Rear Cargo Racks Roundup...

Gear, tips, information about bicycle camping.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous. Stay on topic.

Rear Cargo Racks Roundup...

Postby EscapeVelocity » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:23 pm

So Im looking for some rear racks for the Tyax Elite. I dont know the first thing about bike racks.

Im thinking that I want more support than a seatpost clamp rack. I do have mounts on the seat stays. But not sure about any mounts on the dropouts. I also have disc brakes which may get in the way.

So Im looking for something with 2 or 3 support bars on each side going to the hub/dropouts on the rear wheel whatever is the proper terminology, and dual support bars to the seatstay mounts.

I will probably be doing the bungeed milk crate thing. Wondering if a 6 Gallon crate will fit on a flat rear rack without too much over hang. The extra space would be appreciated. If not a classic 4 Gallon crate will be the order of the day. Do the 4 Gallon crates fit on the racks with rear lips?

What are some brand names of rack makers?

Steel vs aluminum? Not really concerned too much about weight, but rather load carrying ability. Probably painted steel would be better, heh?

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Re: Rear Cargo Racks Roundup...

Postby EscapeVelocity » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Looks like I should have put this in Bikepacking and Camping.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby EscapeVelocity » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Wald 215 (Black Powder Coated Steel)

Topeak Explorer (Aluminum) Also available in Disc Brake Mount style.

Blackburn EX-1 (Aluminum) Also available in Disc Brake Mount style.

Jandd Standard or Expedition Expedition shown.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:26 am

I'll move it over to the other forum...

I have a seatpost-mount rack (so does my wife) and I like them after a good bit of cynicism about them. I no longer put panniers and bike camp so the most that goes onto the rack is a tool pack with tubes, multi-tool, patches, snack, camera, etc. The annoying thing about my wife's (Schwinn) rack is that it rotates too easily ont he post and I can't seem to get it tight enough to stop that. Otherwise it carries the stuff she puts in it.

Of course, for anything substantial you need a "real" rack. I like that "Expedition" that EV posted photos of. Wish I'd had something like that 30 years ago. Oh, well....

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Moving the topic.... the software lets me move a topic to another forum and leave a "ghost" of the thread in the original forum so, basically, it's in two places.

I think there is plenty of interest in rear racks of all sorts and since EV posted such great photos of various racks it's nice to have it in both places. :)

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby EscapeVelocity » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Im looking for something a bit more substantial than the seatpost mount rear rack. But I dont plan on hauling pannier bags. One bar to the hub would probably suffice, but 2 is even better, 3 is getting a little overkill for my purposes...but still OK.

The questions are...

Steel or aluminum?

and can you use a non-disc brake specific rack? Specifically on the Mongoose Tyax?

I like the Steel Black Powder Coated Wald 215 the ignorant best.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby steady eddie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:26 am

EV--

Welcome to the BBB Forum.. :) ..

Cargo Racks are listed by weight carrying capability. Steel racks are strongest followed by alloy racks. Steel racks are easily repaired if a sectional weld/join should come adrift.
Almost any place has a gas welder available for repairs. Not so for aluminum.

Made from tubes or solid bar stock?? Tubes are probably the best/lightest of the steel racks.

One, two, or three legs?? The down legs on any rack are what lends stability, so the more the merrier. The "J-ends" on the lower part of the forward and rear legs are for hooking a bungee cord into.

Chrome, powder coating or paint?? Chrome will rust and paint chips off, so a powder coat works best.

The milk rack carrier box/crate?? Make sure that you can swing your leg up and over whichever crate you choose. Not a real issue for a young rider, I suppose, but for a boomer, maybe. I think the "hot set-up" is a 6-gallon crate with the top X-number of inches sawn off, to make it level with the seat... :idea: ..
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby EscapeVelocity » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Most of the Aluminum racks are tubes I think. Didnt realize that the steel racks were sometimes also done with tubes instead of rods. Are any of the Aluminum racks done with rods?

Im torn over the lighter weight aluminum and heavier but stronger steel. The ability to field repair isnt much of a consideration for me personally, as I wont be touring.

Still confused about disc brake mounts vs traditional. Can you use the traditional on bikes with disc brakes? Or is that a questionable proposition, yes perhaps, but with modification type dealio.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby EscapeVelocity » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 pm

The Jandd racks are powder coated steel. The Jandd Expedition is extra long and wide, as you can see from the pic it extends farther back over the wheel than others.

Some racks have a solid center plate that acts somewhat like a fender.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Postby EscapeVelocity » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:17 pm

I really like the wide platform of the Jandd Standard. It lacks a reflector mount though. And Im not over enthusiastic about the support rod configuration.

I like the slim steel rods of the Wald and the 2 support rod per side configuration. It lacks a plate-fender though. Does have a reflector mount. Front mounting system seems lacking compared to others, less stable perhaps....but works on bikes without rear frame rack mounts.

The Blackburn has triple side support bars, lacks reflector mount, and no plate-fender.

The Topeak seems to have it all.

The Wald is $12 though with free shipping from Amazon (on orders over $25). That price is hard to beat, if I can use it on a disc brake equipped bike. The Topeak Explorer is $30+ish. The Jandd is $50ish. And lastly the Blackburn is $40ish.

Blackburn racks are Made in USA.

2011 Mongoose Tyax Elite
EscapeVelocity

Next

Return to Camping and Bikepacking