Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Postby Spongebob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 am

Purple Haze wrote:Whats the point sponge bob because that information is found in the forum for the most part. If the bike does not fit you then it dosent fit and no they are not sealed bearings. Study the thread and most of your questions are answered. The last time a weight was measured it was 38 pounds. There is no debating what this bike will do on trails anymore because there is way too much information on it. Drop the weight in componentry and wheels or whatever, but i still say in 2017 to put a modded XR PRO against any 29er FS XC trail bike out there that's not carbon and the performance is on par or better period. The frame is what your after unless you want to step up your game and go carbon. That get a hard tail talk is ok if your doing XC all day long on relatively smooth trails but that is not what the XR pro is about. Please study the XR PRO thread if you want the bike because a whole lot of answers are in there. Or shell out a couple of grand and get a bike that will do exactly the same thing. Which turner do you have? because this is not a downhill bike and depending on where you ride the bike might suit you.

The point is to get accurate information about the frame and build specs in one place to help this community and myself. Most people don't have time to go through 198 pages to get bits and pieces here.
Then there is the Pacific information. For example, Pacific says the shock eie is 165 and, having studied the thread as you say, most posts here say its 160mm. Weight is 38lbs in threads. Pacific says it 45lbs. Etc etc. And the most basic of information, the rear suspension travel, is almost impossible to find. As it turns out, per Pacific, its "1-3/4" - 2" max" and that had to go to the techinical to be answered. After studying the thread, I see many posters say the standover is a lot less than 35". This is another reason that I'm posting it to the community, b/c I wonder about the accuracy of the Pacific information.
I've been riding mtn and road since the late 80's, and been building from the frame up, and or improving the standard frame components. I'm not going to order a bike before I know its specifications and geometry with the hope that its a good fit. Others might have no problem with that.
That is the point.
Spongebob

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am

Its a medium frame and if you have been riding then its good for about 5"9 to about 6"2. Just go to the local Walmart and try it out. I'm only saying that because this is the place where you will find everything about the bike because it was covered here when the bike came out. Its more than worth it if you know what to look for in terms of size. The rear suspension is 6.0 inches and can be upgraded to 6.5 which is standard XC trail dimensions. This bike is not designed as a long travel bike and can accept 2.35 size tires as a maximum size for the rear without constant rubbing. The horst rear suspension as well as frame geometry makes the bike a highly desirable package for the price. The suspension actually works straight out of the box and many people found it adequate for everyday use. The gearing also was regarded as adequate for the majority of users, but you can find the information on this bike from multiple sources. Go to page one of the XR PRO thread to get a idea specs and information.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am

Purple Haze wrote:but i still say in 2017 to put a modded XR PRO against any 29er FS XC trail bike out there that's not carbon and the performance is on par or better period.

Welcome to BBB, where statements like this have made any challenge to the XR-Pro, more or less a personal insult to PH. :roll:

The XR-Pro has a few issues, weight is just one of them, but for $350.00, it's still a contender in the MTB market.
With it's long wheelbase and chainstays, the steep head angle, short travel suspension, it's an XC at best. An awesome bike for the money, but not the end all, definitive, All Mountain, Trail bike that Enduro series racers and teams have purposely ignored because it came from WalMart. How much modification would it take to pit this bike against the $2000.00 Giant Anthem 3?
A $400 - $600 10 speed groupset, with cranks, hydraulic brakes and 180/160 rotors?
A $200- $300 air fork?
A $100- $200 Rear air suspension shock?
$160 for tires,
Would the wheelset hold up? Or would that be another $200 - $450?
Reviews say the Anthem weighs just under 30lb. Can the XR-Pro make the 30lb mark?
With the XR-Pro, maybe you could do it all, but it still has the long chainstays and the steep head angle (the Anthem chainstay 43cm, head angle is 68 degrees, wheelbase 44 1/2in for a medium). In a way, the geometry makes the XR-Pro more of an XC cruiser. A 29'er with long wheelbase and steep head angle.. The XR-Pro could be built into the most comfortable XC bike in the woods. Confidence inspiring, a fair climber, but wide open to serious modification. As is, it's a great beginner bike, but it takes a certain amount of crazy to be like some of us who just enjoy building the BBB brand bikes (and the Craigslisted retro LBS bikes too) into something that will surprise the snobs.

So, Good luck! Whatever you do with it. It's very satisfying to see a bike you spec'd out and assembled yourself on a trail doing everything your ability can make it do. Twice as satisfying to hang in there with the guys who would never consider a Walmart bike.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 am

The XR PRO thread has one at 31.4 tomcat and the head angle is still on par with XC. This chainstay talk speaks to me of a bike with stability at speed on trails but its preference and at this point there is nothing so radical in design change except that polygon bike. It still falls in line with what it is designed for. Rake is for downhill and it has advantages and disadvantages because your weight is rearward and not on the front tire. They compensate now with huge tires but those bikes are slow as molasses on the trails. Giant anthems are nice bikes but you talking about 4,000 bucks or more and a modded XR PRO isn't that far away from even that bike. No one is crazy for modding a bike frame to its potential and to me its the exact opposite with anyone that plunks down 4 or 5 grand on a bike that does exactly the same thing. Its up to the user to decide whether he wants a expensive gold coin or a cheap one, but i will always pick the cheap one. By the way that's a 7005 bike giant is selling and the XR PRO cant beat the bike on weight but a whole lot of other bikes can make a Anthem look like a porker for cheaper. Where are you getting these prices from because i continuously post mods that beat those prices over and over as well as the replies with photos of the customers purchases.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 pm

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-3
Just because you've posted an AliExpress price, doesn't mean everyone will attack it like piranhas.
After the brand name lawsuits Ali endured recently, there are very few brand names to be seen on their pages.
Even if I'm not riding an expensive bike, I want to at least be able to recognize the components brand names and buy from the names I trust when I upgrade.
Tomcat65

Postby craigo198 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Just an update on my XRPRO. IVe been riding my frame with the steel pipe collar on it with no issues whatsoever.
SPL-LOCK-2.jpg
SPL-LOCK-2.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 170 times
(I had my seat tube torn apart months ago running a long seatpost) I still want to shop for a frame regardless and Im not too sold on the carbon fiber as Ive been hearing the 7005 aluminum is the way to go still. I tried searching alliexpress for a large aluminum frame but it seems the largest they make them is 19 in. Anybody have a link to a 21 or 22" 7005 aluminum frame from china?
craigo198

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm

That bike is two grand and its the 27.5 plus bike. Different category and the XR PRO is far more versatile than that bike. Remember what i can get for that price from Aliexpress in full carbon. This anti Aliexpress idea really dosent hold any merit because the evidence is too overwhelming coming from the entire globe including the States. The market changed and even mtbrs largest thread is Chinese carbon. Its you choice tomcat and i respect that, but there are alternatives and they are good ones. The trade war is over and has been for a long time. Blame the companies that went there for cheap labor but we are benefiting with cheap goods that are unbelievable deals. Its a new era of cheap high quality goods and its your choice if you missed out on it, but its the same or much better because its way cheaper period. Craig 198, not a 29er FS frame as of yet and i am happy you are able to ride with the clamp. Carbon is the way to go for now until they put out a 7005 frame but check out the Amazon deals with mongoose because there is a Salvo for dirt cheap you might not want to pass up.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Forget the Amazon deals because they were one offs featuring returned bikes or frame sizes that didn't sell. One of the frame sizes was a XL salvo for 800 bucks but its gone now. I will keep looking because they keep posting new stuff recently.
Purple Haze

Postby orvil » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Crap Tomcat, when will you learn?!! This forum is now officially renamed "The PH Forum and XR-Pro Emporium and All Things Cheap Chinese"!
orvil

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 am

No arguments orvil but come up with alternatives that are comparable for the same or less of a price.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers