down 55lbs and counting

Comments relative to health and nutrition as it applies to riding bicycles.
Forum rules
Be polit and try hard to stay on topic.

down 55lbs and counting

Postby Bigdaddymj » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Hey all,

New member here, wanted to share my story as it pertains to weight and nutrition/excersice. I have always been a solid guy. I was 220 in High School, while playing football, and being extremely active. I dont think I get much lighter than that.

I gained the freshman 15 in college of course, and then hovered around 240-250 throught my early 20s. I met my wife 12 years ago, and I guess the good home cooked meals and no need to try to pick up chicks led me to gain quite a bit of weight. I had gotten over 300 a few times, and would do something like south beach or atkins to get back down to around 270 or so, but I would always end up straying from strict diets, and would put the weight back on and then some.

In 2007 our first child was born, and our 2nd in 2010. Basically I gave up all semblences of caring about my weight, and had gotten up over 320 by the time 2nd was born. However I didnt stop there, I steadily gained more weight until about 2.5 months ago, when I went to a Dr for a physical and I weighed 365. I was appalled, and had no idea I was that heavy, I thought maybe 320-330.

Luckily, despite my grotesque weight, I was relatively healthy. My blood pressure was 120/80, no signs of diabetes, my bad cholestoral was not high, though my good cholestoral could be a bit higher. I knew this was a miracle, given my weight and tendancy to eat whatever, whenever and how much I wanted, and I knew this was my chance to make a lifelong change. My dr really wanted me to lose weight, and decided I was healthy enough for them to prescribe me something to help get me started.

For the past 8 weeks I have been taking Phentermine appetite suppressant daily. There are a range of side effects that it can cause, but the only one i have had so far is dry mouth (helps drink more water!!) In addition to helping me control portion size with the medication, I made a choice to make some drastic changes to my eating habits. I have now gone 8 weeks without any of the following:

Beer
Red Meat
Cheese
Milk
Soda
Coffee

Other than that, I have just been eating smaller portions, and entering my meals and excersise in the myfitnesspal.com website, to help track my intake. Myfitnesspal suggested a 2000 calorie per day diet for a person my size trying to lose weight. However I seem to end most days in the 1600-1800 range.

I also have been riding my bike at least 30 min per day on the weekdays, vigoursly, over 15mph, and then more like 2-4 hours on the weekends.

I lost a ridiculous amount of weight the first month, about 40lbs in 4 weeks. I have then lost about 15 the second month, and am down 56lbs overall in the past 8 weeks, to 309. The Phentermine is usually only taken for 12 weeks at a time, as it starts to lose its effectiveness, so I have 1 more month of that.

My goal weight right now is 240, but who knows, I may get to that and want to go back to High School weight. Either way I feel great, and am fitting into clothes I couldnt wear for at least 2 years. I look forward to updating my progress more as I continue my descent into normalcy!!

Take care, good luck to all who are trying to lose weight.
Bigdaddymj

Re: down 55lbs and counting

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a lot older than you are (69) and just had a chat with a dietician who handed me a blood glucose testing kit and pointed out a lot of dietary changes I could make. I am "pre diabetes" which means that I need to lose some weight and watch what I eat.

The interesting thing about this is that I don't drink alcohol (ok, I had a beer last week... but that was my first in months), I don't eat candy or cake, and drink diet sodas (but probably too many of those). Clearly, however, something is going on since my blood glucose levels have been creeping up over the past couple of years. So they want me to check myself regularly and see what I'm doing wrong.

The kit is pretty cool though... the tester is computerized with a USB connection and does a lot of things (logging for one thing) on its own (without a computer).

At any rate, it's a wake-up call to any of us who are over weight (I'm 6'1" and 250lbs). Time to get active and get biking. The weather in the PNW this year has not been good for bicycling. I live in a desert but the weather doesn't know that. We get 8" of rain a year and I think we got all of that Tuesday. And it's still raining.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby sebastien » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:12 pm

WOW.. Great job, Man! All others who are shedding those pounds, keep it up!!
sebastien

Postby bustos82 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Nice job. Keep it up.
bustos82

Return to Health and Nutrition