Iron Horse Sinister 6.2 - upgrade recommendations?

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Iron Horse Sinister 6.2 - upgrade recommendations?

Postby Coherence » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Quick question, was looking into that crankset, and got curious about the stock bottom bracket on my bike. According to the IH website, this is the stock BB http://www.vpcomponents.com/newen/product_detail.php?id=232 - I was looking at it, and it is very different looking that the one pictured with the race face crankset http://www.blueskycycling.com/product4349_37_-Race-Face-Ride-XC-X-Type-Crankset-w--Bottom-Bracket.htm - unless I am just missing something/not understanding how it works. Will I have issues installing this?

Hoping someone sees this before the sale ends this evening - in case they are a compatible.

Also curious as to whether or not the purchase of new wheels will require any other purchases outside of the Cassette (as well as tires and tubes obviously :lol: ) for example with a new Cassette should I look into getting a new chain? Not sure what the quality is like on the BBB chains. Someone also mentioned that my rear derailleur is not-replaceable..does this mean I cannot swap out the back cassette, and thus am stuck with my current wheels? Or am I able to swap it all and just use the stock derailleur?

Sorry lots of questions - just want to make sure I have all the facts straight before I start butchering the bike :oops:

Again I want to thank everyone, you have all been absolutely great with information/assistance. I truly appreciate it!
Coherence

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm

The stock bb isn't sealed. The one from blue sky is sealed as is light years better. The stock unsealed bb are one of the first things to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoomerBrian

Postby Coherence » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Well finally back in state so I got a chance to actually mess with the bike for a few hours.

2 immediate red flags I found. First off, while in the store I shifted it through the gears and noticed no issues, I rode it around today and I cannot shift into High gear (3rd assuming low is 1 and high is 3), the front derailleur shifts the chain but it does not catch on the cog and no matter how fast/slow you are pedalling, it will not catch. Seems like the largest cog could be bent slightly, or the teeth are not machined quite right, because the chain just wont hook up. Second issue is if you take pressure off the front wheel (like lift the frame weight off but leave the wheel in contact with the floor/ground) I have a veritable sh*tload of play, I can shift the frame back and forth probably a good inch or more..not sure if this is intended, but it seemed like a huge amount of wiggle.

Not sure if I should take it back and have an XR Pro ordered, or drive an hour to the Performance bike shop and drop another few bucks on a GT Karakorom 4.0 - it's not full suspension, but I have ridden a few GT's, and they seemed pretty sweet - plus the 4.0 is only about $80 more than the IH. Conisdering the trails here are fairly tame, I probably don't need a FS bike, but I was interested in having one for trips elsewhere.

Decisions decisions...
Coherence

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Get a hard tail if you don't need fs. You will get more bike for the money.

Dérailleur probably needs adjusting. The cheap front dérailleur can be a bitch to adjust properly.

BoomerBrian

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Wiggle in the shock or hub?

BoomerBrian

Postby Coherence » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Wiggle in the hub - shock stays still and the wheel wiggles quite a bit pivoting on the hub - for all I know this could actually be normal, but it certainly seems like A LOT of movement.
Coherence

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Cones must be loose. Those can be tightened with cone wrenches or some thinner wrenches. Don't ride it with them too loose. You can destroy the cones.

BoomerBrian

Postby trmn8r » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:28 am

New member here, just purchased a sinister 6.2 last night. Didn't get a manual with it is what got me online looking around. Glad I did, I had no idea so much could be upgraded to much better parts on a BBB. I began looking around because on my old MB I could raise and lower the bars by loosening the screw that goes down through the stem, I don't 'think' it works the same way on this bike, not sure. I'd like to raise it a bit as I'm just starting to ride again, and after a back surgery 10 years or so ago, it just feels like it would feel better if I was a bit more upright. I can move the seat I put on last night forward maybe two inches, that will help a lot I think, but just trying to find out if the bars were adjustable "up".

Anyway, really glad to find out I can upgrade just about everything but the frame, when I want to if I am able to make myself stick with this and keep riding. I started running about a month ago, every other day using a program on my cell called C25K (couch to 5K) and was looking for something a little less impact to do on my off days of running.
(took my first ride a few minutes ago, only 3 miles, lots hills where I'm at... well hills in my opinion anyway, maybe not for better riders... HOLY CRAP my legs burned going up them, even in the lowest/highest whatever ... easiest to pedal ... gear, wondered if I'd make it sometimes, may have started to hard for my first ride in 10 years or so.

My biggest question is "how" do I know which wheels, which cranks, which everything works with my bike. As an example, looking at the wheels suggested back in post 2 or 3, those look like fine wheels. I tried to look around on Jenson's web site, there are pages and pages of wheels, so I know I can narrow it down to 29" wheels I guess, that takes it down to two pages of wheels, but still not sure. there are 4 different rear axle types, 3 different front axle types. I have no idea how to "narrow it down from there. Cassettes, Cranks (bottom bracket shell size, interface type etc.)

Maybe if I decide to upgrade some things, I'll have no choice but to come back here and review this thread each time or ask "will this work" and have someone here point me the right direction... but it'd be nice if I could learn how to figure this all out by myself.

thanks
trmn8r

Postby trmn8r » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

also, do they make a tool for adjusting the nut on the rear shock? playing around last night, loosened it up quite a bit, now today realized probably get better function on road with less give in rear suspension, tried to tighten it up and by hand only managed a turn or two.
trmn8r

Postby BoomerBrian » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:16 pm

As far as wheels. Yes you will be looking at 29 only. As far as axle you will use standard quick releases.

Pretty much any crankset will work. BB size is what matters. Not sure what the iron horse it.

When you are looking if you post a budget we can post some options for you. There are lots of places to buy things so budget helps really narrow it down.

BoomerBrian

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers