UPS uses bikes for delivery

Built to carry a load!
Forum rules
Be polite. Stay on topic.

UPS uses bikes for delivery

Postby Heirloom Tomato » Sat May 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Surprising, but apparently the UPS accounting department found a way to make this strategy work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3RzshYYefc

In the above video the UPS delivery person describes using her house as a UPS Hub for Holiday deliveries in the neighborhood....delivering very close to 100 packages per day!

More info here---> http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/ ... ydraulics/

December 19, 2008, 8:05 am
Latest U.P.S. Fuel-Saving Strategies: Leg Muscles and Hydraulics
By AZADEH ENSHA

BikeNick Chambers, an Oregon resident, encountered this U.P.S. delivery vehicle earlier this month. “I mean, look at that bike,” he wrote at the Gas 2.0 blog, “It’s decked out.” (Photo: Nick Chambers)

After a pilot run in 2007, United Parcel Service is once again adding bicycle carriers to meet its holiday demand. It’s a tack that, like alternative fuel vehicles and other measures the company has historically taken to reduce operational costs, provides an attending environmental benefit in the form of reduced carbon-dioxide emissions.

According to Norman Black, a company spokesman, the bikes simply make sense at this time of year. “You and I are having this conversation on the peak day of the peak season when all the volumes come together and hit us at once,” Mr. Black said. “You can imagine what a challenge it is to be able to dramatically increase your network’s capacity to reliably deliver packages.”

The company typically delivers nearly 15.8 million packages a day. During one five-day stretch of the pre-Christmas peak last year, that jumped to more than 20 million a day.

Of course, each U.P.S. bike delivery system (typically a $350 mountain bike pulling a custom trailer) can haul only 15 to 20 packages a trip — a mere fraction of what a truck can deliver. Nonetheless, the company estimates that for every three bikes deployed during peak season on the West Coast, it will save around 17 gallons of fuel a day and about $38,000 in vehicle maintenance costs.

The company first began experimenting with bikes last year in New Hampshire and Maine. This year the company expanded its bike delivery services to Washington, California, Tennessee and Oregon — the last being where Nick Chambers, an employee at the Oregon Department of Agriculture, ran into one of the U.P.S. pedalers.

He wrote about it last week at the Gas 2.0 blog:

My first thought was that somebody had started a bike delivery service. I actually had had this thought at one point, but then decided there wouldn’t be much money in it. After a while, my curiosity got the better of me, so I went to investigate.

Turns out, the woman is a U.P.S. driver — a U.P.S. driver at the bottom of the totem pole to be more exact. And she was very nice. Apparently, U.P.S. had some bean counters crunch numbers and find out that by replacing a certain number of trucks with bikes in the more temperate winter climates, they could save a boatload of money over the holiday season. In the case of my local U.P.S. district, $36,000 to be exact.

… She didn’t seem like she was happy about kind of being forced to do it because of her status as a noob driver, but she said it really wasn’t that bad except for when she had to ride in the hilly parts of town. She said that she hasn’t had to deal with any rain yet, but that she was worried that when the rain does start it might get pretty ugly for her — although it certainly looks like they’ve outfitted her to deal with bad weather.

Said Mr. Black of U.P.S.: “It’s first and foremost an operational effort. Every package that U.P.S. delivers today comes with a time guarantee so we’ve got to make our deliveries.” He added, “It clearly has environmental benefits and we’re excited by those, but it works in part because you’ve got heavy volume going into residential neighborhoods.”

(Nearly 75 percent of U.P.S.’s daily non-peak volume involves business to business packages.)

The company, which started experimenting with electric trucks in New York City as far back as the 1930s — has a long history of operational strategizing. “We literally use every fuel known to man,” Mr. Black said.

This fall, the company ordered seven hydraulic hybrid vehicles — or H.H.V.s — which are scheduled for delivery in early 2009. “We believe hydraulic hybrid offers the technology that’s, quite frankly, further along than just about anything out there,” Mr. Black said.

Kate Galbraith went into more detail on U.P.S.’s hydraulic hybrids in an October post here at Green Inc. A video tutorial on H.H.V. technology is below.
Cockpit size listing for big box bikes--> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=626
Heirloom Tomato

Return to Cargo Bikes