My Craigslist Oma

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

My Craigslist Oma

Postby sibergirlblue » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:44 pm

So this weekend we went over to the wet side (seattle) and looked at an Oma bike that was listed on Craigslist.

The girl selling lived on Capital Hill...so umm.. she decided that a 3 speed Oma probably didn't work well. She also didn't know the bike that well. She said it had a Shimano hub..it's a Sram 3. It's not labled and according to her someone came back from Germany with it and gave it to her. However it does have a steel frame with lugged joints. The chain is fully enclosed and has dress guard, o lock, back rack, Front and tail lights with dynamo and a Basil basket that attaches to the back. It's 28' inches and perfect for me. It's not a Gazelle.. but then again I paid way less than 1,500 for it. :D

Hopped on it to go to the bank today.. wearing a skirt. :mrgreen: (ok with leggings and boots...it is October)

The cool red bits are a squeaker, seat cover and key fob I bought on our trip to Germany in August.

sibergirlblue

Re: My Craigslist Oma

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Cool little bike... well, not little. LOL. I like the red bits. When I suggested to that former owner that she buy the $99 fixie that WalMart carries I thought she'd faint. Her boyfriend says he's a bike messenger in Bellevue (not very hilly) and rides a fixie he made out of an old 10-speed.

Anyway, I like your bike. I bet you got some looks riding around on it. The weather has been pretty good for that, too.

Your purchase was significantly less than ours. :P
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby sibergirlblue » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Ya.. I didn't have the heart to point out that quite a few of the parts on this "German Bike" are made in Asia :lol: I do think she was telling the truth about it being purchased in Germany.. it's just a lower end oma.. and most of those even in germany are made with parts made in asia now. So Gazelle it's not...however it is like what you would ride in Germany if you rent from a hotel... and a lot of people buy these just to ride and not worry so much about it getting stolen or trashed by your kids. It's a regular joe's oma. It did good on the ride..though I think it needs some trueing. I wonder if the local place will tune it up. I'm just happy to have a 28" girly bike.

However I did do an oppsy. While trying to adjust the handlebars...i striped the head of the nut.. :x errr. So now I'm not sure how I'm going to raise the handlebars. Guess I'm stronger than I look.
sibergirlblue

Postby steady eddie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:46 am

sgb--

Congrats on your new Oma.. :D ..

The rear "bumper" guard (to protect the rear, fender mounted light) tells me that the bike
is made by Azor. I cannot imagine "why" it is unlabeled or does not have even a head-badge.. :?: ..

The Azor bikes all have the "proprietary" bend to the rear lower fender stay (downward) for
straight-to-the-rear taillight/reflector protection. No other brands have it, that I have found. The white paint on the rear fender is another tip-off as to bike brand, although not as much as the rear "bumper".

Recently, the Azor bikes have all had Asian-sourced frame sets, a fact that you mentioned from saying it had Asian parts.

Does your new Oma have the wiring INSIDE the frame tubes, for the generator powered lights.. :?: ..
Last edited by steady eddie on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 am

sibergirlblue wrote:However I did do an oppsy. While trying to adjust the handlebars...i striped the head of the nut.. :x errr. So now I'm not sure how I'm going to raise the handlebars. Guess I'm stronger than I look.

If you just stripped the head it will probably be possible to get it loose with a good pipe wrench. But don't use crescent (adjustable) wrenches without making absolutely certain that they have a tight fit. I have some pipe wrenches (from your great-grandfather) that will probably get that capscrew out. Until you bring it up here though, you're probably stuck with the handlebars at the height they are now. :mrgreen:
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby sibergirlblue » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:45 pm

steady eddie wrote:sgb--

Congrats on your new Oma.. :D ..

The rear "bumper" guard (to protect the rear, fender mounted light) tells me that the bike
is made by Azor. I cannot imagine "why" it is unlabeled or does not have even a head-badge.. :?: ..

The Azor bikes all have the "proprietary" bend to the rear lower fender stay (downward) for
straight-to-the-rear taillight/reflector protection. No other brands have it, that I have found. The white paint on the rear fender is another tip-off as to bike brand, although not as much as the rear "bumper".

Recently, the Azor bike have all had Asian-sourced frame sets, a fact that you mentioned from saying it had Asian parts.

Does your new Oma have the wiring INSIDE the frame tubes, for the generator powered lights.. :?: ..

It's interesting you mentioned Azor. I did find an page online where a guy was talking about how he bought a unlabeled dutch bike and a local bike shop that sold azor said that it looked like it was probably an azor based on the build. His looks like a diamond frame version of mine.

The dynamo does go through the frame though it does come out a bit below the light...where it's then secured by the very European method of black zip tie. The dynamo and lights are are labeled Union as is the front hub... though it's not a dynamo hub. The parts that are show country of origin are all taiwan. It's possible that these are basic azors unlabeled for use as generic rentals or special order for a store. However mine has the rear wheel kick stand (like a Gazelle) not the center...though it does have the mounting plate. Gazelle also has the same bumper for the taillight.. as well has a white rear. http://www.gazelle.us.com/brands/yepp-products/yepp-maxi-standard?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_gazelle.tpl&product_id=190&category_id=36
So it's possible it's just a Taiwan bike sold for a cheaper price in Europe as their popular counterparts. ;)
sibergirlblue

Postby sibergirlblue » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Oh.. also found a store in Richland that carries electra's (not so excited about them...but the fact that he carries bikes with internal gears) He said he would be happy to look it over and tune it up..he said hub gears are easier to work on anyway. He gave it a ride and checked out the wheels and said it looks truer than some of the new bikes he has. He is keeping it for the weekend to tighten the front break and look at the gears..he said he seemed third was not working...and I have to agree that I noticed on my ride that I had to go back and forth a couple times before third would engage. He said he can probably replace my nut too as I didn't strip the shaft..just the head. :) He was pretty impressed with the size though.. he parked it next to a bike with 26" tires. It made that bike look like tiny.
sibergirlblue

Postby steady eddie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:45 am

Happy to hear that you found a LBS willing to actually work on an IGH..our two LBS's over here would rather not, claiming a lack of training and tools.

It does take a bit of extra work to place the generator wiring inside the frame tubes, which is common in Europe, but very rare or unheard of here.. :?: ..it is just the "correct" way of doing things.. :) ..

BTW, the American that started the "Workcycles" company in Amsterdam, he uses the Azor
framesets to build up his own branded bikes. I read one of his blog postings where he commented that the Asian Azor frames were much more of a higher quality than even the older Euro-made frames. #1. They are lighter, and #2, They are all VERY plumb--level--and
square, meaning that the overall build quality is very high. He was pleasantly surprised. And it was a big plus, one that he never suspected.. :mrgreen: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:00 am

About the physical size of your Oma: I finally got to see a 29" (700c) wheel sized Deception
MTB and, like you said, it overshadowed the 26ers parked next to it by a large amount.

The 700c wheel is the 28" wheel size in modern, contemporary Europe, the 700c wheel size is
becoming more common over here in the States. It just makes more sense (on a commuter bike) to roll-out farther with each wheel revolution.. :D ..
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby sibergirlblue » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:24 pm

That would explain why I'm finding this bike is not too heavy.. I mean it IS heavy for a bike.. however I was able to load it into the back of my van on my own. Course I'm used to picking up 40lb plus kids....so maybe I'm just buffer than I look :lol:

However I think If you compared to some of the WM cruser bikes...I think you would find this bike is pretty comparable.
sibergirlblue

Next

Return to Cargo Bikes