XR Pro? Warrior 3.2? Best budget 29er duel suspension build?

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

XR Pro? Warrior 3.2? Best budget 29er duel suspension build?

Postby Chadden » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a sub $400 duel suspension 29er to upgrade as I get more money, as I can't sink $2,000 into a bike. So far I've found the XR Pro and the Ironhorse Warrior 3.2. The XR-Pro is $30 cheaper and seems to have better parts up front, but I've heard issues with the brass bushings in the XR Pro? I don't know though, I'm not an expert.
Attachments
prod_2310573412.jpg
prod_2310573412.jpg (131.75 KiB) Viewed 301 times
a7e27abf-7a38-4fdb-9492-1eef94d13606_1.344ff1008d0bcaad1c2e805772ea9a3c.jpg
a7e27abf-7a38-4fdb-9492-1eef94d13606_1.344ff1008d0bcaad1c2e805772ea9a3c.jpg (303.66 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Chadden

Re: XR Pro? Warrior 3.2? Best budget 29er duel suspension bu

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Simply put, the bushings, if there are any in the Iron Horse, won't be any better than the XR-Pro.
The XR-Pro is cheaper? XR-Pro wins again!
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Sad that this model got a fork downgrade this year, the fork used to have 1-piece lowers suitable for the disc brake caliper.

So the win goes to the XR Pro as if by default...
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 pm

The XR PRO is a superior frame and that's the point here more than anything else. Everything else can be replaced but the horst suspension cannot be changed. Almost every bike company charges more for this design because it works better period. The package can always be upgraded but the design cant. The XR PRO is a superior design period. ANY company that utilizes a different design is disadvantaged from the get go. That's why most frames with it fetch higher prices. The design works better in the biking world at the speeds we travel.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 pm

The "Horst-Link" frame design isn't utilized on either of these bikes.

These bikes both use a simple swingarm with disc brake caliper attached, and with a simple linkage above it to actuate the shock.

The Horst link design pivots the lower end of the chainstays [i]below[i] the rear axle, so that the brake caliper can feed it's torque into the seatstays instead of into the swingarm.
Feeding the braking torque directly into the swingarm (as on these bikes) causes what is known as "brake jack", with the braking force trying to compress the suspension. The result is unwanted skidding and with the tire tending to chatter against the ground as braking torque and traction are each in same-frequency, oscillating cycles that are nearly (but not quite) in phase with one another.

Brake jack becomes an issue as the ground becomes bumpier, when braking application is harder and/or more abrupt, at higher speeds, and when the rear suspension damper is functioning poorly.

The patent for Horst Link rear suspension expired some years ago, so as with the chainstays being longer than they could and should be, the bbb makers are simply not applying performance features (that they are fully aware of) to their rear suspension designs for their own reasons. I believe that they are perhaps trying to keep costs as low as is possible while assuming that the vast majority of customers aren't going to notice the difference. The bb store customers who would ever notice such things are mostly more serious riders looking for better bikes than these, and who would likely tend to get a disappointingly short service life from both the frame and components.

A racer using a Horst-Link suspension might be able to go a little bit faster, but I've hardly ever noticed any difference in this regard.
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:34 am

Horst link four bar.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 am

dddd, modded XR PRO vs Trek ex5 and I would bet money the XR PRO stomps it in the ground. I am not joking either because I just dont believe a word this industry feeds the public. From the beginning of mountain biking this has been a get rich quick scheme beyond any doubt in my mind. I still have yet to see anyone struggling to turn handlebars or wheels falling off because they didn't have through axle. Rake is super skeptical because you need pressure on the front end and this isn't motorcycling. Believe what you want but LBS companies are price gouging and now colluding with Shimano and Sram. These business practices were illegal for decades after the depression and now people think its normal.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:36 am

As usual, the thread gets hijacked away from the stated topic(?).
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 am

Again, the linkage is superior. The top of the line bikes as example of suspension linkage dddd and the similarity of performance. You will pay for a bike similar and that's the industry standard of excellence to better explain myself, because the linkage makes a world of difference. Its the same darn thing dddd and its been applied to bbbs. The XR PRO is a thoroughly thought out bike that works so good mainly because of the linkage.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 am

Lol, this is not a Horst/FSR. The pivot is in the wrong place as dddd stated. It's not that hard to grasp. It's not saying that it's bad. All of the suspension designs have pros and cons.

OP search this site for "bushings". There's plenty of posts about the XR-pro bushings. I think most of the posters are now inactive.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Next

Return to 29ers