How I lost 40 pounds...

Comments relative to health and nutrition as it applies to riding bicycles.
Forum rules
Be polit and try hard to stay on topic.

Re: How I lost 40 pounds...

Postby louisiana29er » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Ark wrote:Congrats yourself you've lost quite a lot! The most beneficial thing of all I have noticed is actually buying a scale, I didn't have one until recently but it is a HUGE motivator when I'm checking my weight everyday

Hopefully you are weighing in first thing in the morning when you are at your "true" (not full of water and the food you eat all day), too many people wait until 10 o'clock at night and then come into the gym complaining about how they "aren't losing any weight"
2011 Genesis 29er, debadged, soon to get upgraded components.....
louisiana29er

Postby steady eddie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Ark wrote:Congrats yourself you've lost quite a lot! The most beneficial thing of all I have noticed is actually buying a scale, I didn't have one until recently but it is a HUGE motivator when I'm checking my weight everyday

======
Ark--

We bought TWO scales. one was a digital scale, and according to my DW, it HAD to be a
Genuine WW-branded scale... :lol: ...WM had them..the OTHER scale we used to weigh the food portions, as during the learning curve, you need to "know" exactly how much a cup of food or a half cup really is. But it soon went right into the garbage recycle bin. I discovered
that measuring/weighing each and everything we ate became a major PITA..

Some diet decisions must be intelligently made. Just because there are TWO Twinkies in a package does NOT mean that you must eat both of them. YOU decide. You may decide to have only one, or, when carried out to the ideal decision, NONE.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:57 am

Weight Watchers type diets do not really "count calories", they use the "point plan"..

Depending on certain factors, you are allowed so many "points" per day. If you go to the store, and buy prepared food, like buying a TV dinner, if the mfg. has a tie-in with WW, then you will see on the label just how many points it contains. Pretty soon, you figure it out and you quit buying that stuff..just like with the weighing of all you eat, it becomes a drag. Expensive, too...
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

How I lost 40 pounds...

Postby Kojack » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 am

They trick you into counting calories by using points. It's all the same. Portion control.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
im looking for the "ICE CREAM SANDWICH" man...ha ha
Kojack

Postby steady eddie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 am

Fiber is really important to include in any diet plan. Most overweight folks do not get/eat nearly enough of it. It keeps you regular and scours out your intestines like a brush.
"Roughage" is what my Swedish Mom used to call it.

I get my fiber from whole grains, oatmeal and cracked wheat breads.

The easy way to see if your diet contains enough fiber, look at what you leave in the toilet.
If it floats, your diet contains enough fiber... :D
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

How I lost 40 pounds...

Postby Kojack » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:06 am

I guess I don't.

Will start eating more fiber

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
im looking for the "ICE CREAM SANDWICH" man...ha ha
Kojack

Re: How I lost 40 pounds...be a label reader...

Postby steady eddie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:04 am

Remember what WW said about the "deck of cards" size of a single adult food portion??

Well, they take that a bit farther. They suggest that you become a label reader. By Federal Law, each food product sold must have a label that tells you how much of the product equals
one adult food portion.

I do it (read labels) now as a matter of course. It becomes automatic, and it really opens your eyes at just how big of a hog you've become..:shock:..

For example: Ice cream. It says right on the label that an adult single portion equals 1/2 cup.
I love ice cream, and when my stomach was all stretched out, I could (and did) eat a whole quart at one sitting. Now that my stomach size is normal, that 1/2 cup becomes much more realistic.

The whole idea here is to reduce the total amount of daily calories that you eat. You do not want your bicycle to look like a two-wheeled hemorrhoid when you are on it, like this:

child seat.jpeg
child seat.jpeg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 1527 times

"If you ain't the lead dog, your view never changes.." Poor kid.. :roll: ..
(from the chive.com)
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Re: How I lost 40 pounds...be a label reader...

Postby EasyRider » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:14 pm

steady eddie wrote: I once dated a gypsy gal, she would not eat meat, she was sickly and pale. I finally gave up on her, as she was skinny and was like sleeping with a stack of wire coat hangers, all knees and elbows.... :mrgreen:

steady eddie wrote:The whole idea here is to reduce the total amount of daily calories that you eat. You do not want your bicycle to look like a two-wheeled hemorrhoid when you are on it, like this:

:lol:

Congrats on your weight loss steady eddie!
Formally WallyNiner
EasyRider

Postby 2wheels » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:13 am

Yes, congrats. The "Move more, eat less" diet works like a charm. Beats the hell out of all those South beached whale carbless.....whatever diets. ;-)

That hemorrhoid is a WM Roadmaster. Clearly a stout bike.

Seriously though....I wouldn't trust that seatpost QR or seatpost with such a load. If the QR gave out that kid would get hurt. Anyone who appears as unwieldy as this woman has no business with a kid onboard.
2wheels

Postby steady eddie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:30 am

Everyone--

Here is another deal: Don't get upset about any weight you might put on over the Winter.
I am just like an Old Bear in that respect. The extra weight will fall off just as soon as the weather permits more outside activity. Once you can get outside, mowing, weeding the flowerbeds, re-stacking the firewood, and etc.--your target weight will come back to you.

Here, locally, we are on track to have the wettest March EVER recorded. How far back do the records exist? Certainly, the records exist as far back as 1824, when Ft. Vancouver was first built. The Hudson's Bay Company kept excellent daily weather records.

So, with all of this rainfall, how is the Cycling doing?? Actually, Commuting by Bike is on the
up tick here. And, yesterday I had to go to the DMV to re-do my Driver's License. The office of the DMV is eight miles over and back. During the rain, I saw three middle aged gals out riding, which I thought was great.

But the really good news is: I passed the eye exam with flying colors!! No more
eyeglasses restriction on my license!! WTF??

Clean living (and diet) prevails.. :mrgreen: ..
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Nutrition