Bike Packing - the other bikepacking!

Gear, tips, information about bicycle camping.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous. Stay on topic.

Bike Packing - the other bikepacking!

Postby AR.Nola » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Bike Packing, the other bikepacking!

I had to transport my bike by air so I needed to pack it well. If you ever find yourself needing to transport your bike by air, I hope this post will help. Ive done this a few times before and my bike luckily got there okay everytime.

First, I gathered the stuff I needed. The factory box (I got my Mongoose XR-Pro still in a box, untouched by Walmart bike assemblers!), tons of pipe insulation in different sizes, zip ties, an extra/unused stem, some old boxes, shrink wrap tape, packaging tape, tools, a plastic piece that protects the rear derailleur and something to keep the fork legs from being bent and squeezed together. I am using the hard plastic fork dropout spacer that came with a Rockshox SID. You may also use an old hub or maybe an axle with nuts. You may also want to prep the box like reinforcing around the grab/carry holes with tape, I did.

First thing I did to the bike is to remove air. I purged the air from the fork and the rear shock. The airlines dont require you to do this but I suggest that you do. If your air pressure is at or near the shock seal's max treshold and the atmospheric pressure drops when the airplane is airborne, it is possible to blow the seal. Next, I deflated both tires which the airlines require you to do. I never converted the tires to tubeless because I knew Id be flying the bike. If it were tubeless and the tire bead unseats when I deflate it, it would be difficult to air it up again at my destination if I dont have a compressor. It can be done but Id rather save myself the trouble and just use inner tubes.

Next, I shifted to the biggest chainring to protect the chainring teeth. I also shifted to the largest cog to draw the rear derailleur inward. Others, prefer to just remove the rear derailleur. Next, the pedals came off (also required by airlines) and zip tied together.

Next step - pipe insulation! Pipe insulation everywhere! Zip tied to keep them in place. I also installed the plastic fork spacer between the fork dropouts and kept it in place with shrink wrap film. I didnt need brake pad spacers for the calipers as I use mechanical disc brakes, one advantage over hydraulic brakes. I then zip tied the left crank arm to the left chainstay to keep it in place then the rear derailleur protector in its place.

Next, I got the old boxes and cut four round pieces to protect the spokes. If you are removing the rear wheel, you will also need a spacer for the rear dropouts.

The airlines also require that the handlebar be parallel to the rest of the bike. The stem and handlebar (together) came off next and covered with pipe insulation then zip tied to the fork. I chose to remove the handlebar and stem together as it is easier to install the stem with the handlebar to the steerer tube instead of installing the handlebar to the stem, which takes more time. I then installed another stem to the steerer tube and bolted the top cap back on to hold the fork and headset in place. You may also use a stack of headset spacers instead of another stem. The saddle and seatpost (together) also came off, again covered with protective material. The bottle cage came off as well.

Before putting everything inside the box, I ziptied the pedals, front quick release skewer, bottle cage, shock pump and seat/seatpost to the bike frame. Once everything is inside, I added more box pieces on the inside in places that need more protection.

Taped up the box and done! One last thing to do is be worried and pray that my bike gets there intact!

If you have another method of how you pack your bike, please share. Or, if you have a suggestion on how I could have done it better, please let me know. Thanks.
AR.Nola

Re: Bike Packing - the other bikepacking!

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:02 am

This is a terrific video... I'll have to think up a way to give it more visibility in a search because I'm pretty sure many of us face this sort of issue and this was the best description of the process I've seen yet.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: Bike Packing - the other bikepacking!

Postby AR.Nola » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:09 pm

wdr,

Thanks for recognizing the post. If you are wondering, yes, the bike got there alright. Bike and box had no damage whatsoever.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!
AR.Nola

Return to Camping and Bikepacking