How I lost 40 pounds...

Comments relative to health and nutrition as it applies to riding bicycles.
Forum rules
Be polit and try hard to stay on topic.

How I lost 40 pounds...

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:49 am

I used to weigh 207 pounds, now I weigh right at 167...

207 minus 167 = 40 pounds.

How did this happen?? My wife joined Weight Watchers and since retirement I have taken on all the cooking and did not want to fix two sets of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.

By my being lazy, and by default, I too, became a Member of Weight Watchers.. :!:

I learned a lot about being a glutton, and about sizes of things. For example, make a fist and look at how big it is. That is what WW claims an ordinary stomach is. From being a huge eater, my own stomach was easily two or three times as big. How big is an "adult sized" portion of food?? WW says the portion is as big a deck of cards. A deck of Bicycle playing cards.. :?:

No real man is going to order a "Petite" sized steak in a restaurant. Hell, bring on the medium well 16 oz. steak!! With a baked potato as big as a hand grenade!! Now days, I order a "small" steak and let the waitress actually ask: The petite steak?? This leaves my manhood intact. Oh, and could I also have a small baker?? See how it all works??

Pretty soon, after about a month for me, the over-sized stomach begins to shrink. I was slam-assed hungry for that whole first month. I did make a mistake though. I staved off the hunger with Diet pop. Zero calories, but not good. I now drink water, Nature's own diet pop. The pounds began to fall off.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Re: How I lost 40 pounds...

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:47 am

Oddly enough, there was a report on ABC News last night about someone who did a major test on diet plans; something like 30,000 people. They discovered that Weight Watchers was not only the best diet plan, but it beat - by double - the weight loss of people under the direct supervision of a physician!!!

My wife and I will have to start this. Thanks for the tip. :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby louisiana29er » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:50 am

congrats on the weight loss man, diet is a huge factor in determining what type of results an individual will achieve
2011 Genesis 29er, debadged, soon to get upgraded components.....
louisiana29er

How I lost 40 pounds...

Postby Kojack » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 am

I have to start this again.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
im looking for the "ICE CREAM SANDWICH" man...ha ha
Kojack

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks for the kind words.. :)

I now save the Diet Lime Coke for thinner for my Canadian Mist!! Ordinary water is MUCH better for you, and it aids in flushing out your system.

Water weight was something that I stressed and fussed over. Not to worry, though. Because your body and kidneys will take care of the excess, you will pee it out or sweat it out. I also
hedge my bet and take vitamins. But not "ordinary" vitamins. I noticed that once the pounds came off, I was physically cold all the time. Could not get warm, even with exercise.

I finally found out about Iodine. One of the many, many beneficial things the Iodine does for you is that it regulates body heat production. The burning of calories and the creation of a negative calorie imbalance (which is what you want) does not happen without Iodine.
What is a big source of Iodine for the body?? Iodized Salt.

Bingo!!! We were (and have always been, and still are) on a Low Sodium (salt restricted) diet. The only salt that my DW allows in the house is Natural Sea salt, not Iodized.
Where else could I get Iodine?? I could do what DW's Chinookan Ancestors did, and eat a ton of seafood. The Chinook Indians stood naked against the rain, and were not cold.
Maybe I could "supplement" my intake of Iodine with a pill?? Then I found Walmart vitamin pills. They contain the minimum daily requirement for Iodine. I looked at dozens of pill bottle labels before I found this. Ordinary vitamins do not contain Iodine, I guess.

I have not had so much as a head cold or the flu, since I began with the Iodine boosted vitamin pills..Iodine IS your immune system..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:45 pm

When you are trying to cut back on your food intake, remembering that playing card deck
sized food portion, you simply cannot ingest enough food to get all the vitamins and minerals that your body needs daily. Enter the multi-vitamin and mineral supplement pill.
It is probably time to re-visit vitamins:

http://www.nutritionatoz.com/Vitamins.html

Because you are what you eat, and by design our WW diet plan is low fat, you will see from the link that there are two types of vitamins. Water soluble and fat soluble. The water dissolved ones are the ones where your body takes what it needs for health and nutrition, and you pee out the surplus. NO problem. But, the other types, must have fat taken along with them to be able to be used in your body. A low fat diet contains some fats and oils.
A zero fat diet does not. And I am convinced this is why you see so many thin folks that are, at the same time, so sickly looking. They are at once both anemic and vitamin deficient. I once dated a gypsy gal, she would not eat meat, she was sickly and pale. I finally gave up on her, as she was skinny and was like sleeping with a stack of wire coat hangers, all knees and elbows.... :mrgreen:

I fry all foods, prepared that way, in canola oil. We still eat bacon. We still eat a fried egg. Not every day, but we do partake.
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:40 am

Here is a link to the WM vitamins and minerals supplement that I take:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EQ-MATURE-MULTI/10325036

Only $3.98 for 100 tablets, but the site says that they are no longer available.. :?:

They are the same as Centrum Silver.........sorry about the bum steer, maybe they will get in more.
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby Ark » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:53 am

I agree a lot of times you cannot get the proper nutrition while dieting, however it all depends on your diet and what you eat as well. For breakfast I usually have a whole grain bowl of cereal (most cereals are fortified and packed with vitamins) or carnation instant breakfast's which I honestly like better due to having protein/more vitamins. Lunch always ends up with fruit and more whole grain like a snack bar which of course contains a lot of vitamin C :). Lastly for dinner I usually eat w/e for we don't focus on anything special BUT I do aim to have AT LEAST two vegetables with my meal irregardless what it is and almost ALWAYS include a source of a green vegetable like broccoli or green beans for the vitamin B's. Fish is always a great source of tons of vitamins and vital nutrients while containing lots of monounsaturated fats, these promote lots of great health benefits and actually help break down saturated fats within your body to help you lose weight especially within the stomach area, even reduce cholesterol levels . I do take supplements as well but eating right makes a difference, I have also lost 20pounds within the last month :).
Ark

Postby steady eddie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:50 am

Ark--

Thanks for the post and congrats on the lost twenty pounds!! "Weigh" to go... :D

When you eat right, and know how big an adult sized portion really is, the pounds fall off.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast, the "cooks in one minute" kind. I sprinkle un-refined cane (not beet) sugar
on top and have recently included ground cinnamon on it, too. It contains beneficial anti-oxidants.
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby Ark » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Congrats yourself you've lost quite a lot! The most beneficial thing of all I have noticed is actually buying a scale, I didn't have one until recently but it is a HUGE motivator when I'm checking my weight everyday
Ark

Next

Return to Health and Nutrition