Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

Re: Wal*mart's Dutch Bikes...

Postby steady eddie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:03 am

The WM site say they now have the Hollandia Men's OPA bike back in stock, with free shipping site-to-store. Same price as before. Just a FYI..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:23 pm

For the forum user (1oldopa) asking about electric conversions.....

I found the following article interesting while I was doing an internet search for "electric front hub" and "Dutch bike". Apparently in 2009 the Dutch were spending more on Electric OPA bike sales than they were on conventional OPA bike sales:

It does makes sense to me. With an electric motor these heavy bikes basically don't have a downside. (The OPA durability is there and the disadvantage up going up hills due to weight/lack of gears is corrected by the electric hub motor.)

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/d ... ikes-22578

Dutch electric bike sales outstripping city bikes
By Richard Peace
In the Netherlands, sales of e-bikes like this Panasonic Vivi RX-10S are now outstripping conventional city bikes

In the Netherlands, sales of e-bikes like this Panasonic Vivi RX-10S are now outstripping conventional city bikes (Panasonic)

This year, for the first time, the Dutch spent more on electric bikes than they did on city bikes.

The shift was announced by marketing services company GfK Retail and Technology, which has been tracking sales in Dutch bike shops since 1997.

The change is unlikely to be a blip – in the first three quarters of 2008 sales were reportedly up 52 percent in value and 35 percent in volume. By the end of the year, electric bike sales accounted for 10 percent of the market according to BOVAG, the Dutch dealer association. The forecast had been for 120,000 e-bike sales. In the end, it was nearer 140,000.

The top selling e-bike brands in independent bike shops are Sparta and Batavus, according to GfK, followed by Gazelle and Giant, with Koga-Miyata in fifth place. The cheaper e-bikes tend to be bought in department and DIY stores, but 80 percent of e-bike sales are through dealers at an average price of nearly 2,000 euros.

It's a similar picture across Europe, where e-bike sales for 2008 have been estimated at about 500,000, with an expectation of between 650,000 and 700,000 this year.

“E-bikes are hot right now,” according to the general manager of Germany’s bicycle industry association, where an increase of anything between 20 and 50 percent for this year is expected.

At the Eurobike 2009 show in Friedrichshafen, Germany, in early September, visitors will be able to test-drive new models. “More than 50 top brands will be exhibited at Eurobike; all leading e-bike makers will be in Friedrichshafen,” says project manager Stefan Reisinger.

So with something like the Hollandia OPA, I wonder what would be the best way to convert the bike to electric? (What batteries should be used?, Where should the batteries be mounted? etc.)
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 am

[quote="Heirloom Tomato"
So with something like the Hollandia OPA, I wonder what would be the best way to convert the bike to electric? (What batteries should be used?, Where should the batteries be mounted? etc.)[/quote]

That is a very interesting article. You might want to take a look at the reviews for the WM "Opa" on their web site. One of them says that he bought the bike to install a "gas" motor on it and had just taken it out for a 50-miler. He says "buy it"!

For someone who lives in one of Europe's (or the USA's, for that matter) big cities an electric bike makes some sense. Although I wouldn't like to have mine stolen and I understand that bike theft is a serious problem over there. However, for where I live (in a small city of 20k) I probably wouldn't want an electric bike; I'd just ride the Harley Sportster motorcycle. It gets 50mpg and goes a lot faster than an electric Opa.

But for going to the local store, the Opa makes a LOT of sense. We live something like 10 blocks from the local supermarket (and Subway and Burrito shops) and because I can use some shortcuts (I LOVE shortcuts on a bike!!!) I can probably get to that supermarket faster on a bike than I can in a car. (OK, maybe not so quick on a 50-pound Opa).

I have to try my daughter's Dutch bike this spring. I've seen it and hefted it (I was there when she bought it) but I haven't ridden it yet.

Does anyone think that a 3-speed hub can be installed on that WM Opa?
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby steady eddie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 am

wdr---

Hollandia already did this. WM sells it, too. It is blue and is tig welded, and it is more expensive. Still is a BIG bike with the double top tube frame. It comes with the 3 speed hub already on it. And that reflects the higher cost.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:Does anyone think that a 3-speed hub can be installed on that WM Opa?

Shimano Nexus 3 speed (with coaster brake) has 120mm spacing.

http://www.bikeman.com/HU7870.html

Shimano CB-110 single speed Coaster brake hubs ( a very common item) come with 110mm spacing.

Not sure what spacing OPA comes with? My guess 110mm or 120mm.

Apparently the rear triangle of the frame (if it is 110mm) could be "cold set" to 120mm (I have never done this, but Steady Eddy mentioned this earlier in the thread).

P.S. Just for your information Sturmey Archer 8 speed also comes in 120mm spacing---> http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/ ... /6/specs/1 (EDIT: notice this version does not come with a coaster brake.....so this might be a problem if the OPA cannot be fitted with a caliper brake on the rear.)
Last edited by Heirloom Tomato on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Heirloom Tomato

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:15 pm

steady eddie wrote:wdr---

Hollandia already did this. WM sells it, too. It is blue and is tig welded, and it is more expensive. Still is a BIG bike with the double top tube frame. It comes with the 3 speed hub already on it. And that reflects the higher cost.

Yep, here it is---> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hollandia-Ams ... e/16539719
Heirloom Tomato

Previous

Return to Cargo Bikes