1970s Schwinn World Tourist Grocery Bike

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

1970s Schwinn World Tourist Grocery Bike

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:43 pm

I think this section is probably the right spot. The photo is my 1970s Schwinn World Tourist which I bought at a Goodwill store in Richland, WA for a measly $19.95. The photo was taken on its first "official" trip to the store today. Sue rode her Dutch-style bike and I took the Schwinn. The bike provided a comfortable ride both ways with the ride home (somewhat downhill) much easier due to the greater mass of the groceries. We think that between the two of us we can transport a week's worth of groceries home.

So if they take both of our driver's licenses away we won't starve to death. :P

schwinn grocery bike2.jpg
1970s Schwinn World Tourist as a shopping bike.
schwinn grocery bike2.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 1653 times

two grocery  bikes2.jpg
The Schwinn with wife's Dutch style bike at the grocery store.
two grocery bikes2.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: 1970s Schwinn World Tourist Grocery Bike

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm

The Schwinn looks small in front of the Dutch bike; only because the Dutch bike is huge. I'm 6'1" and the Schwinn fits me perfectly. Oddly enough the much larger Dutch bike fits my wife who is only 5'8". Geometry on a bike is everything.

The baskets on the Schwinn are by Wald and available at Amazon.

Both bikes would probably be suitable for commuting but we expect to use them for bicycle shopping trips and the occasional bike path. Mine might be tricky on a bike path what with those wire panniers. Hers are cloth and easy to dismount.

Scouting Goodwill and Salvation Army stores as well as craigslist for second-hand bikes suitable for carrying a load of groceries home makes perfect sense in this era of high gasoline prices and stagnant wages. I have less than $100 into that Schwinn including new tubes and tires, the front basket, the rear pannier baskets, plastic fenders and a bell.

Craig
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Very nice, love to see bikes get used to replace cars as much as possible.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Irishmongooserider wrote:Very nice, love to see bikes get used to replace cars as much as possible.

The problem is that no single bike will function in a way to replace a car. Cars take you to work, to the mall, to the soccer field with the kids, and to Portland to visit Grandma. Even for around town you probably aren't going to get groceries on your mtb. Probably no rack and for sure no front basket so where do you carry the stuff? In a backpack?

Which is probably why guys like you and me have more than a couple bicycles. That way we don't have to make one design function in a multiplicity of roles.

This is where Walmart bicycles come in. If you have to buy 3 bikes (a commuter, a mountain bike and a bike for shopping) then you might as well buy a car if they cost $1,000 each.

But if you buy your bikes from a big box store then you can afford to experiment; you can build a good mountain bike and keep that for your single track outings. You can keep it tuned just the way you like it for dirt and not have to worry about how the tires grip on pavement. Because you can afford another bike for your daily commute.

While I stumbled across a classic American touring bicycle at a Goodwill store, I was actually looking hard at a Schwinn Admiral at the local Walmart. In fact, if that Walmart hadn't have been out of them I would probably not have gone back to the Goodwill store to see if the bike I wanted was still there. (It was!)

I can have (and I *do* have) a OCLV Trek Y50 for downhill playtime; a Trek 4500 for trails; a Mongoose Deception 29er for the flowy single-track it does so well; a Peugeot PX-10 that I bought in France in 1972 for satisfying road riding; and a classic Schwinn for going shopping.

All without spending over $1200; total. By judicious choosing of big box bikes and mixing up some classic bikes along with both new bikes and used bikes acquired over the years.

Ya gotta love it!!!

Craig
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby steady eddie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:17 am

WDR--

Cool post.. 8-) ..

You can see, from your posted pic, just how BIG Sue's Dutch bike really is, and why they won't fit on a Metro Bus front rack. Or hang from a bike storage rack on one of Portland's Max Trains.<<actually they will hang up, rear wheel up, but then you must turn the front wheel sideways to clear the floor, a PITA. But also, you must muscle the thing UP there first. Old farts and most gals don't have the strength to do it. IMHO..

But they sure are cool bikes.. :mrgreen: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby MrsK » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Your wife's bike is FANTASTIC! Where did she get it??
MrsK

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:
Irishmongooserider wrote:Very nice, love to see bikes get used to replace cars as much as possible.

The problem is that no single bike will function in a way to replace a car. Cars take you to work, to the mall, to the soccer field with the kids, and to Portland to visit Grandma. Even for around town you probably aren't going to get groceries on your mtb. Probably no rack and for sure no front basket so where do you carry the stuff? In a backpack?

Which is probably why guys like you and me have more than a couple bicycles. That way we don't have to make one design function in a multiplicity of roles.

This is where Walmart bicycles come in. If you have to buy 3 bikes (a commuter, a mountain bike and a bike for shopping) then you might as well buy a car if they cost $1,000 each.

But if you buy your bikes from a big box store then you can afford to experiment; you can build a good mountain bike and keep that for your single track outings. You can keep it tuned just the way you like it for dirt and not have to worry about how the tires grip on pavement. Because you can afford another bike for your daily commute.

While I stumbled across a classic American touring bicycle at a Goodwill store, I was actually looking hard at a Schwinn Admiral at the local Walmart. In fact, if that Walmart hadn't have been out of them I would probably not have gone back to the Goodwill store to see if the bike I wanted was still there. (It was!)

I can have (and I *do* have) a OCLV Trek Y50 for downhill playtime; a Trek 4500 for trails; a Mongoose Deception 29er for the flowy single-track it does so well; a Peugeot PX-10 that I bought in France in 1972 for satisfying road riding; and a classic Schwinn for going shopping.

All without spending over $1200; total. By judicious choosing of big box bikes and mixing up some classic bikes along with both new bikes and used bikes acquired over the years.

Ya gotta love it!!!

Craig

I certainly agree on how enthusiasts like you and I have found its very hard to have one-bike-that-does-it-all and the bike actually be good at any one thing. You've kept your budget alot more in check than I have, lol.

At the moment, I've got the Mongoose Valiant, Mongoose Tyax, Mongoose Switchback SS, Sun Spider, Mongoose Paver, Mongoose DXR (first bike, have for the heck of it), and am currently building up a Mongoose Blackcomb, and a classic Sears & Roebuck Free Spirit (building it as a cool urban SS). As of now, I've got about $5500 into these, with the Blackcomb and Free Spirit still needing a number of things, so more spending to come.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:10 pm

MrsK wrote:Your wife's bike is FANTASTIC! Where did she get it??

Our daughter is an enthusiast of Euro-style bikes and has her own European bike (which she and her hubby are working on right now... replacing the front fork and the stem) and she haunts the craigslist pages all around the area. After my wife rode the Euro bike then *she* wanted one and the daughter found this one for sale in Portland, Oregon. We picked it up on our way through visiting the wife's folks north of Astoria, OR.

It is a nice bike. But they are $1k (or more) new. I think we paid $400 for it but it had everything she needed (but not every she wants). :P

Craig
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby Perez Turner » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 am

I have ridden on this bike and enjoyed very much at my friend's house. It is still in good condition and was cleaned very well. If someone has, share to me quote and I will but it.

Our Products
Perez Turner

Return to Cargo Bikes