Vilano Blackjack 3.0... it's finally here.

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Vilano Blackjack 3.0... it's finally here.

Postby Budreaux » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 am

Got home yesterday and saw this on my doorstep.

I'll do a complete review on it over the next few days. Today, I'm dropping it off at the LBS for a complete tuning. I had to assemble it last night. :D

Also, I'll need to set up an image hosting account in order to size my pics best for the forum. Sorry for the HUGE pics.
Last edited by Budreaux on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Budreaux

Re: Vilano Blackjack 3.0... it's finally here.

Postby Budreaux » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:54 am

I put it on the scales this morning at work. Stock weight is 35lbs. The kickstand can and will go and the pedals are pretty heavy. I'm going to ride her for a while and enjoy it, but I will start a list of all the parts along with their weights and see where I can drop the weight with replacement parts. I'm not doing any downhill, extreme riding, so it's not a huge deal right now, but I can't help but try and see how light I can get it. She feels lighter than 30lbs and there's a big difference in the way she feels compared to my Genesis RCT 27.5.
Budreaux

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:18 am

That is a super high quality bike for under 600 bucks without a doubt.Looks like they even gave you a lightweight disc brake setup.Man,that bike is sick and much more than I imagined it would be,Keep it as is for now because you just got a deal of a lifetime.XC bike all the way and you can change the fork and tires later to make it lighter but my god that bike is sharp.Get the resize app on windows store for free and send more pictures.They pretty much gave you a XC racer bike that only needs a few mods to actually race.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:45 am

19944365_10209858603168052_8919175828893706307_o.jpg
19944365_10209858603168052_8919175828893706307_o.jpg (101.86 KiB) Viewed 602 times
resized it for you if you don't mind.This is the new king of hardtail BBB packages so far that I have seen or am aware of.
Purple Haze

Postby Budreaux » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 am

Purple Haze wrote:Get the resize app on windows store for free and send more pictures.They pretty much gave you a XC racer bike that only needs a few mods to actually race.

I've took pics of each component as I was assembling. I have lots of pics. I just need time to resize and organize for a good presentation of the bike. Like the Zoom handlebar stem... very lightweight but there is a warning tag underneath that states not to be used for downhill racing or extreme riding. I know most of what I'll use the bike for right now isnt considered extreme at all, but I at least wanna know where the weak areas are at so I can look for upgrades there first.
Budreaux

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:01 am

Watch a UCI cross country race to better get a idea of what the bikes intentions are.That sticker is not signifying the stem as a weak point because that is not the bikes intended purpose.The IRON HORSE is pretty much in the same category also and should be modded as such.Pull up a LBS cross country, trail bike and get a better idea of what your supposed to use it for.This bike is for the long legged ultra skinny dude that does 20 plus miles on the trail going uphill and down on fire roads and single track.DO NOT FLAT JUMP THIS BIKE, its not meant for that.
Purple Haze

Postby Budreaux » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 am

Well, that works out well then, because thats the type of riding I intend to be doing, along with some road riding with the GF. The bike seems perfect for my purposes. Feels great too, though I'm only 5'9".
Budreaux

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:37 pm

You may not realize it now, but for its intended purpose you bike is a highly sought after package that as I said before can be turned into a almost race quality ultra fast,mtb group riding monster.The attributes your bike include light weight,super fast trail and road with exceptional handling for light single track and trail.What more do you want out of a bike unless your a modern day stunt man.If you join a mtb club here in Europe then what you have is the preferred bike to ride.There are many bikes that are similar but few in BBBs for that price.5"9 is big enough because that's about the same size as the world champion XC racer from here in Switzerland.
Purple Haze

Postby craigo198 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Purple Haze wrote:DO NOT FLAT JUMP THIS BIKE, its not meant for that.
Is there a particular height you were thinking of when saying that? Im sure 1-2' jumps would not hurt right? or maybe a small set of stairs like 2'-3' Im really thinking of buying this bike but am not sure how well frame would fit a 6'3" rider.
craigo198

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Absolutely,There is a height that is not recommended and even three foot flat jumps on picnic tables present serious problems for this bike and many others.Mainly because there are limitations to any xc trail bike such as wheels to start with.You can buy AM wheels for it but if you have ever seen the difference between XC and AM downhill wheels than you can immediately see the added construction and material added.These bikes that are available are distinctly trail XC bikes and can be built stronger but its the wrong frame geometry for that.You can easily do gap jumps that are reasonable but your landings are softer than a serious flat jump.The bike is made for being light weight and able to be fast on a trail and that's the frame geometry that dictates what it is.AM and real downhill bikes that can take flat drops all day long are some of the most expensive highly specialized bikes in the world.BUY IT because this frame has the right stuff for a hardtail and the package is solid.Totally recommend this bike to everyone because it can be built into a serious XC trail bike that can be superlight for a 29 XC trail bike.
Purple Haze

Next

Return to 29ers