy seat is good but a seat that is too large limits thigh movement and causes chafing, but a pair of shorts with good pad are great..., padded undies (spandex shorts) I wear cargo shorts over them..I also use the gel shorts not the pad shorts...the make riding more comfy...lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4.01

Yeah the shorts that I bought have the gel pad. Feels a lot better than riding without the shorts.

Re:

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:20 pm

BoomerBrian wrote:Yeah. Bigger seat is not a good idea. The key is having the correct material against your skin. Make sure you are commando with your riding shorts. Wearing cargo shorts over them is fine.

I actually have regular looking riding shorts that have a liner and gel pad sewn into them. You wouldn't know they are riding shorts by looking at them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

My next move will be a pair of mountain bike specific shorts with the gel padding. I wanted to get the Performance Bikes shorts just to see how they would feel and I
like them so far. When I'm off the bike I feel like I'm walking like Fred Sanford...................LOL

I'll keep the shorts that I have now and use them for paved trail riding and then get another pair of mountain bike shorts for singletrack.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:40 am

When i have play riding on the mountain so i have wear mountain bike pant with pads. Pads are very good comfortable for their safty and pretty good work. But sometime i have use just pant without pads.
Post a reply