I have Celiac.... Ugggghhh.....

Comments relative to health and nutrition as it applies to riding bicycles.
Forum rules
Be polit and try hard to stay on topic.

Postby mark42 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:34 pm

I learned recently that I have Celiac disease. Back in the early 1900's it was called "The Wasting Disease". That is because you slowly loose weight until you finally die. Now the cause is known. A simple allergy to wheat gluten causes your digestive tract to not absorb any nutrients from the food you eat. Every thing you eat, just passes through.

I only post this as a "heads up" to people of Irish heritage or have a parent who has Celiac. It is almost always inherited. Irish people have a much higher rate than any other group.

What happens is you develop an allerty to gluten. The gluten causes the small intestine to just pass all food directly through. (Do not pass go, go directly to jail... LOL) It is not very pleasant and the toilet is your new best friend.

Anywho..... I no longer eat wheat. There are many gluten free bread, buns, etc at most stores. They just suck.

Just a heads up to anyone who has to run to the toilet every half hour...... you may have it.

Good news.... Stop eating gluten, and everything is back to 100% normal. Thank God!!!!
2016 Raleigh Tomahawk 6061 MTB. Mods: Carbon Fiber 29" fork, 203 & 160 mm rotors. BB5. Deore derailleurs. Kenda K935 700x50c. Kenda Kwest 26x1.95 (2.185) . VUELTA 52T/42T/3OT. K-Pedc Pedals. 31.8mm Ritchie bar. Gavin gel foam saddle.
mark42

Re: I have Celiac.... Ugggghhh.....

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 am

Gluten allergies are more-and-more common. I have several friends who have to maintain a gluten-free diet.

I've just gone through a month of fun including diverticulitis (take 10 days of anti-biotics and drink LOTS of water). Followed by an attack of what the doctor is calling "poly-arthritis" in which first my left hip joint and then my right knee joint were extramely painful to the point of needing crutches.

For a while no one knew what I had and that was kind of scary since I couldn't actually walk (let alone ride a bike). However the doc fed me a regimen of high-power anti-inflammatories and that did the trick... just not quickly.

Makes you realize that you need to pay attention.

Glad you're doing better. I seem to be on the mend as well; as long as the side effects from these meds don't get me. :P

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby mark42 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:10 am

Its kind of scary how people get strange diseases. But remember years ago there was no name for all these diseases we now have names for. People used to die and it was attributed to age, or dementia, or one of a dozen other generic terms they used for conditions they didn't understand.

Just be thankful you got the right treatment for your problem, and you are not living in the dark ages when they would have either cut off your leg, or stoned you because you were possessed by a demon. :D :shock: :D

Hope you are on the bike soon!
2016 Raleigh Tomahawk 6061 MTB. Mods: Carbon Fiber 29" fork, 203 & 160 mm rotors. BB5. Deore derailleurs. Kenda K935 700x50c. Kenda Kwest 26x1.95 (2.185) . VUELTA 52T/42T/3OT. K-Pedc Pedals. 31.8mm Ritchie bar. Gavin gel foam saddle.
mark42

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 pm

My friends daughter has this. It was years before they figured it out. She is fine now but it was some scary stuff before they knew what was making her ill.
BoomerBrian

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Actually, I may also be possessed by demons... but it's ok... I almost never listen to what the voices say. :P

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Castle81 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Mom has chronic divurticulitis. Not fun. Has to avoid the big "S's." Seeds, stems, skins, spices. Takes a lot of fun out of food, but the trade off is totally worth not being in the hospital.
Roadmaster Granite Peak - The experiment
Mongoose DXR 26" (steel) - Frankenzombike
Havoc FS 26" - Organ donor.
Castle81

Postby junkyarddog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 pm

:lol: @WDR........... I worked with a gal that was allergic to gluten...
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Return to Health and Nutrition