Self sealing/thorn resisting tubes

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

Self sealing/thorn resisting tubes

Postby RickM » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Has anybody any experience with these kind of tubes?

I have to replace mine because of age, and with all the thorns and acorns around here, I want to be safe.

From what I found out, the thorn resistant tubes are thicker, the seal sealing ones not really, but contain sealant in case of a flat.

Because of that I would prefer to go with thorn resistant ones, I saw Bontrager makes them, any thoughts on that? Any other ideas or manufacturers to consider?

I have Kenda Kross Plus tires in case it matters, size 700x42C (44-622).

Thanks all!
RickM

Re: Self sealing/thorn resisting tubes

Postby dddd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 am

With both types, be sure to get the right size and width so that the tube doesn't have to over-stretch to fill the tire casing.
Many tubes seem to be sized on the small size, either to save cost or to advertise a lower weight.
Above a certain tube width however, the tire becomes more difficult to get installed on the rim, not a problem though if the tire is within limits of the tube's size range.

Thorn-resistant tubes can often allow one to keep on riding even with a large cut in the tire casing, while sealant is effective only on the smaller punctures.

Obviously the tubes with sealant are lighter than thorn-resistant tubes, and roll with a bit less resistance. They are messy though when sealant seeps into the tire and rim cavity.

Somehow it is easier to have a presta valve break free of a thorn-resistant tube in my experience, so avoid pushing, pulling and bending of the stem when installing or inflating, and don't over-tighten the little locknuts.
dddd

Re: Self sealing/thorn resisting tubes

Postby metalman302 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:18 pm

I've had two bike shops said that they can't put slime through a presta valve without a removable core, but the internet says you can but it's just a pain in the ass. Check if the thorn resistant ones you're looking still have removable cores or not.

I do hear Stan's works pretty good in tubes too.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Return to Components