My health/weight loss plan..

Comments relative to health and nutrition as it applies to riding bicycles.
Forum rules
Be polit and try hard to stay on topic.

My health/weight loss plan..

Postby garybbentley » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 am

So, I consider myself to be a good size a little bulky, 6'3" 235 lbs.. Alot of this is muscle from my years as an underground miner. I would like to cut my body fat and the unfortunate beer gut though. So my plan for now is to cut all soda and ride somewhere between 30 and 60 miles per week. Not a lot but it is a start.

So far Ive ridden about 25 miles since sunday and have not had a soda either... we'll see the results after a few weeks and see if this works.
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Re: My health/weight loss plan..

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:08 am

Great start. There are a few smart phone apps that will help you use a bike to lose weight. Now that the weather here has (finally!!!) improved I'm going to do the same thing you're doing. A combination of street riding and trail riding. And water.

My wife has already decided to cut back meal portions a bit and no more second helpings.

We'll see how *that* works. :P

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby nysfinest318 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Best of luck on your quest to shed the gut! We're in about the same position, but I'm 6'2 about 245. I just joined up here for some pointers on getting my first bike. This seems like a great group of people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
nysfinest318

Postby garybbentley » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:38 am

depends on your location and style of riding but there are lots of options
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
garybbentley

Postby squire366 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:29 am

I think you'll get you greatest fat burning by riding long distance at a fairly constant pace. I'm not talking 40 or 50 miles per ride but if you can manage 10 or 15 miles per day that will work.

Drop the sodas and beer and drink more water. Eat smaller portions of food as well. Most men like to pile the food on the plate but if you just cut portions down a little and limit "second helpings" you'll notice your pants have a hard time staying up on your ass and it'll happen sooner than you think.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby FatGuyOnAGoose » Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 am

I know this is an old topic, but Try looking into a ketogenic Diet. Basically low or no carb, moderate protein, high fat. I know it sounds counter productive to eat a large amount of fat, to lose fat, but it works. The long and short of it, is that you train your body to use Fat as a fuel source instead of Carbs. As an overweight dude with diabetes, it has done wonders for weight loss and keeping blood sugar under control. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/ Lots of good info to be found there with a a supportive community.
FatGuyOnAGoose

Postby garybbentley » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:15 am

thanks a lot. Im always looking for new efforts. I've started a small workout program too
garybbentley

Postby garybbentley » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I've tightened up my schedule and diet lately. Trying to eat a lot of baked or grilled chicken and fish. Doing a lot of grilled with salads and some pasta. Pretty well only drinking water and for the occasional meal some iced tea. On weekends I splurge and I drink a few beers one night of the weekend and sometimes eat a burger. I really wasn't riding like I should though. Only getting around 15-20 miles a week with one ride per week. So today I started riding to work, it is a 17.56 mile ride through the rolling hills of southern indiana and on a fixie it's a decent little work out. I plan to do this along with my recreational riding. With the diet alone I'm seeing a loss in belly fat and feeling better. I'm still pushing 220 lbs at 6'3" so I hope to see more results in the next month or two with my increased riding. If I only would stop smoking now..
garybbentley

Postby BrownJones » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 pm

It is so easy to gain weight and extremely difficult to lose it. I have always been in shape but last year I got into accident and I was on bed for about 4 to five months. I have gained so much weight and extra fat as I was advices to eat fat so that I can recover fats. But watching me in out of shape was so horrible. So after taking my doctor’s advice I start riding. And it really helps me. As I have always loved fresh air and I cannot spend hours in the gym. So I chose riding bike for fat loss. But I was struck after losing some of it. Then my friend recommends USP labs oxyelite protein Supplement, and it really help in getting back in shape and help to shred all those extra fat. But I still ride bike to stay healthy.
BrownJones

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 am

Well, my score for getting back into shape since I posted above has to be "FAIL". The only bright side is that I weigh almost exactly now what I weighed at the beginning of summer. So at least I haven't gained anything.

The problem is that, well, stuff happens. There are always more things to do and so few of them include bicycling. It was a lot easier with our grown kids lived closer and liked to ride... and my wife has pretty much stopped riding too. And the little girl across the street who used to make me ride with her practically every day has moved away. :(

There is nothing quite like having a kid who wants to ride up to the playpark every day to keep you on a bike!!!

So now the temps are in the 20s and 30s in the morning with the highs no longer quite reaching 60. And the wife wants all but one of the bikes moved over to the shop for the winter.

I'll try to get in more riding though.

Hope the rest of you did better.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Return to Health and Nutrition