Budget Mongoose XR-Pro build

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Budget Mongoose XR-Pro build

Postby 98yota » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 pm

I’ve been away from the project for a while but had a little time to throw on the pedals. These Rockbros pedals are really light yet seem very solid and smooth. All I need to do now is air up the front fork and rear shock and it is time for the first ride! I can’t wait to let you all know how it goes!

Mongoose XR-Pro 29er - Build status: 203mm/180mm Tektro Aquila Rotors with BB7 Calipers, EXA Coil/Oil 6.5" rear shock, Avid SpeedDial7 levers, Ergon EP1 grips.

98yota

Postby bikesRfun » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Wow. Those pedals look nice.
bikesRfun

Postby Mitkraft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Agreed, those really are some awesome looking pedals!
Mitkraft

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:08 am

Your bike should be awesome and I mean way above the stock package. I compare the XR PRO modded to a EX5 trek for a reason because if your doing massive miles on trails then its the bike you want, Cannot wait for your review and scale weight either.
Purple Haze

Postby 98yota » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Well my Mango Spot digital scale came into day. I did some research and found these scales had good reviews saying they are an accurate and reliable units. Any predictions on the weight? All I can say is that it is a little lighter than I expected.
Mongoose XR-Pro 29er - Build status: 203mm/180mm Tektro Aquila Rotors with BB7 Calipers, EXA Coil/Oil 6.5" rear shock, Avid SpeedDial7 levers, Ergon EP1 grips.

98yota

Postby EngineerD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:10 pm

I'd guess 37 based on your upgrades.
Mongoose XR Pro Thread, Pg 200 is Geometry and Weight info
Mongoose XR Pro Geometry & Weights

XR-Pro Build status: SRAM Eagle GX drivetrain, 180mm Rotors, Avid FR5 Levers, Niner XC Wheels, Tubeless, 720mm Carbon Bars, 32T Oval, Ext BB + Crank.
EngineerD

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 am

We never established a correct frame weight but this bike should be below 32 pounds. If not the tires are where the weight is at because every other change made brought significant weight savings to the bike. Engineer D, how you would estimate a one pound of saving over a stock XR PRO when all of the modifications are far more of a weight reduction than anything the original bike has. If this frame is five pounds then you could be looking at a below 30 pound bike. If the frame weighed in at your nine pound estimate then breaking 32 pounds or less would be darn near impossible. My real prediction is this build will equal or surpass a 2016 Trek EX 5 with ease and that's a big deal in the biking world.
Purple Haze

Postby 98yota » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 am

Well here it is: 28.84lbs.

I’m really happy with the results. I think after the build the bike is lighter but is still strong. The bike should be more enjoyable to ride with all of the upgrades. Keep in mind there are more weight savings to be had as this current weight is with tubbed tires and there are lighter components out there. A ride review is coming soon!

Here is a picture of the bike being weighed. I know it didn’t happen if there are no pictures.

98yota

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:48 am

BINGO, GAMEOVER. Congratulations 98yota because that is the lightest XR PRO weight recorded to this date. I knew it was possible to build a under 30 pound XR PRO but this is a special build that superseded even my expectations. To everyone out there that didn't have faith in what could be achieved with a XR PRO then this is just one more testimony of the shear scope of possibilities this bike can become. If my further predictions of ride quality equaling the top of the line bikes in this category come true then this is a done deal. The bike truly is a remarkable deal in the biking world and I am speechless because we have just had a weigh in that's more than relevant in 2018. Thank you so much for sharing 98yota because you have achieved legendary status in the BBB world without a doubt with a incredible build.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 am

To anyone out there who has repeatedly overlooked the shear magnitude of the XR PROs impact for a full suspension 29er XC trail bike on the bike world then there is nothing left to say other than you will never get it. Can this bike perform in the same manner as bikes costing thousands more? There is little doubt in my mind that you are looking at a bike that can possibly shame a vast majority of bikes in this category in 2018. What a bike the XR PRO IS,
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers