2012 nishiki wasatch

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

2012 nishiki wasatch

Postby jnthn932 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Anyone ride this bike? I saw it at Dick's sporting goods this morning and thought it looked cool. It was priced at 499 bucks! I know the specs are probably low grade but I was just hoping to get some opinions from people that have one or have used the same parts it comes with.
jnthn932

Re: 2012 nishiki wasatch

Postby Rock N' Rolla » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Yes, I have. Same as 2011 model , only not white.I found this to be a good trail bike after swapping out the fork from 80mm to a 120mm fork(the frame is actually a 100-120mm design).That said, the swap was more to accomidate my aggressive riding style.I am 5'7 and 155lbs, so the stock shock was fine for me after tuning it.But if you're more than 165lbs I can see where others refer to it as cheap.BUT upgrading the shock spring to work with your weight( I believe this is a $25-50 cost).Which is cheaper than a new shock all together. It reminded me of my old Iron Horse Sachem.... only more bounce(pobably the shock).I myself didn't find the Innova tires bad at all, they are not Kenda Nevegals or Maxxis High Rollers , but handled well.Overall I'd say it is a good bike. On a trail you dont use ALL 24, 29 or 30 gears.So the 21 worked fine.I have't had a bad expirence with Weinnman Wheelsets yet.So thats not a bad strike either.
However, as a matter of personal preferance.... for $499 I would like more than 21 speeds for dirt roads and xc, and I do not have good history with bottom bracket used on this model.In my opinon, for myself at $499 I would lean toward either the Diamondback Overdrive V (orange) $449 , 2012 Overdrive (black)$549, Mongoose XR Pro 29er $379, or Dawes Roundhouse 2200 $449 (26er).At that price point you could get into a better equipped bike (refering to the Nishiki) hardtail/29er/or used bike. Try to ask the bike associate or manager of your local Dick's to try to locate a 2011 model.They are going for $399 at any of the 3 locations near me. At $399 its more appealing. Hope this helps. Any more Questions just ask.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby mdmtbikedad » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Hello. Not sure if you still need an opinion on this but here goes. I have a 2010 Nishiki Blazer which is the same as the Wasatch but blue and white with slight differences in the components. Mine is a 24 speed with SRAM drivetrain (X4 I believe). I bought it almost new off C/L from a guy who never rode it and was looking to dump it. I paid $250.00 for it. I just missed one on blowout at Dicks for $179.00 before I bought mine.I have a love hate relationship with mine. I have upgraded the bars,stem,cranks,bottom bracket,brake levers and chain. It rides much better now and lost about 2-3 pounds in the process. It's still 35 pounds though. I love that it is plush and really does a good job of soaking up most anything I have thrown at it ( med-rough XC riding). The weight does hurt it somewhat though. I havent had any major issues with it but somehow I always find myself riding my Mongoose Zero G3 which I have and have upgraded. I would agree with the other post that it is a decent bike depending on what you pay for it. Look for a 2011 model at Dicks now as they really blow out their old bikes before new ones come in IF you can be in the right place at the right time. Or, for the right deal, I can sell you Mine! :D
mdmtbikedad

Postby jnthn932 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Unfortunately, Dicks does not have any 2011 models. They are selling the 2012 model for 499. I live in south Louisiana so I always find it funny when people show up to the trails on a $2500 specialized bike to ride our non exisiting mountains lol. I was mainly concerned about the the components holding up under minor abuse from the trails we have here. It sounds like this bike will work out perfectly for what I need it for. Any ideas on minor, inexpensive upgrades? Is it possible to upgrade the rear shock?
jnthn932

Postby Rock N' Rolla » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:04 am

jnthn932 wrote:Unfortunately, Dicks does not have any 2011 models. They are selling the 2012 model for 499. I live in south Louisiana so I always find it funny when people show up to the trails on a $2500 specialized bike to ride our non exisiting mountains lol. I was mainly concerned about the the components holding up under minor abuse from the trails we have here. It sounds like this bike will work out perfectly for what I need it for. Any ideas on minor, inexpensive upgrades? Is it possible to upgrade the rear shock?

Upgrades??? define inexpensive? on a budget= after working on these bikes my recommendations for the long more comfortable hual are:

Fork, it has 80mm of travel its desigend for 100-120mm I found this for my brother.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product64 ... l-Fork.htm or

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product59 ... O-Fork.htm

Crankset(far far better than stock),

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product46 ... racket.htm or
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product/4 ... racket.htm

Tires, http://www.blueskycycling.com/product/6 ... l_Tire.htm

After these cant think of much. Yes you can upgrade the rear shock. i recommend checking ebay or Chainreaction Cycles for a clearance air shock. X-fusion, Manitou, and Rock Shox (be weary of some fox models as they have fakes out there).
I myself dig the flat black and blue color. the wheelset is good too. enjoy yer ride!
Rock N' Rolla

Postby desertguns » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:05 pm

I'd be very disappointed if I spent $500 on a new bike only to find out that I needed to spend another $200-$300 "upgrade" to relatively low-mid components. There is something wrong with that picture. IMHBBO (BigBox). It'd be way more fun to spend the $700-$800 building a new bike from scratch ;)
desertguns

Postby Rock N' Rolla » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:34 pm

desertguns wrote:I'd be very disappointed if I spent $500 on a new bike only to find out that I needed to spend another $200-$300 "upgrade" to relatively low-mid components. There is something wrong with that picture. IMHBBO (BigBox). It'd be way more fun to spend the $700-$800 building a new bike from scratch ;)

I agree, but to each his own... the frame is solid, as I posted in another thread at the $500 make I'd just expect it to come with more than a 7 speed cassette and 80mm fork for a trail bike that hasnt lockout or motion control... but its a a place to start? In the end if ya like it , yull ride it! I suppose that's all that matters. I led a nice BBB group ride this past Monday to a local singletrack, of the 8 of us ony 5 need wheel truings an none had any bent derailluer dropouts or hanger breakages.But all 8 of us had some pretty big grins! :D
Rock N' Rolla

Postby blammo585 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Rock N' Rolla wrote:Yes, I have. Same as 2011 model , only not white.I found this to be a good trail bike after swapping out the fork from 80mm to a 120mm fork(the frame is actually a 100-120mm design).That said, the swap was more to accomidate my aggressive riding style.I am 5'7 and 155lbs, so the stock shock was fine for me after tuning it.But if you're more than 165lbs I can see where others refer to it as cheap.BUT upgrading the shock spring to work with your weight( I believe this is a $25-50 cost).Which is cheaper than a new shock all together. It reminded me of my old Iron Horse Sachem.... only more bounce(pobably the shock).I myself didn't find the Innova tires bad at all, they are not Kenda Nevegals or Maxxis High Rollers , but handled well.Overall I'd say it is a good bike. On a trail you dont use ALL 24, 29 or 30 gears.So the 21 worked fine.I have't had a bad expirence with Weinnman Wheelsets yet.So thats not a bad strike either.
However, as a matter of personal preferance.... for $499 I would like more than 21 speeds for dirt roads and xc, and I do not have good history with bottom bracket used on this model.In my opinon, for myself at $499 I would lean toward either the Diamondback Overdrive V (orange) $449 , 2012 Overdrive (black)$549, Mongoose XR Pro 29er $379, or Dawes Roundhouse 2200 $449 (26er).At that price point you could get into a better equipped bike (refering to the Nishiki) hardtail/29er/or used bike. Try to ask the bike associate or manager of your local Dick's to try to locate a 2011 model.They are going for $399 at any of the 3 locations near me. At $399 its more appealing. Hope this helps. Any more Questions just ask.

I'm kind of interested in this bike. But I'm wondering how do you know that this bike is designed for a 100 to 120mm fork? Are you just making a guess or do you know for sure?
blammo585

Postby Rock N' Rolla » Fri May 18, 2012 4:43 am

Well... for starters, it leans farward with that 80mm fork stock on it. It also shares the same ( so very close) geometery as the Haro Shift and Airbourne Zeppeline= both come with 100/120mm forks. And Finally, on Nishiki's website (2009) before they dropped the Wasach it came stock with a 100mm fork on the base model and 120mm fork on the trail model. and I've riden 3 models now two with a 120mm fork and 1 with 100. The 100 it a good jack of all trades but the 120 performs the best on single track.I dont know if the Wasatch is a real "Dicks exclusive"or they are just running out the last of the inventory of the Wasatch from 2010/11 models.
For example the orange Diamondback Overdrive V they carry for $449 is actually leftover Overdrive Pro frames from2011. Now that those frames are almost gone the Newer shipment of Overdrive V models are using the current 2012 Overdrive Frame but... is stripped down to a 100mm fork .... that actually only has 80mm of real travel.For $499 you could do worse. But for a solid trail frame with upgrade capabilities its a good ride.The my Dicks has a white model still for $349. If I did nt endup liking the 29er so much I'd be incline to make it my next project.
Also, I am reluctent to mention this ....becouse I un-intensionally come off as a snob to other BBB folks ( not my intension at all) and then I have to wrestle with the LBS folks on that Stigma that comes with working at a Big Box :roll: , that REI peeps get a free pass on( not fair :evil: ),but .... back to my point,to my Knowledge, I am ONLY Park Tools Certified ( same training as LBS stores) mechanic working in the Bike dept at Dicks--at any location.All others are Store trained as "Techs" that quality is VERY hit or miss.
I wouldnt recommend something unless I had researched it , try'd it out myself or had some sort of expirence with it, either Positve or negetive.
Ultimately, the decision and joy is yours. I am just here to help, give my opinion,and expand our two wheeled empire! Hope this helps
Rock N' Rolla

Postby mcmonster80 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:47 pm

I just picked up this frame for nothing but found a crack in the swingarm. Does anybody know where I can find a replacement swingarm, a manufacturer to get a hold of or anything
mcmonster80

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes