Rear Cargo Racks Roundup...

Gear, tips, information about bicycle camping.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous. Stay on topic.

Re: Rear Cargo Racks Roundup...

Postby steady eddie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:18 am

EV---

Please do not count on the plate to act as a fender. Only fenders keep the mess off of you and any cargo you might be carrying.

Here is link to a classic style rear rack, made of cast alloy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... images_all

This is the classic rear rack as used on every old Schwinn 5-speed (and 10-speed).

All you have to do to keep it looking nice is to (barely) hit it with Never-Dull wadding polish, and it looks like chrome. The support legs are steel. The "mouse trap" spring loaded holder holds well..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby EscapeVelocity » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:34 am

Wald 215 is made in USA (Tennessee).

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby EscapeVelocity » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks Steady Eddie.

I think Im going with black to match the bike though. I like all 4 of the originally posted racks. Ive been working my tail off, so havent had much time with the bike yet. I checked and I do have 2 top screw threaded rack mounts on the dropouts (is that what you call them?) Im wondering if you might need some flex in the legs to spread to match the drop outs. Also the threaded mounts are partially obscured by a lip but I guess you could use some spacers to get past them. Ill take a pic. Maybe Mongoose Jake (whose stated that he will be getting a rear rack for his Tyax has any tips.)

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby EscapeVelocity » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Here are some pics...

The first 2 pics are of the right side of the bike the last 2 pics are of the left side of the bike. The first pic of each side shows the threaded mounting hole and the lip and the 2nd is a top down vertical shot showing how the lip obscures the line to the threaded mounting hole from above and forward of vertical.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:22 pm

EV, the best rack for the Tyax's rear dropouts would probably be the Sunlite Gold Tec Disk rack (the part number for JBImporters is 45843 for black 45844 for silver). Topeak's Explorer Disk rack would also be a good choice to fit the Tyax's special dropouts.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby desertguns » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:46 pm

EV - I use this one- seat post mount with QR - http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... p?id=23963

Works great. It doesn't slip & the QR makes it easy to remove when not needed. I use it on my Genesis 29er with up to two ATV gel cell batteries for halogen lights, or a six pack (w/cooler), tackle box & battery :) I did cut a bushing from an old inner tube for the seat clamp. Have also used it on the Deception. I'm sure it will handle more than the 25lbs it's rated for too.

desertguns

Postby Irishmongooserider » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm

I personally prefer frame mounted racks after having both types. I just like the solid mounting, and less stress on a lightweight seatpost. You have to be sure your post handles you, the rack, and the cargo. No carbon or light alloy posts!
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby desertguns » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Irishmongooserider wrote: No carbon or light alloy posts!

10-4 on the carbon or a racing post. Figured EV had enough common sense to know that, and isn't a factor on his stock Tyax. Not likely he's putting a $100+ seat post on a street bike with a rack either. There isn't a problem with this rack on standard alloy posts. i know because it's been on 4 posts between the two bikes.

And while EV said he didn't want a seat-post mounted rack, he also said he didn't know much about racks. Cheap seat-post racks can be a pain, slip & get a bad rap. Thought this might be where he was coming from. They're not all the same & I was giving him an option for a proven commodity that I have experience with. It also allows one to easily take the rack off when not in use which may be desirable for a number of reasons, especially on a Tyax.
desertguns

Postby EscapeVelocity » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ill check into those racks. I forgot about this thread and just now getting back to it.

I found this one which looks pretty good at Walmart. Its steel and has a spring loaded compression lid. They also have a similar one in aluminum alloy.

Universal Bike Carrier Rack $15

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal-Bik ... k/11065174

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby steady eddie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Walmart happens to have a dandy:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mighty-Full-A ... k/13442782

It is made from hollow alloy tubing..and is rated for 100 pounds.. :!: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

PreviousNext

Return to Camping and Bikepacking