Mongoose Hatchet

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Mongoose Hatchet

Postby captdee » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:15 pm

I was interested in the Hatchet but I thought the rear triangle might be steel so I carried a magnet to check and sure enough it is steel. It a shame I really liked the bike, but I dont want the added weight of the steel. Guess I'll look at the XR-PRO.
captdee

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:09 am

I'd go for the XR-Pro over the Hatchet any day. Better frame, better components, just an all around better bike. Not knocking the Hatchet, but the two bikes arent even close really, with the Hatchet needing many upgrades that the Xr has already, such as the Sram transmission.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby superbug » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Got the rear rim laced and trued on the Quando hub. Total cost was $32 for the Sun rim and $30 for the DT Swiss spokes and $19 for the Mega range freewheel. Still waiting on a Shimano hub to lace the front rim and some Ritchey rim tape so I can mount the tires.

100_3193a.JPG
Quando Hub laced to Sun rim
100_3193a.JPG (349.57 KiB) Viewed 629 times

I also got the Modus Hub laced into the original Hatchet rim with Wheel Smith spokes and put back on my Deception. It also has a Mega range freewheel that I picked up for $14.

100_3197a.JPG
Modus hub laced to the Hatchet rim
100_3197a.JPG (460.15 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Last edited by superbug on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superbug

Postby desertguns » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Looks great, SB. What rim width did you go with & where did you get the 7 speed Mega? I'd like to get one for my Genesis as it's geared higher than the Deception.
desertguns

Postby superbug » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:34 pm

The Sun rims are 27mm and the original no name Hatchet rims are 24mm. I ordered the Shimano Mega range from Harris Cycles but I got the other one from my LBS. Cant remember the brand but it was a name brand and was cheaper than the mail order Freewheel from Harris.
superbug

Postby superbug » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi guys, been awhile since I posted last and I figured it was time for an update. I got the front hub and finished lacing the front wheel, installed the new front derailer along with the clipless pedals and all new Jagwire cables for both the shifters and brakes. At the end of the month I'll be ordering the new rear shock but I will also be in Phoenix for the month for MLB spring training so won't be able to update till I get back.

100_3261a.JPG
WallGoose Hatchet
100_3261a.JPG (448.19 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Shopping list so far.

Shimano Crankset with BB $90
Shimano Mega range freewheel $20
Avid BB7 disk brake $51
Avid FR5 brake levers $11
Ritchey Comp handle bar $30
FSA stem 90mm x 31.8 $26
Two Sun Rhyno Lite rims $64
DT Swiss and Wheelsmith spokes and nipples $83.00
2 - Q-lite 29'r presta tubes $17.00
Shimano LX M580 front derailer $14.00
Shimano Deore M525 front hub $27.50
Jagwire shift and brake wire kits. $45.00
Shimano PD M324 pedals $46.00
FSA carbon headset spacer $6.00
Sram MRX Comp shifters front and rear $17.50
Ritchey rim tape $3.50

Total so far $ 551.50
Now before the "you could of bought a real bike for that much" starts .....I have the exact components I want..... on the frame I want....and I get the fun of putting it together plus riding what I want....not what the folks at Giant or Trek thought I might like. Case in point.... I still have my old Sears Pinnacle Free Spirt 27" 12 speed that I just changed out the old steel rims for Aluminum ones on. Have had that good old bike for 30 plus years and gobs of miles and would'nt have any other. Now that is the ultimate BBB. Hope this new WallGoose lasts just as long!!

I still have the rear shock and front fork to go then I'll be done. Can't wait for summer to go riding!
superbug

Postby squire366 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:18 am

You won't get the "you could have bought a REAL bike for that much" response here. Remember that is one of the main reasons WDR started this forum in the first place.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Postby desertguns » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Gosh. SB, for that much money you could have bought a real bike! :P :P

In fact, you can't. I'm in a similar boat & will probably go back to a suspension fork - more money. But component for component, most new bikes with these kinds of upgrades are $1,200 & up. And there's just nothing like the satisfaction, and in my case the learning experience, of doing it all yourself. Saying, "that's my bike" has a whole different meaning than folks the ride their uberbike out of the LBS. And have to take it back for service as well :roll:

Are you taking the bike to Phx? Shoot me a PM when you get down here. We'll see how you do in sand, cactus & lava beds ;) I end up at quite a few pre season games & practices, on the other side of the fence of course. :D
desertguns

Postby superbug » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:48 pm

I just put the "you could have bought a real bike" in for fun. That's why I love this site. I would never even try to share at that other place. :lol: I won't be bringing it to Spring Training since my TV truck moves around almost every day and it is my tranportation when I'm down there. I'll be taking my Sears Free Spirit that I put the new rims on like I do every year to get around on. I'm on the other side of the fence for spring training games too....out back and behind the fence. I can get on the field before the game or if there is a problem during the game with a camera.

On a good note just got a new Rockshox Sid dual air rear shock for $60 on ebay. It's an older model someone had lying around and never used so I'll play with it and see how it works. It doesn't have a lockout which is the only feature I might want in the future but who knows. Half the features they have now probably aren't needed or missed by folks like me. Looking at a Reba RL that needs repaired for my next buy. Later.
superbug

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:18 am

Once you upgrade your fork and shock, you'll have a nice bike there. Probably bring the weight way down as well. Look forward to hearing more.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers