For fun.. dutch bike items that will not make it to the us.

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

For fun.. dutch bike items that will not make it to the us.

Postby sibergirlblue » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Attachment for newborn baby seat.

http://www.steco.nl/pages/image.php?afbeelding=../producten/afbeeldingen/con_38.jpe Good luck finding a helmet for that kiddo.

Attachment for umbrella baby strollers..

http://www.steco.nl/pages/image.php?afb ... con_96.jpg

Anyone have any others?? :lol:
sibergirlblue

Re: For fun.. dutch bike items that will not make it to the

Postby steady eddie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:15 am

I have one item: The Dutch carry their little ones on the back rack in a seat made just for that purpose..

And one of the "Hurty" things is the pinch point at the saddle/seat springs. It seems that the child may be fascinated by the springs bouncing up and down, and will poke their little fingers in between the coils.. :!: ..

The Dutch solution is to cover over the springs with a heavy, fabric, sewn bag, and they secure it on there with a knotted draw-string..

Here in the USA you will not find a "Saddle Jock-strap" anywhere.. :lol: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby sibergirlblue » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Jock-Strap :)

I havn't seen those.. I do have to say that in europe, parents are not as concerned with imposed safety. They let there kids play with what ever toys interest them.. (marbles for 2 year olds? Why not.) They seem to just modify based on the kid.

Also I noticed that busy railroad tracks that run through parks...have no fences. I guess kiddos don't wander onto the tracks.
sibergirlblue

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:40 pm

sibergirlblue wrote:Jock-Strap :)

I havn't seen those.. I do have to say that in europe, parents are not as concerned with imposed safety. They let there kids play with what ever toys interest them.. (marbles for 2 year olds? Why not.) They seem to just modify based on the kid.

Also I noticed that busy railroad tracks that run through parks...have no fences. I guess kiddos don't wander onto the tracks.

Oh I'm sure that some kiddos wander onto the tracks... and some drunk adults as well. It's just not a huge priority for the culture I guess. It's only recently that the Germans are looking harder at the "no speed limit" on the autobahns and thinking that perhaps having one car going 180mph and a bunch of other cars going 50mph might be a bad idea. The accidents they have are truly horrendous but don't get a lot of media play.

I remember that in Germany they locked people into 2nd floor dorms (boys in one wing, girls in another) from 10pm 'til 8am. With no emergency exits; the only way out was the locked door. When I complained that this might be dangerous in case of a fire the attendant looked at me with scorn and said, "Vell, dere vasn't any fire vas dere?"

Last time I ever stayed in a German hostel, I can tell you that. LOL
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby sibergirlblue » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Mike drove the Bahn from Munster to Munich and I didn't notice any places you can really go as fast as you want. There are speeds signs posted and they they slow everyone down when you approch an onramp, bridge, tunnel, city, ect. So I imagine that not many people rev their cars up to 150 mph just to have to slow to 63 every two miles. :lol:
sibergirlblue

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:48 pm

I think they've rethought the entire idea and decided to change. Ten years ago, however, you could drive as fast as you liked as long as you stayed in the left (inside) lane.

At one time Oregon had no speed limit: "reasonable and prudent" was the motto in the 1960s. More recently Montana had some "no speed limit" freeways but the crashes got too bad for them too.

The only place left you can drive as fast as you want is the Isle of Man. I wonder how long *that* will last.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Return to Cargo Bikes