26" Alternative to the XR Pro?

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

26" Alternative to the XR Pro?

Postby Chadden » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi all,

I want to put together a duel suspension build, starting with a big box bike and upgrading as I get more money. I'm thinking 26" because parts seem to be cheaper and/or readily available (I already have several suspension forks lying around and some decent Mavic rims, for example). Any big box bikes that would be a good starting point, specifically where the frame isn't garbage/or heavy.

Thanks
Chadden

Re: 26" Alternative to the XR Pro?

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:54 pm

It's a BBB, it's going to be heavy, but a popular 26" is the Mongoose Blackcomb
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Blackcomb-Mountain-Bike-Black/55376961

At $270+ it's expensive for a 26" BBB, but it's the best platform for a build in that size.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Agreed, this bike will do everything it looks like it will do and more. Worth every penny and cheaper than it was when introduced.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Schwinn produced an aluminum 26", single-pivot dual-suspension bbb called the S-20, not to be confused with their fancy carbon bikes given the same name.

I really prefer the simplicity of it's single sealed-bearing(!) main pivot, along with the mid-to-high location of the pivot, which counteracts squat as the rider stands and pedals harder.
With it's gusseted head tube, this could really make for a solid build, and without too much weight.

Here's a picture of the one I'm talking about, I was given one of these frames I'm going to build one day soon.

dddd

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes