Budget Mongoose XR-Pro build

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Budget Mongoose XR-Pro build

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 pm

This is a critical part of your build because a few other forum members were unable to mount their shocks solidly enough or bridge the gap for the mounts solidly enough and it resulted in broken bolts that span the top part of the mount. Your build is premium to say the least and I cannot wait to hear the outcome. I believe you are building a top tier XC trail monster that should outperform most bikes in that category.
Purple Haze

Postby 98yota » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 pm

I received my tools today so can start installing my new cables and housings. The Jagwire housings and slick stainless cables seem really nice!

Mongoose XR-Pro 29er - Build status: 203mm/180mm Tektro Aquila Rotors with BB7 Calipers, EXA Coil/Oil 6.5" rear shock, Avid SpeedDial7 levers, Ergon EP1 grips.

98yota

Postby 98yota » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 pm

My upper shock mount kit came in this afternoon. I ordered a mounting kit for a Rockshox rear shock. It is a 1/2x1/2 x 60mm x8mm three piece kit. The kit came with a 60mm 1/2” outside diameter sleeve that slides through the shock eye. After the sleeve is in place there are two spacers that slide over sleeve on both sides of the shock eye. I greased everything thing up and fit the assembly together. The shock mounted up perfectly with no slop. The upper and lower shock mounts now cycle perfectly smooth with no play!

Here’s a picture of the kit:

The shock installed:

Mongoose XR-Pro 29er - Build status: 203mm/180mm Tektro Aquila Rotors with BB7 Calipers, EXA Coil/Oil 6.5" rear shock, Avid SpeedDial7 levers, Ergon EP1 grips.

98yota

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:56 pm

This is the one, the build we're all watching now :geek:
Tomcat65

Postby 98yota » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Here is a quick video showing the rear suspension cycle. It is really solid and smooth!

https://youtu.be/vqvpfNzH0DU

98yota

Postby 98yota » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 pm

I didn’t have a lot of time to put into the bike today so did some easy work. I installed my new crankset and front derailleur. The crankset is an SR Suntour XCM 36/22t. The front derailleur is an SRAM X0.

98yota

Postby 98yota » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 am

Hi everyone. I got a little time to work on the bike today. I set up the new brake cables and housings. The tools I ordered made this an easy job. I cut the new housings the same as the factory units because they obviously worked before. For the remote lockout cable I had to make it from scratch. I used scraps from the factory brake cable to mock it up before possibly screwing up any of my new housing material. It came out great. Everything works perfectly and very smooth.

98yota

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:50 am

Please give us some side shots of your monster xc build and a full report of riding characteristics and increased speed of your build. I truly believe this bike is more than the sum of its parts and is all I would want from a mountain XC trail bike. Awesome. :D
Purple Haze

Postby 98yota » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:02 pm

I finished the shifter cables today. I really like how these housings look! These Jaguar slick cables are really nice too. You can immediately tell the difference when side to side with regular cables. They are very smooth. After setting up the cables it was time to get the chain installed followed up with making the whole thing work. Tuning time! After a good amount of adjustments, I finally got the drivetrain dialed in pretty well. I have the whole cassette in either chain ring. It really shifts nice!

Look at the range of the rear mech. Pretty impressive. It has plenty of room for suspension travel too!

Here’s a link to a video of my bike running through all cogs with both chain rings:

https://youtu.be/NQho1pgp9B4

Hope you enjoy the update!

98yota

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Looks GREAT!
Those cables are super smooth, not quite hydraulic smooth, but way smoother than stock
Tomcat65

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers