Return of the Blackcomb.

This is the standard size mountain bike (MTB)
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Return of the Blackcomb.

Postby Purple Haze » Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 am

1cac41f2-4646-43c7-993b-4dacc9d9c02e_1.75c978ba28e04ceba3d23fb24d6b5bee.jpg
1cac41f2-4646-43c7-993b-4dacc9d9c02e_1.75c978ba28e04ceba3d23fb24d6b5bee.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 215 times
This Walmart special has been resurrected several times and the price keeps going down.Its a winner to me because I own one,but it predates the XR PRO.On sale now at Walmart and they said 26ers are dead.
Purple Haze

Re: Return of the Blackcomb.

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:51 am

$276.49 USD in my area, available for store pick-up with complimentary assembly offered at some WalMarts:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Blackcomb-Mountain-Bike-Black/55376961
Looks like an Altus rear derailleur, and those Shimano EF brake lever/trigger shifter combos.
In the Questions and Answers, Mongoose Customer Support claims it's a 17.5" frame size.. Medium adult
Front and rear disc brakes
double wall rims
I don't know what a "Powerful Suspension Fork" means, but the description says it's got one
Looks like a flat bar with a 31.8 clamping area
It also looks like it has a steel rear triangle with no derailleur hanger

I still believe this is THE 26" bike to have from WalMart
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 pm

I figure that 26ers will never be dead in the bbb world, since wheel sizes are still generally proportional to the frame sizes offered at the box stores.

The bike has impressive features for it's price.

There's a Zoom Element fork with one-piece allow lowers to allow use of disc brakes in tougher, technical terrain.

It has an 8s cassette freehub and what look like modern, wide-profiled rims also branded Element. EZ-Fire shifters with Shimano derailers.

I can't see the swingarm main pivot at all, so can't tell how it is positioned or if it has a unified rear triangle and if the pivot is robust.
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:18 am

This bike needs suspension and gearset changes right off the bat to be a competent heavy duty mountain bike.2x11 looks like it was made just for this bike because 3x8 wont cut it in the mountains.I spend more time trying to get up to speed than is normal with modern day bikes and it has nothing to do with wheel size.Other than that its the real deal.This bike is very aggressive and stable at speed on any downhill section and I have thoroughly tested this bike to the limits.This bike falls into a category of bikes that are almost all mountain like but don't have the suspension to match.If they rereleased this bike as a 27.5 with similar proportions then I would buy another one.Its worth the price.
Purple Haze

Postby Irishmongooserider » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:55 pm

I absolutely was thrilled when I saw one of these. I've built three Blackcombs so far and now have got to make it four!

This time around (maybe waiting until late winter, or next spring), I'm going to go truly all out and redo the rear suspension with custom rocker arms I believe. A new unified linkage instead of the two separate plates would make for a much more durable and flex free rear end, and would also allow for some re-engineering of the suspension's travel and progression. I always felt that the Blackcomb needed a more linear progression, and never went full bore into a new rear end. Might be the time for that once I have the funding to do so.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Return to 26er Mountain Bikes