Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:46 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:
sibergirlblue wrote:I really doubt that. So far he has been resistant to me buying "another bike" when he hasn't gotten a new one. Of course my quick suggestions was "ok lets get you a new bike too!" That didn't go too well..


That's "catch-22": you can't have a new bike because I don't have a new bike... and I don't want a new bike. :mrgreen:

Well, you still have your allowance. :D

=====

I wish I HAD an allowance.. :roll: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes..they are selling..

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Walmart Opa 28 out of stock online.. :shock: ..

Hope that they get more.. :mrgreen: ..

The Dutch style bikes have a very long wheelbase, and the Portland cyclists are reporting that they do not fit on the outside bike carrier racks on the Tri-Met Buses. Also, on the Light Rail Max line commuter trains, they touch the floor when hung on the supplied bike hanger hooks. One hook per bike, hung by the front wheel. I have also read that the handlebars on "some" Dutch bikes are so W-I-D-E that the cyclists Owners must bungee-cord the front wheel full turn one way to keep from hitting the bike hanging next to it. This means that the train must be empty to un-hang your BBB (Big Black Bike).

For the Portland Opa and Oma wannabe cyclists this is a real problem and a deal breaker for many of them. Especially for those of a smaller stature, like a size 4. It is a problem that few saw coming, and many use mass transit to haul their bikes. For example. the Max train runs right up Sunset to the Portland Zoo and the beautiful Washington Park, and from there you can ride straight out to the Old Helvatia Tavern, where you can partake of the World Famous Dinner Plate Sized Cheeseburger.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes..they are selling..

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:49 pm

steady eddie wrote:Walmart Opa 28 out of stock online.. :shock: ..

Hope that they get more.. :mrgreen: ..

The Dutch style bikes have a very long wheelbase, and the Portland cyclists are reporting that they do not fit on the outside bike carrier racks on the Tri-Met Buses. Also, on the Light Rail Max line commuter trains, they touch the floor when hung on the supplied bike hanger hooks. One hook per bike, hung by the front wheel. I have also read that the handlebars on "some" Dutch bikes are so W-I-D-E that the cyclists Owners must bungee-cord the front wheel full turn one way to keep from hitting the bike hanging next to it. This means that the train must be empty to un-hang your BBB (Big Black Bike).

For the Portland Opa and Oma wannabe cyclists this is a real problem and a deal breaker for many of them. Especially for those of a smaller stature, like a size 4. It is a problem that few saw coming, and many use mass transit to haul their bikes. For example. the Max train runs right up Sunset to the Portland Zoo and the beautiful Washington Park, and from there you can ride straight out to the Old Helvatia Tavern, where you can partake of the World Famous Dinner Plate Sized Cheeseburger.


Interesting story on the Opa/Oma and Mass Transit.

This is making me very curious about the frame size.

EDIT: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/to ... ocoa/cocoa (Here is the Trek Cocoa. Not sure how close the geometry is to other BBBs. Notice the chainstays are super long, but the wheelbase is not that much longer than most other Treks.)
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:33 am

Clearly meant for a very upright seating position. Something you could ride to the opera. :)

These are beautiful bicycles in their own way... form follows function.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Moses Lake, WA

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:48 am

Because the odds are against you, you can't waltz into your local WM store and lay a tape measure on one of these bikes. The stores do not stock them. The only way to find one, in a WM, would be a returned Opa or Oma bike. Even those WM bikes sold online, I think they still honor the return policy on them. The U.S. importer of these bikes cannot keep up with the demand. So, if you do find one on display, you can figure it was a "return"..

It does happen, as over on the Blog Thread:

http://bikeportland.org/2011/07/11/walm ... odel-56167

There was reportedly one WM Dutch bike at the WM in Eugene, Oregon, it was "display only"
and not for sale.

So it remains that you must pay the price of admission (250 bucks) to be able to measure one.

BTW..with all of these WM Dutch Replica bikes being sold, you would think there would be a few "reviews" of them being posted on the 'Net.. :?: ..if there are reviews, other than the 2 at WM's site, then I cannot find them..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:09 am

wa_desert_rat wrote:Clearly meant for a very upright seating position. Something you could ride to the opera. :)

These are beautiful bicycles in their own way... form follows function.

====

The new Trek "Cocoa" is a step in the right direction, and Trek will sell a bazillion of them.

The bike has been universally "talked down" on the few reviews that I read. The reviews were written by those reporters that saw it first at the Interbike Show. My only two issues are the Aluminum frame and the Price.. :o ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:52 am

Here's a pic from the Importer's Photostream of the Opa 28 BBB at the 2110 Interbike Show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclefg/50 ... hotostream

This pic might give you an idea of just how BIG these bikes really are..remember when you were a kid, and Aunt Marge was the photographer of a Family Picture?? It was always: The tallest stand in the back...

And, from this picture, in 2110, it sure looks like the front rack/carrier was not there yet.
It could very well be that the front rack was something that WM's buyers wanted.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:11 am

Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby 1oldopa » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:04 pm

I really like the looks of the black opa Hollandia verses the blue 3 speed, both offered by Wal-mart. It really looks very much like a variant of the Flying Pigeon . They are also both single speed. The Flying Pigeon will not accept a change to a multi speed hub (Sturmy-Archer etc. ) without some major changes including brakes and rims. The Flying Pigeon has a 40 hole spoke hole hub vs 32 or 36 for more modern bikes.I have two questions for anyone out there: Could the black single speed opa be easily converted to a conventional rear multi-speed coaster brake hub. Also does anyone know if it will accept a front electric hub motor. I am an opa aged male with slightly arthritic knees. Thanks 1oldopa
1oldopa
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:34 pm

1oldopa wrote: Also does anyone know if it will accept a front electric hub motor. I am an opa aged male with slightly arthritic knees. Thanks 1oldopa


I can't think of any reason a front hub motor wouldn't work....
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Bikes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest