Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:20 am

I am still very much fascinated by the concept of using kerosene/oil lamps for lighting on an Opa 28 WM bike. They will certainly pass every requirement of the Law, require no batteries, and are very "green" in the fact that they will burn vegetable oils.

Some were very fancy and no bigger than a common coffee mug:

fancy lamps.jpg
Red jeweled lens to port, green jeweled lens to starboard...
would run for hours on one filling..
fancy lamps.jpg (191.94 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:39 am

sibergirlblue wrote:I don't mind not spending 1500 on a bike..where I live no body would know the difference...because everyone buys from Walmart here. However, it would be great to not have to do this...
.


That's a great photograph! LOL.... by the time you got all those locks off the bike you would have forgotten where you were going. And they might weigh one or two pounds, too. :mrgreen:
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Moses Lake, WA

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:26 am

Your point is well taken on this end...if your WM BBB (Big Black Bike) gets stolen, you are not
"out" that $1500, only $250..big difference..and like you say, 99% of the folks won't know the difference, based on looks alone.

So, how do you best "prove" that a police-recovered bike is your bike?? The best hint that I ever read, was to include a photograph of you and the bike, roll it up and stuff it into the seat tube. But not an "ordinary" snapshot. You first take the pic to Office Max (or someplace similar) and you have it encased in clear plastic, flexible, laminate. You then roll
that up and stuff the now waterproof image into the seat tube. An old spoke or a piece of coat hanger wire can then be used by you, to fish the "proof-of-ownership" out of the seat post tube.. :idea: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...powder coat??

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:13 am

wdr--

I know you are familiar with aircraft, and know about the green paint used for corrosion
control, a zinc chromate coating applied to all the inner surfaces.

Over on:

http://bikeportland.org/2011/07/11/walm ... odel-56167

there is a poster that actually owns an Oma WM bike, just like the one your daughter is considering buying.

Anyway, this Oma Owner reported that wherever the black paint had chipped off (!) there
was green paint exposed. This was a finish that she could not scratch off with a knife, down to bare steel.. :shock: ..she then said that she thought it was a powder-coating and, further, she was unhappy to say that she thought the frame was originally painted green and not black, and that Hollandia had sold her a cheap, "re-painted" bike.. :lol: ..

I have reason to believe the Hollandia folks DO powdercoat the frames in China, beginning with an electro-static zinc-chromate coating, the green coating that was found under the black, outer finish.

*If* your daughter does buy a WM Oma, could you check this out for me??
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Eddie... ya, either zinc chromate or power coating would be a good thing that would keep a steel bicycle frame from rusting. I dunno why someone would not like this, but go figure.

If she buys one we'll check it out. Her hubby is a chemical engineer and a pretty bright guy so I expect he'll be interested in this, too.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Moses Lake, WA

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:27 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:My daughter is interested in the Opa but would like gearing... I thought that maybe someone offers a geared hub you could put on the Opa. Anyone think this is possible?


That is a really good question.

Maybe someone can find out what the frame's rear triangle spacing is?
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:05 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:Eddie... ya, either zinc chromate or power coating would be a good thing that would keep a steel bicycle frame from rusting. I dunno why someone would not like this, but go figure.

If she buys one we'll check it out. Her hubby is a chemical engineer and a pretty bright guy so I expect he'll be interested in this, too.

====

wdr--

Reason why I asked your help with this is: I sent a really nice e-mail to the U.S. Importer of the Hollandia brand, and got no answer.

There should be some green zinc chromate "flash-over" inside the seat tube, visible as over-spray..I don't expect you guys to knock some Oma black paint off it, looking for green
paint.. :mrgreen: .. in so far as I know, maybe the entire inner surfaces are green. If they are, that would be really nice, but a lot to hope for in a $250 bike.

Thanks for looking.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Heirloom Tomato wrote:
wa_desert_rat wrote:My daughter is interested in the Opa but would like gearing... I thought that maybe someone offers a geared hub you could put on the Opa. Anyone think this is possible?


That is a really good question.

Maybe someone can find out what the frame's rear triangle spacing is?


====
Tomato--

Do you mean: What is the rear axle spacing?? The frame and rear drop outs are mild steel and
can be spread apart (cold set) by using a section of all-thread, two washers and two nuts.
Not a problem. If the geared hub is but 4 or 5 mm. wider, it'll spread that far without the cold set. It might be the same axle length, too.. ;) ..might have to do some spacer magic
to re-align the chain, though..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby sibergirlblue » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:05 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:Eddie... ya, either zinc chromate or power coating would be a good thing that would keep a steel bicycle frame from rusting. I dunno why someone would not like this, but go figure.

If she buys one we'll check it out. Her hubby is a chemical engineer and a pretty bright guy so I expect he'll be interested in this, too.


I really doubt that. So far he has been resistant to me buying "another bike" when he hasn't gotten a new one. Of course my quick suggestions was "ok lets get you a new bike too!" That didn't go too well..
sibergirlblue
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 am

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:10 pm

sibergirlblue wrote:I really doubt that. So far he has been resistant to me buying "another bike" when he hasn't gotten a new one. Of course my quick suggestions was "ok lets get you a new bike too!" That didn't go too well..


That's "catch-22": you can't have a new bike because I don't have a new bike... and I don't want a new bike. :mrgreen:

Well, you still have your allowance. :D
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm
Location: Moses Lake, WA

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Bikes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest