Iron Horse Sinister 6.2 - upgrade recommendations?

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Iron Horse Sinister 6.2 - upgrade recommendations?

Postby bikesRfun » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 am

Well, the trade off on inexpensive components is usually weight and adjustability. And sometimes durability.
I believe the rider in this case is 300+ lbs. Most stock springs would be for the 150 - 170 lb range. So if he's getting much more than an inch of sag on a 4" travel fork, he will probably need to get heavy duty spring (s).

Metalman302, if you're not getting much movement, it could be a high amount of stiction or you could have some binding going on.
bikesRfun

Postby metalman302 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Nope not that, it's perfectly smooth and progressive. I think it's just par for the course when dealing with a coil fork designed to accommodate people up to 250 lbs and you only weigh 170.

What percent sag are you getting on your coil forks? My offer to trade you for your air fork still stands :D
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby bikesRfun » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:58 am

I prefer coil spring forks over air as far as the action. I just don't want to add a couple pounds to the bike weight. Are you saying you would trade your Suntour coil fork for my Fox float 120? I'm sure you would . . Hehe. .
bikesRfun

Postby XCapt1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:49 pm

This past Sunday I was able to get a ride in to try out the new upgrades.

The new DNM rear shock worked very well, making my ride much smoother and easier, with no bottoming out. As for the front XCT fork set up, with the pre-load tight I had a little more than 40% Sag leaning forward with my weight (340lbs). If possible I plan to upgrade to an air fork toward the end of the year. Hoping for a seasonal deal to make it possible.

The new Trail Boss 2.25 tires worked great. They held the trail really well. even when dealing with a little mud.

After the ride I decided to remove the crank arms to measure the spindle, for a future UN-55 BB upgrade. Of course I spun it and found it tight and rough when turned, so I opened it up to clean it and re-grease it. Needless to say the bearing were shot and in pieces, so I ended up putting new bearings in today so I keep riding to the next payday, when I can order the UN-55.

Stay Safe
XCapt1

Postby bikesRfun » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:24 pm

How much fork sag if you just sit in a normal riding position and don't lean forward?
bikesRfun

Postby XCapt1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:57 pm

bikesRfun wrote:How much fork sag if you just sit in a normal riding position and don't lean forward?

I got in a ride this morning, and checked it again. In the normal riding position it's around 25%.
I've had people tell me to check it leaning forward and in normal position, as well as a mix of googled videos. What is the correct way?

Stay Safe
XCapt1

Postby bikesRfun » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:56 pm

I would set sag in my normal riding position.
If you have 25% sag in a balanced neutral position which should be your normal riding position, I'd say you're good to go regarding sag.
If you have a rebound adjustment you may want to experiment with that.
bikesRfun

Postby XCapt1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 am

I finally was able to change out my BB to UN-55, it was a pain in the ass to get it installed. Apparently one set of threads in my BB is a little out of alignment. I had to start threading the non drive side first, so it would slide over the canister after it was screwed in. I rode it yesterday with no issue other than needing to adjust my front gearing.
XCapt1

Previous

Return to 29ers