Best Big Box Hardtail option available?

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Best Big Box Hardtail option available?

Postby metalman302 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 am

How is he showing the fork flex like that? Is someone else holding the wheel between their legs?
metalman302

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 am

The "Boundary" looks a lot like a version of the old Mongoose Deception which I bought for $199 in December of 2011 and have put a couple thousand desert trail miles on since then.

My mantra for a BBB is that you can upgrade it while you're riding it.The only component on my Deception that actually failed was the freewheel (bit the dust in June of 2017). I bought a new freewheel for US$30 and had an LBS install it while we mooched around the store looking at some nice modded classic bikes (a Y-frame Trek set up as a cyclocross for $400 for instance). The new freewheel has one of the super climber gears on it that, so far, I have not tried. (Thanks Purple_Haze for the aliexpress link to the superclimber gear set freewheel.)

The Boundary should be a cinch to upgrade. Looks like it has good cranks so just change the BBB to a sealed unit, get some better pedals, add a better fork with modern shocks, hydraulic brakes and maybe shifters (although I quite like my grip-shifters on the Deception... which still work fine).

I probably have $500 into my Deception but that was money spent over almost six years of daily riding.

Just as an aside, I rode my Trek 4500 26" during the two weeks the Deception was awaiting parts and a trip to the LBS, and when I got the big "D" back together and rode it home from my workshop I could have kissed it! The Deception fits me so much better and is such a pleasure to ride in comparison with what was a $1,000 MTB ten years ago.

The remarks are typical. I am convinced none of those guys actually ride. I think they're Russian forum-bots. :D
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for the forum WDR and where have you been since last year?
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 pm

metalman302 wrote:How is he showing the fork flex like that? Is someone else holding the wheel between their legs?

He might have just had the front tire jammed against a wall, since it doesn't take much force to twist a 28mm fork with welded-sheet lowers!

I think he over-stated the quality of the fork. Though it could be much worse (it's far from the worst bbb fork), this level of fork does not support the forces of a disc brake caliper mounted to the left leg. The steering will pull to the left if/when the rider needs to stab the front brake as between technical sections of a downhill trail, which can throw the rider off balance and off of the trail (I didn't need too many reminders about this). For mild riding this fork will be ok, though he makes the presumptive claim that the grease seals actually work, which is untrue when ridden over rougher, dustier or wet trail conditions.

The reviewer seemed to believe that the chainrings were not part of the overall Shimano crankset. The Shimano crankset like the fork is far from the worst parts to be found on bbb's and would be worth keeping on board until perhaps it suffered serious trail damage.
This being a Schwinn, I doubt that the bottom bracket is complete crap either.
My Huffy TR745 came with a Shimano front derailer, but this same generic one worked ok on my Mongoose Hondo for all of 500 hard trail miles!

All in all though, this is a good bike for the money, the very best bbb deal that I know of, and the price has been stable at just $199.

This bike seems about as good of a deal as the Huffy TR745 that several of us bought when they were on sale for $179, though the Huffy has a better one-piece right crankarm/spider, and also features an 8s rear cassette freehub with nearly indestructible axle. This Schwinn makes up for that with a nicer frame and likely-better brake calipers and rotors
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Agreed,but hey this a 200 dollar bike and air forks are down to 120 bucks.Totally buildable frame but I still think the vilano frame is better.The new frames are off the charts good.
Purple Haze

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Purple Haze wrote:Thanks for the forum WDR and where have you been since last year?

I love this forum. You guys make it great.

I had open heart surgery Oct. 1, 2016 and been working my way back. I thought knee replacement was bad but it was a walk in the park compared to open heart. In November of 2016 I started cardiac physical therapy and that helped a lot (if you ever have open heart be sure and get the follow-up cardio therapy).

Then the little girl who lives next to my workshop and chats with me 3 or 4 times a week over the fence learned to ride her bike at age 8 and adopted me. She made me ride, ride and ride. And I bought her a BBB (bmx type) so she looked a little cooler racing away from me (that pink bike was embarrassing).

So I taught her to pump on the bumps on a track, taught her the basics of bunny-hop, taught her to swim in June and last month she said we were "BFF"; I had to look that up. LOL

So I'm working my way back... and back to work on a limited basis. :)
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 am

WOW,i am very sorry to hear of all your troubles but please take it easy.I am getting up there in age and now require surgery on my shoulder but nowhere near what you have been through.Your a good hearted man with a kind heart so please be careful so your adopting parent child will have many more fun filled days with you. :)
Purple Haze

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 am

Purple Haze wrote:WOW,i am very sorry to hear of all your troubles but please take it easy.I am getting up there in age and now require surgery on my shoulder but nowhere near what you have been through.Your a good hearted man with a kind heart so please be careful so your adopting parent child will have many more fun filled days with you. :)

Actually, once the basic healing is done (30 to 60 days) it's time to start to push it. That's what the cardio therapy is for. Last time I was in there I was pushing up to 300 watts over 45 minutes and burning 400 calories (on a stair climber). The first time I was doing 20 watts for 5 minutes.

Conventional wisdom used to be "take it easy". Now it's get back to your former fitness. Mine, even at age 74, was quite high formerly between x/c skiing and MTBs. Other guys not so much, perhaps.

The neighbor girl (now 9) is anything but gentle on me. But she doesn't cost $150 an hour, either. :P
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby dddd » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:32 am

It sounds like your doctors not only know what they are doing and are confident in their "repairs", but also that you will be getting your "money's worth" so to speak from your surgery.

Best of luck with your progress, I'm confident that your state of fitness will allow you to more fully recover.
dddd

Postby craigo198 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:41 am

Purple Haze wrote:Agreed,but hey this a 200 dollar bike and air forks are down to 120 bucks.Totally buildable frame but I still think the vilano frame is better.The new frames are off the charts good.
is this the forks you're referring to purple? https://www.walmart.com/ip/SR-Suntour-X ... 3=&veh=sem

any reviews on them yet? Im ready to pull the trigger if they are light and durable enough. Im almost ready to pull the trigger on the chinese carbon AC036 bike frame as well, Im giving my xr pro frame one last chance with a mild steel 2 piece pipe collar lol. Looks like everything checks out spec wise on the bike frame. BSA bottom bracket 68mm wide, 135x9mm QR axles, tapered frame for headset but they will include free adapter.
craigo198

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers