Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Information and reviews abut 29ers sold by the bigbox stores now
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Walmart Mongoose XR-PRO 29

Postby dddd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 pm

It may be that Amber was less than accurate about what was said about the limit line, but rather that the length of post above the collar was to great for the frame to withstand.
Adding a longer post is common, but doesn't mean that the bike is expected to hold up to the same force limits as when the stock post length was used.

Again, these bikes have limits which are tested for and which are probably the same across the bbb industry. They don't make them stronger than that because it automatically means that the weight and/or cost will increase. They establish load test limits and then apply them to their entire adult bike lineup.

The Zoom seatpost is also made to similar limits, since the post and frame both showed overloading stress even with the post inserted sufficiently.
Zoom is perhaps the world's largest supplier of inexpensive OEM posts, bars, stems and forks to the bike industry, so we know that their standards are in line with what the rest of the industry expects, not just Pacific.
So the simple conclusion is that this bike was subjected to usage that is beyond what bbb's in general are designed for. There are stronger posts and bikes out there, but not being sold at box stores that I know of.

Moving up the line to say a Mongoose Ruddy bike that sells for $800 online, I immediately see a tapered headtube, thicker fork tubes and what looks like a much thicker seatpost. So even though it's just considered a trail bike, it is made stronger than a bbb.

I know that a lot of bigger riders ride bbb's, so I recommend that the bigger the rider, the harder the trail and the longer one keeps riding the same bike, that at some point it's best to move up to more trail-worthy bikes than bbb's. That's just the way it is because of the cost/weight considerations I mentioned above.
dddd

Postby dddd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:21 pm

craigo198 wrote:I guess all I can really do now is find a seat post that will bottom out on the frame and weld it in there. If that should ever break I think the bike frame would be trash.

I repaired an old Nishiki aluminum mtb frame with a broken weld for a friend by adding a strap to wrap around the seat tube. I can get a picture, but on that frame there was a bolt running through the rear end of the top tube where the frame was bolted together, and I sized the strap carefully with two holes, so tightening the bolt pulled tension into the thick aluminum strap. I was proud of that repair! It was a Cunningham Design Nishiki with elevated chainstays, same model but not this same bike though, check it out:

dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Until we hear of other such reports dddd I would not be so quick to say these frames cannot exceed the stresses of another seat post being installed.Craig 198s problem was unfortunate but no where near indicative of saying that this will happen to every one that does not move on to a more expensive bike.That same theme of a lot of bigger riders ride BBBs is also a misnomer for people that are just trying to get in shape ride BBBs instead of people that are trying to save money ride them.The XR pro has already proven itself over and over again by thousands of happy customers that thrash the living you know what out of the bike.This forum and other forums on the web have too many testimonials describing its behavior and durability for years .The spring and summer riding season are coming up and there are many families and avid riders who make decisions on bikes by reading what we people like us post on the web and one incident would never deter me from getting this bike.This bike is a deal and a half by this industries standards and can still be built to rival any comparable LBS bike with a 4 bar link rear suspension.This thread is filled with people that have installed other seat post with the same reliability as stock.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:48 pm

This entire thread is soo long and absolutely filled with modded xr 29 pros with seat post and almost everything thing else changed on their bikes.The bikes frame geometry still compares favorably with anything from trek or specialized in 2017 and is in my opinion is still the best deal going on in the mtb industry period.If anyone reading this thread or any other forum knows of a better deal that even comes close to comparing with this bike please post it because I cant find one.Not trying to promote one bike over the other but I have yet to see any and I mean any deal like this.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 am

dddd, a mongoose ruddy is a hard tail that does not offer the frame geometry to build on like a XR PRO and to myself is lesser of a bike for more.Sure it comes with better stock components but in the end is nowhere near the capabilities of a modded xr pro and cost twice as much.This discussion of what a xr pro can handle based on craig198s experience is not anywhere near a fair representation of what this bike is capable of.I will go so far as to say that the XR pro has a similar frame geometry of treks brand new 29er 9.8 and fully modded can weigh 6 to 7 pounds over a absolute top of the line carbon fibre race XC bike.The trek cost 10,000 bucks but I can get a fully modded XR pro with carbon cranks for under a 1,100 bucks.Both of those XC bikes will complete the same task with the XR pro being slower in most cases.Call me crazy but I would bet anything on what I just said.Some of this sounds too much like what mtbr is promoting in their forums and not true whatsoever, like if you cant afford it buy a used brand name bike that's ten years old off craigs list instead of a Walmart bike that can be modded and shame most if not all brands on price.If you don't believe me just go back some pages on this thread and compare Trek or Specialized frame geometry with the XR pros.
Purple Haze

Postby craigo198 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:44 pm

dddd wrote:
I repaired an old Nishiki aluminum mtb frame with a broken weld for a friend by adding a strap to wrap around the seat tube. I can get a picture, but on that frame there was a bolt running through the rear end of the top tube where the frame was bolted together, and I sized the strap carefully with two holes, so tightening the bolt pulled tension into the thick aluminum strap. I was proud of that repair! It was a Cunningham Design Nishiki with elevated chainstays, same model but not this same bike though, check it out:

not sure im following too well. I would have to see pics to fully understand.
craigo198

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Craig 198,unless you can tig weld a piece of aluminum or as you said before and jam a post all the way down and the post is stable then the bike presents safety issues and is unridable.I am truly sorry for your misfortune but this is a mountain bike and you need a highly stable platform to sit on.
Purple Haze

Postby Ridin_Dirty » Sun May 14, 2017 8:14 pm

craigo198 wrote:what's the widest tire anyone has run on this bike? I know my back tire occasionally rubs as it is when I do some fast turns and its only a 2.25. It looks like front may have some more forgiveness.

Wanted to revisit as I have the same question. I was thinking about putting 2.2s on my XR-Pro. Y'all foresee any issues running that size?
Ridin_Dirty

Postby craigo198 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 am

well Im still riding this hunk o junk with pipe clamps so the frame wont rip anymore. What size bearings does this bike take for suspension pivot points and where is the best place to get them? Thanks.
craigo198

Postby Purple Haze » Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 am

TF TUNED is a place you can purchase shock mount kits and you will have to measure everything including the ID or inner diameter or OD outer diameter of the stock components.What happened to your bike is a shame but these bikes have a reputation for being solid as a rock and I have yet to find anyone that suffered the same fate as yourself.The XR PRO is still the best package XC dual suspension bike for the lowest price you can possibly buy bar none,and if you know of something else with four bar link suspension and similar componentry then post it.Your bike as it stands presents safety issues that are very hard to rectify because you need a seat post mount like every other bike except for trials bikes to provide comfort and stability.There is no frame that is that cheaply priced that I have found that is even comparable with the XR PRO.The XR PRO although cheaply priced is not a cheap beginners bike by no means whatsoever and still competes with most every other full suspension 29er XC bike period.People that have negative opinions of this bike actually have no idea of what the bike is capable of in a equal venue of just about any XC full suspension bike with equal componentry.The bike you have is Walmarts flagship 29er and its still a unbeatable deal bar none in Europe or America so far.I am sorry for what happened to you but the bike is not junk in its original form by any means whatsoever.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to 29ers