I can Canoe... Can You?

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

I can Canoe... Can You?

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am

If you, like me, enjoy paddling but feel a little guilty knowing that every kayak or canoe comes with the 4 wheels on the car that transports it to water then you might want to take a look at the bottom of the page (link: http://www.bikeshophub.com/deliver-anyt ... e-trailer/ ). Replace canoe with kayak if you wish.

Interesting web site regardless. And also a reminder that making a living with your bicycle is possible and there is a book on Amazon that will help you get started: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 27-8763937

Of course, we here at bigboxbikes.com are already raking it in with the ads... almost 11 cents today alone!!!

I wonder if that used Schwinn I bought for $20 is deductable as a business expense.......

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: I can Canoe... Can You?

Postby RT4x4 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Lol...... they did better than I did on my truck darn Kakays stuck out for a mile :shock:
Attachments
fishing.jpg
fishing.jpg (128.6 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
RT4x4

Postby admin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 pm

LOL... hey, whatever works!!! :)

Craig
admin
Site Admin

Postby Walgoosed » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:32 pm

I hate that I spend the gas to transport my kayak to and from the water. I've heard of others using trailers to hall their kayaks but the biggest commercially built trailer I saw could only handle a kayak up to 13-14 feet. Mine is 16.5 but I've had some "pvc" pipe style trailer concepts bouncing around my head. Maybe once I make some more progress into my current projects I'll start building it into a reality. The looks I would get from people driving past me as I tow a kayak longer than their cars will surely be interesting!
Be anything you like, be madmen, drunks, and bastards of every
shape and form, but at all costs avoid one thing: success. -Thomas Merton

Walgoose Deception SS
70s Schwinn Varsity
Roadmaster Granite Peak
Walgoosed

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:40 am

Someone, and I don't know who, has said that "every kayak has 4 wheels". Meaning that most of us get our kayaks to the water using a car or truck. Every now and then I see someone who has managed to come up with a bicycle transport system which is admirable but certainly restricts your choices of where to paddle.

Even people who live on a lake or bay or river and who can get into a kayak in their own back yard and paddle away eventually face the fact that they've covered every inch of water reasonably reached by paddling and, now what?

About 5 years ago I visited an area of southwestern Washington state on the Columbia River where it suddenly became clear to me how native Americans were so closely tied to water transport. Just west of Ridgefield, WA (and within about 30 miles of downtown Portland, OR) was an ancient Chinook village at the mouth of what is now known as "Bachelor Slough". Lewis and Clark mentions this village twice in their diaries because it was relatively large and several Indians paddled their canoes out to greet them. On the return trip they stopped and traded with the residents of this village. They recorded the name as "Cathlapotle".

A friend and I were on the beach of what was once Cathlapotle on the same day Lewis and Clark saw it but 200 years later. Cathlapotle lay on a peninsula of land between Bachelor Slough and the confluence of the Lewis River with the Columbia River. Across the Columbia was Sauvie Island which held several Chinook villages. Maybe 50,000 native Americans lived within a 15 mile radius of where we sat in our kayaks on that beach. Yet there was no sign of human activity other than some pilings and a navigational marker on the opposite bank. The Indians used the water as a highway; we built our highways. In fact you cannot drive to where Cathlapotle once stood; the modern Chinook Tribal members have built a replica plank house near Cathlapotle but there is no way to reach the actual site from that location (which is easily driven to). You can't even paddle to the actual site from there and, although the distance is not far (maybe 1/2 mile) even walking to the old site would be difficult.

Made me realize just how much we have changed.

Craig

PS: Just across the Lewis River from old Cathlapotle is the beach on which the remnants of the money the first airline hijacker-for-profit received were found. D.B. Cooper may still be hanging out somewhere close. :P
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:44 am

You might be interested in my other web site: www.nwkayaking.net which has several stories about this area and paddling as well as essays on both bicycling and paddling.

Craig
WDR
wa_desert_rat

Postby Walgoosed » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:57 pm

I like the history, makes me wish I had lived in a different time period. I started looking at your site and it looked strangely familiar. Turns out that a few days ago I was searching something kayak related and stumbled across your site by accident! I agree with the bike limiting the kayaking a bit but if I'm only going out for a short paddle between classes and work the car really doesn't limit me any less, my schedule does. I usually only get out 1-2 times a month in a new area. Most of my paddling tends to be the areas that are close but with views like this I really don't mind!

Couple shots in Middle Bay near Marquette, Mi. There was some fog rolling in that gave the area a totally new look.

0611131520.jpg
0611131520.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

0611131530.jpg
0611131530.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Be anything you like, be madmen, drunks, and bastards of every
shape and form, but at all costs avoid one thing: success. -Thomas Merton

Walgoose Deception SS
70s Schwinn Varsity
Roadmaster Granite Peak
Walgoosed

Return to Cargo Bikes