Split section bag for rear rack (with carrying strap)

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

Split section bag for rear rack (with carrying strap)

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Recently, I saw the Huffy Regatta (in person) and was impressed with split rear saddle bag design concept (which I would like to use on another bike)

What other products out there are like this?

I would like something with a shoulder strap and black color.
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato

Re: Split section bag for rear rack (with carrying strap)

Postby steady eddie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:56 am

HT--

Wow..what a tough question!!

What seems to separate the really "good", expensive bags from the more affordable bags is the heavy duty and water resistant properties. Heavy duty means double stitching, with reinforced corners and brass (not nylon) zippers. Water resistant means that you can actually haul things without the worry of getting your cargo soaking wet in the rain. Almost all of the high-dollar bag sets have handles of some sort, and they co$t as much as the BBB that they are mounted on. Easy on and off hardware is handy and needed if you plan on taking them off the bike each time you stop somewhere. But don't think for a moment the
sticky-fingered bike thieves haven't figured out the *easy off" thing, too. I have a cycling buddy that got his bags ripped off while he was in the store, shopping. Literally, *ripped off*
because he had tie-wrapped the bags to his rear rack. The thief did not cut the tie wraps!!!

See:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=147&p=1022#p1022
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:06 pm

steady eddie wrote:What seems to separate the really "good", expensive bags from the more affordable bags is the heavy duty and water resistant properties. Heavy duty means double stitching, with reinforced corners and brass (not nylon) zippers. Water resistant means that you can actually haul things without the worry of getting your cargo soaking wet in the rain. Almost all of the high-dollar bag sets have handles of some sort, and they co$t as much as the BBB that they are mounted on.

Great info! Thank you for sharing those details!

steady eddie wrote: Easy on and off hardware is handy and needed if you plan on taking them off the bike each time you stop somewhere. But don't think for a moment the
sticky-fingered bike thieves haven't figured out the *easy off" thing, too. I have a cycling buddy that got his bags ripped off while he was in the store, shopping. Literally, *ripped off*
because he had tie-wrapped the bags to his rear rack. The thief did not cut the tie wraps!!!

SE--

The Regatta bag attaches to the rear rack (on either side) via two velcro straps. The velcro strips run the entire length of the bag (parallel to the ground on each side of the bag facing the bike)....but only a small portion of that length appeared to be used by the Regatta rack since the strap only wraps around the second rear rack support.

Removing the bag (from the bike) and bringing it into a building is as simple as loosening the velcro straps (and re-attaching to bag).
Heirloom Tomato

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:31 pm

The following bike shares the same rear rack design as the Regatta.

The velcro straps wrap around that rearward curved post extending up from the middle of the seat stay to the rear rack.

I am assuming the split section bag would also work on a rear rack design like this:

....using the middle post as attachment point for the velcro straps.
Heirloom Tomato

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:01 pm

The "split section bags" you're referring to are panniers. These are very popular among commuters and touring riders. I plan to get a pannier set from Sunlite for my Paver. Check out www.sunlitecycling.com
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Panniers come in various sizes and styles so you should be able to find a set that works, no matter what bike you ride.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby Perez Turner » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 am

Available rear rack designs are impressive and looks attractive. What is the price range of latest design in rear rack with Split section bag ?
Perez Turner

Return to Cargo Bikes