Mongoose Ledge 3.1

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Mongoose Ledge 3.1

Postby Liv4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Hello everyone, Greetings from the midwest. I found this site while researching some Mongoose bikes. I was at my local walmart and saw a 29" Mongoose Hatchet that i hadnt seen before was researching the quality when i found this site and decided to join because of all the great info you all had. This WM had it for $219 but it was poorly put together they will have a hard time selling it put together like that. I went in there again tonight and they still had the one i told my wife and son i should offer them $75 less to take it like that :D

Tonight i got on WM site to see what others they had. and found one called the Lege 3.1. I then came over here to see if anyone had any info and only saw stuff on the 2.1 which seems to be a 26" bike. So does anyone have any info on the Ledge vs. the Hatchet.

Thanks so much everyone. Oh and by the way im a begineer mountain biker. I have owned 1 for a few year but no serious riding. But starting to ride more and i my old Murray i think has about had it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mongoose-L ... e/21191092

Thanks again everyone for great info.
Liv4

Re: Mongoose Ledge 3.1

Postby TrailBlazr88 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Welcome! The Ledge 3.1 seems to be comparably equipped to the hatchet. Personally I think it looks better though, it is very similar to the XR-Pro frame design.
TrailBlazr88

Postby EscapeVelocity » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Cool beans!

They didnt have the Mongoose Ledge 2.1 up on the site last week.

I wonder if the Ledge 3.1 has disc brake mounts on the rear dropouts.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:30 am

After looking the Ledge 3.1 over, it and the Hatchet are pretty much spec'd the same. Tires, brakes (Promax disk in front/Linear V-brake in rear), cranks, steel handlebars, seatpost (with the cheap seatclamp), pedals, shifters, derailleurs are all the same. Both have an alloy front with the cheaper (and heavier) steel rear end with disk mount (nice to have the option to go to a disk
0, but a non-replaceable derailleur hanger (not good).

Now keep in mind, even though the Ledge looks similar to the XR-Pro, it has nothing in common frame wise other than the fact that they both use a walking beam (meaning horizontal, like Kona) linkage "faux bar" design. The Ledge uses a stamped steel linkage as far as I could tell, while the XR-Pro uses an all alloy hydroformed frame front and rear with a machined linkage and quality bushings throughout.

Not knocking the Ledge, as it looks like a fine option in the 29er FS world, with at least the fact that it has more room for flexibility in upgrading the shock (more room to fit a longer shock, without chancing hitting the frame, say a 6.5" or 7"). Plus, getting a modified shock linkage would be super easy, as all you'd have to do is get a machine shop to cut some hardened steel to a new design and then bolt it right in, as long as the steel was the same thickness as the stock linkage, or you could go all out and even get a better alloy linkage CNC'd! Me and my customizing personality could have a time with this bike... LOL!
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby desertguns » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I really like the looks of this bike. Nice lines. It's more symmetrical than the Hatchet & the top tube looks slightly steeper - maybe a better stand-over height. Hope they show up in my area soon. Would like to see one in person.
desertguns

Postby Liv4 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Well i had to make a trip down to the Dallas area and was able to go by a walmart down here and i got to see a XR-pro it looked really nice but of course the Hatchet is at 219 and the xr pro was 379 I have not seen a ledge in a store yet.

so in what order would you recommend hatchet, ledge 3.2, xr-pro

thanks
Mongoose XR-Pro
Liv4

Postby Liv4 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:43 pm

oh also the xr pro had disc front and back
Mongoose XR-Pro
Liv4

Postby Techman XR-PRO » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 am

Id recommend the XR-Pro first then to be honest I think the hatchet and ledge 3.2 are too close together to tell which one would be better. The hatchet has an aluminum frame with looks to be the same FS rear as the Ledge. Both seem to have the same components but the rear shock is different as earlier posted. the Ledge looks to have more clearance when standing over the bike so that may play a big factor when purchasing one of these fine machines. I would do some more research on them and then make my choice. Hope this helps
Upgrades: Sram 306 hubs, Wtb FX23 Wheelset, Race Face X Type Crankset w/BB, Sram Cassette, Race Face Atlas Handlebars, Hope Space Doctor Headset Spacers, CLARK grips, 6.5 Fox Float RL rear shock & Raidon Rear shock, 2012 Race Face Evolve Stem
Techman XR-PRO

Postby EscapeVelocity » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Techman XR-PRO wrote:Id recommend the XR-Pro first then to be honest I think the hatchet and ledge 3.2 are too close together to tell which one would be better. The hatchet has an aluminum frame with looks to be the same FS rear as the Ledge. Both seem to have the same components but the rear shock is different as earlier posted. the Ledge looks to have more clearance when standing over the bike so that may play a big factor when purchasing one of these fine machines. I would do some more research on them and then make my choice. Hope this helps

+1

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Liv4 wrote:Well i had to make a trip down to the Dallas area and was able to go by a walmart down here and i got to see a XR-pro it looked really nice but of course the Hatchet is at 219 and the xr pro was 379 I have not seen a ledge in a store yet.

so in what order would you recommend hatchet, ledge 3.2, xr-pro

thanks

In order:

1: XR PRO- even with a $160 extra cost over the Hatchet and Ledge the bike is well worth it. Better component mix than most any other BBB'S, and the best frame of any bike at Walmart (the only real competition is the Iron Horse Sinister 6.3/6.5, but they are more $$$). Only absolute need in upgrades is the real shock (any BBB has this problem) and then a great fork would be a nice touch down the road.

2: I'm gonna say the Ledge- while equipped basically identically to the Hatchet, I simply prefer this frame as it looks to fit more riders and has more flexibility for shock options without getting close to hitting the frame.

3: Hatchet, but not much of a difference between it and the Ledge. Both bikes have bottom of the line components and would need most parts upgraded at one time or another. Good starting point to try 29ers cheaply!
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Next

Return to 29ers