Iron Horse Sinister 6.2 - upgrade recommendations?

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Iron Horse Sinister 6.2 - upgrade recommendations?

Postby blammo585 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:36 pm

trmn8r wrote:New member here, just purchased a sinister 6.2 last night. Didn't get a manual with it is what got me online looking around. Glad I did, I had no idea so much could be upgraded to much better parts on a BBB. I began looking around because on my old MB I could raise and lower the bars by loosening the screw that goes down through the stem, I don't 'think' it works the same way on this bike, not sure. I'd like to raise it a bit as I'm just starting to ride again, and after a back surgery 10 years or so ago, it just feels like it would feel better if I was a bit more upright. I can move the seat I put on last night forward maybe two inches, that will help a lot I think, but just trying to find out if the bars were adjustable "up".

Anyway, really glad to find out I can upgrade just about everything but the frame, when I want to if I am able to make myself stick with this and keep riding. I started running about a month ago, every other day using a program on my cell called C25K (couch to 5K) and was looking for something a little less impact to do on my off days of running.
(took my first ride a few minutes ago, only 3 miles, lots hills where I'm at... well hills in my opinion anyway, maybe not for better riders... HOLY CRAP my legs burned going up them, even in the lowest/highest whatever ... easiest to pedal ... gear, wondered if I'd make it sometimes, may have started to hard for my first ride in 10 years or so.

My biggest question is "how" do I know which wheels, which cranks, which everything works with my bike. As an example, looking at the wheels suggested back in post 2 or 3, those look like fine wheels. I tried to look around on Jenson's web site, there are pages and pages of wheels, so I know I can narrow it down to 29" wheels I guess, that takes it down to two pages of wheels, but still not sure. there are 4 different rear axle types, 3 different front axle types. I have no idea how to "narrow it down from there. Cassettes, Cranks (bottom bracket shell size, interface type etc.)

Maybe if I decide to upgrade some things, I'll have no choice but to come back here and review this thread each time or ask "will this work" and have someone here point me the right direction... but it'd be nice if I could learn how to figure this all out by myself.

thanks

Your old stem was a quill stem and you could raise the stem up as long as you didn't go past the "safe level" mark that was on those stems. Your Iron Horse uses a much better threadless headset and clamp-on stem where the stem just clamps onto the steerer tube of the fork. Your headset will stay tight and no more "turning" stems. The downside is that there is little adjustment you can do. If you wanted to go down you could remove the spacers that are under the stem (assuming you had some), drop your stem down, and then put the spacers on top of the stem instead of below. But you're needing to raise the stem and I assume the stem is already at the top. The only things you can do is either get higher rise handlebars or get a stem that is either more angled or more upright. If it were me I'd go with a different stem; you probably won't gain all that much with higher rise handlebars unless the bar was completely flat to begin with.

This is an example of what I'm talking about, http://www.amazon.com/Dimension-26-0-De ... dless+stem. You'd have to make sure the stem is for 1 1/8" forks and is the correct clamp diameter for your handlebars (which I'm not sure what's on the Sinister). I just looked at the bike on the Iron Horse site and it doesn't specify what size the clamping area of the handlebars is. It would either be 25.4 or 31.8.
blammo585

Postby 208Ryder » Thu May 09, 2013 7:04 pm

So Ive seen someone say the Rear derailleur is not upgradeable, But it sure does look like I can take it off. I saw the same model i have on amazon on sale. I have the sinister 6.2

Did this change on the new models?
Iron Horse 6.2
208Ryder

Postby madhatter9631 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:49 am

OK guys have the same bike and have just one disappointment. The frame is supposed to be aluminum alloy....but the swingarm is not. Anyone know why? Or does anyone know of a swingarm I could replace this one with?
madhatter9631

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 am

Good question,and the answer is price.There were several variations like 6.1 6.2 etc until 6.5 and the 6.5 was a full on 6061 frame but the bike cost 500 bucks and was pitted against the mongoose xr pro which was 100 dollars less and a better bike becuause of the 4 bar link system as well as being full aluminum.If the linkage is the same for the rear triangle then yes you probably could swap it out but the donor bike is all aluminum and why not use that frame.Those bikes even with the steel rear triangle are really not that bad as long as you upgrade the componentry.I know you are from Canada and bikes in general are more expensive there,so look for components rather than looking for a new frame in which to reduce the weight.There may be bigger differences that I am not aware of and its too much of a hassle to modify the rear triangle.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 am

I meant horst linkage suspension.
Purple Haze

Postby madhatter9631 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 am

OK on the rear triangle, guess I will have to focus on other weight effecting upgrades, but my concern with the rear triangle is the the hanger....testing my limits is eventually going to bend or slash break it....but hopefully will kill the defiale first
madhatter9631

Postby madhatter9631 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 am

Woops detailed first:)
madhatter9631

Postby madhatter9631 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 am

I'm in s.Carolina, But anyways, I saw several posts about simple cost effective upgrades, but I have not seen follow up postings to help in my decision making....wanna ride while I build with minimum impact on the wallet
madhatter9631

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 am

Tires first and then what do you want the bike for?This bike can be built for trail by suspension upgrades to both rear and front with cheap alternatives but first say to yourself am I going to use this bike for serious mountain biking or am I going to be on the street.Sorry but the Schwinn thread threw me off because that's the Canadian equivalent.
Purple Haze

Postby madhatter9631 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

OK. So here's my story. Years ago I was an avid rider in such places as the rockies and the wasatch mountains. Went through a messy divorce and now am happily remarried and wanting to get back into the sport. Unfortunately, I can't buy the caliber of bike I used to have, so this is my alternative. Sturdy BBB with upgrade potential to be used for trail usage. Also unfortunately last time someone else maintained my bike and handled replacement parts. I'm a diesel mech so shouldn't be hard but this time around I will have to do the upgrades and replacement ts as necessary for breakage and so on. So any and all help is appreciated
madhatter9631

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers