Energy Supplements

Comments relative to health and nutrition as it applies to riding bicycles.
Forum rules
Be polit and try hard to stay on topic.

Energy Supplements

Postby squire366 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:41 pm

THANKS WDR!!!!!!!

There are a few nutritional supplements that I have used with some success and I would like to share them with the forum.

The firtst is NUUN Electrolyte Tablets. These tablets look like Alka Seltzer tablets and I think they come 12 to a pack. All you have to do is fill up your water bottle and drop 1 or 2 NUUN tablets in and let them disolve. NUUN tablets are a great electrolyte replacement and they don't taste half bad either. Another benefit is they are cheaper than using Gatorade or Powerade. A pack of NUUN tablets costs about $5.99 and you can make up to 12 water bottles of the stuff. Even at $1.00 per bottle Gatorade would cost $12 to make the same amount.

http://www.nuun.com/#/?exn=whatisnuun

The next product is Blok Shots made by Clif who makes organic Clif Bars. I FRIGGIN LOVE BLOK SHOTS!!!!!! They are small squares and they come in packs of 6 blocks. The best way to describe Blok Shots is "square Gummie Bears." All you do is eat 2 or 3 Blok Shots a few minutes before the ride and then 2 or 3 more about 30 minutes to an hour into the ride. Blok Shots immediately give you energy to spare and when I see energy I mean energy you can actually feel. Blok Shots come in a few different flavors and again the look and taste like square Gummie Bears.

The third product is another by Clif called Clif Shots Gel. I was using Clif Shots until I started using Blok Shots. The Clif Shot Gel packs don't seem to work as well for me but they taste great. The Strawberry and Rasberry taste like really sweet Strawberry and Rasberry jelly. The Chocolate and Moca flavored gels taste like a melted Hershey bar and coffee. Again the Clif Shots don't give me that "boost" like the Blok Shots do but my Wife uses them when she goes walking and says they work well for her.

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_bloks/
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Re: Energy Supplements

Postby FilX » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:13 am

This is coming from a runner...who is buying a bike...so take it for what it's worth! I use the Gu Energy gels whenever I run long. Espresso Love is great (and also has the most caffeine in it). They also have other flavors with less and with no caffeine. Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Outrage taste like you're having dessert in the middle of your run.

They give you a shot of sugar for instant energy and also complex carbs for more sustained glucose levels.

I take one about every 45 minutes, which is a pretty good interval. (Random fact - when Lance Armstrong ran the New York Marathon, he had 14 of them - like one every 12 minutes or so. That's friggin crazy! There's my bike tie in.)

Only caveat - make sure you have some water along with them - or your stomach will let you know you should have.
FilX

Postby RT4x4 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:06 pm

I know everybody responds different to supplements, so with that in mind this is what works good for me.

Morning Ride
1) 40-50 grams of protein
2) 200-400 mg of caffine supergel caps
3) 4 capsules of BCAA
4) start of the trail 2 bites of gatorade G-Series 01 prime

Afternoon Ride
1) NO-Xplode 2.0 2 scoops
2) 4 capsules of BCAA
3) G-Series 01 prime 2 bites

after every ride I again take protein and BCAA
RT4x4

Postby louisiana29er » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm not a huge fan of taking a nitric-oxide (NO explode, jack3d, nitro pump, etc) before a ride, seen a few guys show symptoms of irregular heart beat, chest pains, etc (younger guys too, 21-22 years old). If I'm planning a hard ride, I carb up the night before and get in a good bit of water, and the day of I have a good breakfast and maintain during the ride. I take in Glyco-Peak, basically Gatorade without all of the sugars and more actual electrolites, before, during and on the ride back home once I've cooled off. I strongly recommend Glyco-peak to anyone who rides, here is a link for everyone to check it out:

http://www.innerarmour.com/products_glycopeak.html
2011 Genesis 29er, debadged, soon to get upgraded components.....
louisiana29er

Postby bones72751 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I've never even used supplements. I just eat well before I go ride and take water with me. Though that may be because I've just never thought of it. I like biking from a hobby standpoint, but fitness wise I'd like to gain a little weight, which biking wont really help with. I'm 5'9" and about 155-160, kinda fluctuates. I'm in pretty good shape, not overly defined but solid. I'dlike to get up to a solid 175-180. I guess my beat bet is to load up on carbs and then either hit the trails for a few hours or the gym.
2010 Windsor Cliff 4500- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2554
2012 Nishiki Colorado- GF's bike
2007 GT aggressor- WIP
2005 KHS FXT Trail- WIP
Polaris Rush 29er- WIP

Visit our store- http://www.cafepress.com/bigboxbikes
bones72751

Postby RT4x4 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 am

[quote="louisiana29er"]I'm not a huge fan of taking a nitric-oxide (NO explode, jack3d, nitro pump, etc) before a ride, seen a few guys show symptoms of irregular heart beat, chest pains, etc (younger guys too, 21-22 years old).

louisiana29er, we both know the side effects are usually caused by improper dosage intake and individuals tolerance.

I'm not saying go out and buy a tub, I'm just saying this stuff helps after a 10 hour day at work :)
RT4x4

Postby louisiana29er » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:14 pm

RT4x4 wrote:
louisiana29er wrote:I'm not a huge fan of taking a nitric-oxide (NO explode, jack3d, nitro pump, etc) before a ride, seen a few guys show symptoms of irregular heart beat, chest pains, etc (younger guys too, 21-22 years old).

louisiana29er, we both know the side effects are usually caused by improper dosage intake and individuals tolerance.

I'm not saying go out and buy a tub, I'm just saying this stuff helps after a 10 hour day at work :)

I agree, although I'd recommend a cup of coffee and an apple rather than a pre-workout :)
2011 Genesis 29er, debadged, soon to get upgraded components.....
louisiana29er

Postby Houndog » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:46 am

Hahahaha I don't even think about shit like this...I'm doing good just drinking more water and not smoking these days...

But then again, I ride like an old man!!!
Houndog

Postby squire366 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Houndog wrote:Hahahaha I don't even think about shit like this...I'm doing good just drinking more water and not smoking these days...

But then again, I ride like an old man!!!

I had a 50 year old man kick my ass on the trails this past Saturday because I didn't have any supplements with me. All I had was water and ate a decent breakfast. Not getting a good night's sleep didn't help matters either..................LOL

I normally have with me, at a minimum, NUUN electrolyte replacement tablets and Blok Shots. That's about all I need usually. I'm going to give a concoction a try that I saw in Mountain Bike Action magazine. All it consists of is some yogurt and trail mix together in a bowl. The guys at MBA magazine love the stuff so I'll try that this week to see how it goes.

Oh........did I mention what those snobs over at MTBR had to say about.........................LOL. Just for you Houndog.................LOL
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby RT4x4 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Has anybody given Chia Seeds a try? Seems to be the pretty popular with squire366 friends on the other furom.....lol
RT4x4

Next

Return to Health and Nutrition