A one wheel pack trailer...

Gear, tips, information about bicycle camping.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous. Stay on topic.

A one wheel pack trailer...

Postby steady eddie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:32 am

Necessity is the Mother of Invention or Why the Hell Didn't I Think of That:

What it looks like, unloaded..:

Handmade from an old front fork, it looks like..hooks to the rear axle of your MTB....

On edit: The trailer shown is commercially made, here is the site:

http://www.extrawheelusa.com/
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Re: A one wheel pack trailer...

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Hmm... it looks like he's got twice as much stuff as I packed for a month in Europe on a bike. I had about 40lbs of camping gear. I think that with modern equipment I could get that down to 30lbs, actually. Down is your friend and Campmor is where I bought my $89 goose down sleeping bag and insulated air mattress.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby louisiana29er » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:10 pm

that's pretty neat, should help out a ton with camping stuff
2011 Genesis 29er, debadged, soon to get upgraded components.....
louisiana29er

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 am

G'day, that is my bike and trailer in the top post, it is an Extrawheel Voyager Solo and that is my old setup. I've refined my system a lot since that shot was taken. I was doing a search to see where my images were appearing lately and found this site.

wa_desert_rat wrote:Hmm... it looks like he's got twice as much stuff as I packed for a month in Europe on a bike.

When you were in Europe wa_desert_rat, how did you feed yourself?

I can carry 8+ weeks of food in one go on the trailer ... plus an additional 10 days of emergency food and supplies.

How far apart are the town where resupplying can happen in Europe, 3-5 kilometres apart or a bit further?

Here in Australia on the Great Dividing Range, where I like to off-road tour, the towns can be a month apart. One month or more. Did you carry a month's food at any one time? ... I can carry 9 weeks worth, plus all the fuel to cook it, an expedition water filter, both my fishing and cray-fishing gear, DSLR camera gear, -10°C down bag, snow clothing, tunnel tent, rain gear, a NextG phone with a high gain antenna, cooking gear, a medical kit, bike tools and spares and other items that reflect the real risks related to my trips ... and of course a change/s of clothes and toiletries.

All up, 32Kg of clothing and food/supplies and spares not counting water. The trailer including the wheel weighs 4.5 kg complete. The bike is a 2010 Giant Anthem X3 and weighs 12.85kg.

What you can do in Europe with a small cycling camping kit, isn't going to get you too far in the remote regions of Australia, when cycling off-road.

I hope this helps to give a better understanding of what you were looking at.

This is my cycling photos site ... http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/WildWassa/

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby steady eddie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:16 am

Warren---

Please stop by more often..and WELCOME to BBB Forum..it is good to know that you are alive and well.. :) ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby WarrenH » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 am

Eddie, G'day. Thank you Mate.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby desertguns » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Awesome pics at your link, Warren. Had to Google some locations on the map photo to figure out where in Australia you were. Most Americans only think about the Outback & 2000 mile straight highways when we think of Aussies :D Beautiful country you're riding. BTW - Your road rations look very much like my bug-out bag. 8-)

I live in the desert so water (and potassium/salt tabs) is always the number one concern with ration choice or a local day ride. 9 lbs of water for a day trip is not unusual for me. If you don't leak for several hours, it's usually already too late :geek:
desertguns

Postby EasyRider » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 am

WarrenH wrote:G'day, that is my bike and trailer in the top post, it is an Extrawheel Voyager Solo and that is my old setup. I've refined my system a lot since that shot was taken. I was doing a search to see where my images were appearing lately and found this site.

wa_desert_rat wrote:Hmm... it looks like he's got twice as much stuff as I packed for a month in Europe on a bike.

When you were in Europe wa_desert_rat, how did you feed yourself?

I can carry 8+ weeks of food in one go on the trailer ... plus an additional 10 days of emergency food and supplies.

How far apart are the town where resupplying can happen in Europe, 3-5 kilometres apart or a bit further?

Here in Australia on the Great Dividing Range, where I like to off-road tour, the towns can be a month apart. One month or more. Did you carry a month's food at any one time? ... I can carry 9 weeks worth, plus all the fuel to cook it, an expedition water filter, both my fishing and cray-fishing gear, DSLR camera gear, -10°C down bag, snow clothing, tunnel tent, rain gear, a NextG phone with a high gain antenna, cooking gear, a medical kit, bike tools and spares and other items that reflect the real risks related to my trips ... and of course a change/s of clothes and toiletries.

All up, 32Kg of clothing and food/supplies and spares not counting water. The trailer including the wheel weighs 4.5 kg complete. The bike is a 2010 Giant Anthem X3 and weighs 12.85kg.

What you can do in Europe with a small cycling camping kit, isn't going to get you too far in the remote regions of Australia, when cycling off-road.

I hope this helps to give a better understanding of what you were looking at.

This is my cycling photos site ... http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/WildWassa/

Warren.

Crikey that is amazing!

It takes some big cojones to wonder off into the middle of nowhere alone like that; glad to see you're so well prepared.
Formally WallyNiner
EasyRider

Postby wa_desert_rat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Terrific photos. I, too, had the idea that the "outback" in Australia looked more like Nevada's deserts than the rolling country of Ohio. Some beautiful places to bicycle and I fully agree that the village-every-5km bicycling in EU is much easier to do.

What does your current system look like?
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby WarrenH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 am

desertguns, WallyNiner and wa_desert_rat, I hope that you are all well. Thank you for your comments, they're much appreciated and most rewarding.

Sorry to take a while to return. I went out west onto the flood plains of the Eastern Riverena (not far from home) and the region got seriously flooded. I had to wait. I've now returned home and put the shots on my Photobucket site.

I stacked my first trailer a while back and bent one of the hitching arms. It certainly pays to stick below the manufacturer's advised maximum speed. When I stacked the trailer on the dirt, I was traveling far too fast. I lost it in pea gravel and the hitching arm dug in and was bent. The stainless steel ferule came off and I did bodgie repairs and then limped to where I was heading. Because the trailer frames are so light, they do need to be well cared for so impulsive or risk taking cycling styles, needs to be curbed ... as I have found, to my peril.

The new and the damaged trailer.

Warren.
WarrenH

Next

Return to Camping and Bikepacking